Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

What makes Steve and Diana's relationship special in the DC universe?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    For one thing, it’s one of the few instances these days of a superhero dating a “civilian”.

The norm for quite a while, not just at DC but Marvel as well, is for heroes to date each other.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    For one thing, it’s one of the few instances these days of a superhero dating a “civilian”.

The norm for quite a while, not just at DC but Marvel as well, is for heroes to date each other.
    Furthermore, it's even less common for a female superhero to date a civilian male character. Cries of "unworthy" and all sorts of weird stuff.

BANNED

It's special in that they're both virtuous warriors in their own sense and place in the world, both tackle the sensational with a firm approach

Do you think rebirth Steve is a well written character? I feel like Dc many times has only focused on his military career and not other aspects. Like what his other life or his family?

BANNED

Do you think rebirth Steve is a well written character? I feel like Dc many times has only focused on his military career and not other aspects. Like what his other life or his family?
    I liked that one-shot he had with his team from the movie. They haven't quite stuck with that for them or given them other one-shots...I'm afraid if they ever did give him an ongoing, he'd split from Diana like Selina did with Bruce

That's the only issue I have. DC doesn't give him other things. He only cares about military and Diana. What about his family and his interested. Diana might be powerful but what does Steve being to the table?

New phone = new phone case
    Attached Images Attached Images

All-New Member

I feel like this thread is in desperate need of some loving. It's not fair (and somewhat baffling) that WW gets paired up with other established heroes from different superhero families more than she does with her original love interest from her own mythos.

I love their relationship. I love that they are one of the few female superhero - civilian male love interest couples in comics, because it exposes the double standards that people are usually completely fine with female love interests being mortal and helpless, but as soon as a man is put in the same position, it's "emasculating" for him (sexism and toxic masculinity for the price of one). I like that Diana loves him not because he's the alpha male, or able to take her on in a fistfight, but because he's kind, and brave, and makes her happy. It would be logical that someone like her who didn't grow up in a patriarchal society and who has no knowledge of our commonly-accepted "desirable masculine traits" would see things this way.

I love that he's (for the most part) comfortable with her outshining him because he understands that the world needs her, and that outweighs any feeling of inadequacy or insecurity that he might feel. I like that he's accepted that he is only a mortal with mortal limits and there's only so much he can do, and his inability to stop angry gods and aliens is not a reflection of his own incompetence. At his best, Steve Trevor is someone who does his best with what he can, and when he can't, he lets his superpowered girlfriend handle it while cheering her on.

I love that when written well, Diana admires his tenacity to do what is right despite his human limitations. They are matched in their moral compass and strength of spirit. It is a union born between two people who couldn't be any more different over their shared desire to do good in the world. Despite their different methods, backgrounds and upbringings, they are equally determined heroes who believe in the same things.

I hate that Steve's absence as her love interest in 25 years of modern comics hurt their popularity. I hate that other superheroes were allowed to be in love and have relationships yet Post-Crisis WW had nothing except for an infatuation for Superman (carefully crafted to fit her babe in the woods image they were going for), and occasional short-lived romances that never stuck. I hate how even to this day, Diana and Steve aren't taken seriously as a ship, partly because Steve's Post-Crisis role got the short end of the development stick, and partly because some fans believe WW should be paired up with someone more on par with her physically (and therefore completely missing the point of WW as a character).

However, I am grateful that the 2017 movie has once again brought them into the mainstream spotlight, and I'm hoping they at least stay stable for the next decade or so (since comic book writers seem to believe that no relationship can go 2 pages without some drama or the other happening) so they can at least establish themselves again. For a comic couple that debuted in 1941, the treatment that they've been getting is absolutely abysmal.

Sadly many times don't make Steve fleshed-out characters. Only just military nothing else. What does he do outside

All-New Member

Sadly many times don't make Steve fleshed-out characters. Only just military nothing else. What does he do outside
    I thought Rucka was doing a fine job fleshing him out. That was one of the things I liked about his run, that he actually made use of existing WW supporting characters like Steve, Etta, and Barbara Ann (in her civilian identity, not just as Cheetah), instead of trying to "leave his mark" on WW by reinventing her and putting his own OCs in at the expense of WW herself (Looking at you, GWW).

Arrow

Bingo, this is the crux of the whole problem with Steve. He is viewed by many rightly or wrongly as a non-entity due to his paper-thin portrayal. Other than being Wondy's default love interest and a military guy what has he got going for him? His interests, hopes, dreams, fears, and background are hardly ever mentioned. He is essentially a male damsel. He exists to motivate the hero and help move the hero's story along. Steve is by far the least developed of the golden age DC love interests. Take Lois and Selina, for example, as counterpoints to Steve unlike him both have clear agency outside of their romantic partner.
    Last edited by Celgress; 09-11-2019 at 07:33 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

In marston’s he is well flesh out also. When he isn’t helping the military. He helps his sister and his niece with sports. Goes to movies, Cooks and other things. Why does he join the military. Favorite music.