Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Midnighter’s persona is crafted to compensate for assumed stereotypes.

Iceman is lucky enough to benefit from an audience that doesn’t expect his behavior to compensate or affirm his orientation. His writer enjoys writing him as a gay man with gay cultural interests.

Im hoping Kwannon and Neal Shaara meet cute.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 01-06-2019 at 09:09 PM.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Why couldn't he be bisexual?

Bisexuals are under-represented in the Big Two comics. The most popular bisexual reps in X-Men are Mystique and Daken and people keep forgetting Psylocke fucked Cluster.
    And even Mystique hardly counts since she hasn't had a woman since Destiny, who was offed & not coming back. They seem determined to keep foisting her on Creed, whom she has no business with & canonly found repulsive. Then they retconned Azazel into her past. And I think even when it comes to manipulating people with sex, all her victims are men. Wasn't she with Forge, and crazy for Iceman at one point?

It's the reverse of Willow. She had a serious relationship with Oz, then became women-only. Mystique had serious relations with Destiny, then was forever with men afterwards
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 01-06-2019 at 09:30 PM.

So we need to find women for Raven and more men for Bobby.

Vange Whedon?

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Bisexuals have Julio Esteban Richter.
    I believe Rictor has stated that he is gay, on panel, but I'll have to look through my backlog to be sure. He might be bisexual, but living as a gay man, meaning his primary attraction is other men, with the occasional woman getting him going. Wikipedia and other sources list him as a gay man, for what it's worth.

Like with Bobby, I could easily have a accepted him as bisexual, but I can also accept him as a gay man, because his arc is very much one ACTUAL GAY MEN GO THROUGH.

It amazes me how often the haters ignore that...

Anyway, I tried to Google it, and all I found was this cesspool of heterocentric bullcrap: https://comicvine.gamespot.com/ricto...tor-gay-22160/
    Last edited by zinderel; 01-06-2019 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    I wonder what people would think if Betsy and Kwannon got together.
    It'd be weird but better than being stuck on the same unhealthy annoying old storyline with Warren.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    And even Mystique hardly counts since she hasn't had a woman since Destiny.
    She does "count". Marvel clearly has avoided giving her more female love interests and outside of mentions of Destiny her interest in women isn't explored at all but that doesn't mean her queerness expired or something because she hasn't had a woman in forever (that we know of).

Incredible Member

So we need to find women for Raven and more men for Bobby.

Vange Whedon?
    Let's bring back Val Cooper and put mystique and her in a relationship.
    "I love you Raven, but trust you? No way!"

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    I believe Rictor has stated that he is gay, on panel, but I'll have to look through my backlog to be sure. He might be bisexual, but living as a gay man, meaning his primary attraction is other men, with the occasional woman getting him going. Wikipedia and other sources list him as a gay man, for what it's worth.

Like with Bobby, I could easily have a accepted him as bisexual, but I can also accept him as a gay man, because his arc is very much one ACTUAL GAY MEN GO THROUGH.

It amazes me how often the haters ignore that...

Anyway, I tried to Google it, and all I found was this cesspool of heterocentric bullcrap: https://comicvine.gamespot.com/ricto...tor-gay-22160/
    This thread on Comicvine made me laugh, I can almost hear some panicking on their Keyboard!

What are you if you’re a man whose been with another man for years but more often than not has erotic dreams featuring women?

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mah VM View Post
    She does "count". Marvel clearly has avoided giving her more female love interests and outside of mentions of Destiny her interest in women isn't explored at all but that doesn't mean her queerness expired or something because she hasn't had a woman in forever (that we know of).
    Didn't say it expired. But Marvel seems to wanna ignore that side of her given the lack of focus on it and their affinity for pairing her with a man she hated throughout the 90's & early 2000's.

Thankfully, they did have her & Destiny confirm their ship on panel. So it's not stuck in Word of God / Gay territory like other confirmations & ships. But it's borderline.

What are you if you’re a man whose been with another man for years but more often than not has erotic dreams featuring women?
    Depends how you choose to identify yourself. Some on the outside would call that a straight man who thought he was gay but is realizing he isn't (This is almost entirely in the realm of fantasy, mind you, since 'coming out as straight' isn't...a thing. Some would state that he is bisexual, and is experiencing a shift in the weight of his attractions. Others would say he's gay, but confused.

In general, I just try to respect how people label themselves. If Betsy identifies as bisexual, and says so, great! She's bisexual! If Bobby or Rictor say they are gay, despite a history of pursuit of women? Great! They're gay, no matter what anyone else has to say, or thinks about it.
    Last edited by zinderel; 01-06-2019 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mogwen View Post
    This thread on Comicvine made me laugh, I can almost hear some panicking on their Keyboard!
    Comicvine is in general a pretty immature place, so i'm not surprised.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Yeah, I'd argue that X-23, almost as literal a Wolverine derivative as any (even if I'd argue that she's developed into her own character), was the last new character to have any degree of staying power and carve out their own niche in the franchise.

As far as new characters not Wolverine-based, my guess would be Apocalypse from the late '80s, but I don't know that much about X-Men comics, so I could be overlooking someone. (The Cuckoos seem to be hanging on, but I don't think they've made themselves as big yet as X-23, much less Apocalypse.)
    I think that Laura is becoming more and more like Logan (or at least a caricature of Logan) every issue, at least outside of her own comic. When she appears in an ensemble she gets reduced to Girlverine, and that's pretty sad. The current new character de jour seems to be Gabby (but how long she'll stick once her biggest fan isn't writing is anyone's guess), another claw-popper.

The was Quentin, but I think he was more pushed by the X-office in spite of popular demand than anything else. The Cuckoos have some staying power, but in the comics they built of of Emma Frost, although being part of a TV show is a huge push that might get them into something more permanent.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Bisexuals have Julio Esteban Richter.
    No, Rictor's gay. Shatterstar's the bi one in their relationship

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    Someone doesn't agree with changing established canon so the must hate gay people. That's the only possible reason.
    Nothing changed. Subtext was made canon and the character had been repressing their true identity. Nothing about what he did before the reveal was changed. None of his relationships with women were retconned away. Get over it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    Bobby went from being the mutant version of Spider-Man to being a raging queen. He not only came out, his entire personality changed.
    Firstly; he's no where near a "raging queen".

Secondly; he's revealed something about himself he's been hiding for a long time and can finally be open, honest and relaxed about who he is. Of course that's going to make him act slightly different that he used to. Anyone who knew someone both before and after they came out would be able to recognise this. No wonder homophobes can't...

Midnighter’s persona is crafted to compensate for assumed stereotypes.

Iceman is lucky enough to benefit from an audience that doesn’t expect his behavior to compensate or affirm his orientation. His writer enjoys writing him as a gay man with gay cultural interests.
    It works so well. He's far from the stereotype the homophobes try to label him as.

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    No, Rictor's gay. Shatterstar's the bi one in their relationship
    Almost everything I’ve read online maintains that Rictor is a bisexual serial monogamist and Shatterstar is a bisexual hedonist. Did Rictor recently specify his identity?