Page 102 of 215 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112152202 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 3224
  1. #1516
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    11,636

    Default


  2. #1517
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Absolutely. It's long overdue we move away from fridging Lois. I love Superman and always want an emotionally gripping tale where he's concerned but that will never involve killing Lois.

    It's a great quote if only the story went a different way.
    try not to kill Lois to create emo Superman story line challenge. XD i love Ross's artwork for that story. his Lois was one of the most beautiful Lois ever. tho his superman looks old somehow even when he was younger lol
    Lois and Clark, Clark and Lois..no matter what, when or where it's always you two. Even in fractured quantum space-time you manage to find each other..but if those tinkering busybodies couldn't keep you apart, why should I waste my time?- Mr Mxyzptlk, Superman #19

  3. #1518
    Astonishing Member Soubhagya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    3,277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cookies View Post

    but we all agree killing Lois to advance the story plot was a lazy writing.
    I won't mind a dead Lois Lane that much. Some of the greatest love stories end with the lovers not ending up together. The most prominent example might be Romeo and Juliet. (In a way they did end up together). You have Casablanca.

    But the recent stories have put a bad taste in my mouth. The idea has become prominent that without Lois Superman would loose touch with humanity. Or go bad. So, yeah i agree. It has become something like a crutch.

    One of my favorite Clois stories has Lois dying. The end of All Star had them separated with Lois awaiting Clark's return. And she dies. But they are reunited at the end of DC One Million. Illustrating the line about the love which exists till the end of time.

    That's how i end the story in my mind. You have pathos. An ingredient of many a great story. But you have hope too. Light at the end of the tunnel. His symbol stands for hope. Its hard to figure an unhappy ending for Superman. Like he said. There is always a way.

    What do you think?
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-11-2019 at 07:32 AM.

  4. #1519
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    11,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    I won't mind a dead Lois Lane that much. Some of the greatest love stories end with the lovers not ending up together. The most prominent example might be Romeo and Juliet. (In a way they did end up together). You have Casablanca.

    But the recent stories have put a bad taste in my mouth. The idea has become prominent that without Lois Superman would loose touch with humanity. Or go bad. So, yeah i agree. It has become something like a crutch.

    One of my favorite Clois stories has Lois dying. The end of All Star had them separated with Lois awaiting Clark's return. And she dies. But they are reunited at the end of DC One Million. Illustrating the line about the love which exists till the end of time.

    That's how i end the story in my mind. You have pathos. An ingredient of many a great story. But you have hope too. Light at the end of the tunnel. His symbol stands for hope. Its hard to figure an unhappy ending for Superman. Like he said. There is always a way.

    What do you think?
    I think you need to look up the defintion of an appreciation thread. We cherish Lois and Clark for what they do together, not apart.

  5. #1520
    Astonishing Member Soubhagya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    3,277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I think you need to look up the defintion of an appreciation thread. We cherish Lois and Clark for what they do together, not apart.
    People can be together but be miles apart. And they can be miles apart but still be together.

    I mentioned something that i liked. I am sorry if my post went against the spirit of the thread.

    Something bad can lead to something good. I invite Clois fans to write something they like. You love a story. Share with us why you love that. You love a scene. What do you cherish about that scene? Or just write why you love Lois and Clark.

    Two lines is as good as two pages, if it comes from the heart. So, Clois lovers? Are you game?

  6. #1521
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    11,636

    Default


  7. #1522
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    2,405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    I won't mind a dead Lois Lane that much. Some of the greatest love stories end with the lovers not ending up together. The most prominent example might be Romeo and Juliet. (In a way they did end up together). You have Casablanca.

    But the recent stories have put a bad taste in my mouth. The idea has become prominent that without Lois Superman would loose touch with humanity. Or go bad. So, yeah i agree. It has become something like a crutch.

    One of my favorite Clois stories has Lois dying. The end of All Star had them separated with Lois awaiting Clark's return. And she dies. But they are reunited at the end of DC One Million. Illustrating the line about the love which exists till the end of time.

    That's how i end the story in my mind. You have pathos. An ingredient of many a great story. But you have hope too. Light at the end of the tunnel. His symbol stands for hope. Its hard to figure an unhappy ending for Superman. Like he said. There is always a way.

    What do you think?
    I completely abhor Romeo and Juliette. I cannot help but reason how those two children could have had a different outcome than dying for one another if they just took a moment from being too emotionally driven. If anyone loves them, sorry but not sorry.

    I think after all these years of Lois dying being used to tell some horrible narrative about Superman has worn its welcome to the point that people are genuinely put off Superman because the instant he loses Lois, he becomes evil or something just as dreary. And they question whether he's truly a hero and I hate that.

    There's other ways of dealing with their separation but DC has exhausted the fanbase's patience with how badly Lois is treated in these stories that any whiff of separation causes a premature meltdowns. I'm happy to have them happy and together for the long foreseeable future after the long drought. I don't care if it means missing out on future critically acclaimed writing and art that dips in the fridging pool or some other equivalent of showing an emotionally wrought Superman because Lois is out of his life.

    I already know he'll be distraught if he loses her, that doesn't mean I want to see it for the umpteenth time.
    Last edited by rpmaluki; 02-11-2019 at 08:41 AM.

  8. #1523
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    2,405

    Default

    I want to read every available story there is for Lois and Clark but sadly I have my limits now as to whether I will enjoy it. It's one of the reasons I have barely read back issues since I started reading Superman comics. I never was picky but I am today because DC hasn't always done right by these characters.

  9. #1524
    Mighty Member Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,081

    Default

    Yeah, at this point fridging any character is just such a lazy story idea. With Lois, given how often it's the go to way to show some drama for Superman, it's beyond lazy and it's more or less telling me you're story ideas are limited ro teenage edgelord stuff. If you can't figure out how to write tension or drama in a relationship between two characters without killing one of them, I'm unlikely to give your work a second look. I mean, it's been done, badly mainly, and damages Superman's character in the process.

    At least with someone like Tom Taylor, he was pretty vocal about his distaste for what he was required to do in Injustice, took care that it wasn't presented in the comic in a gross or sensationalized way, and he's since shown he cares about the character and can write a kick ass Lois & Clark.

    A little off topic, the Lego Movie 2 actually goes right at this type of storytelling, calls out the juvenile idea that things have to be "dark, grim and edgy" to be "mature." That mentality has poisoned comics for so long and is probably the biggest reason for their decline.

  10. #1525
    Astonishing Member Soubhagya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    3,277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    I completely abhor Romeo and Juliette. I cannot help but reason how those two children could have had a different outcome than dying for one another if they just took a moment from being too emotionally driven. If anyone loves them, sorry but not sorry.

    I think after all these years of Lois dying being used to tell some horrible narrative about Superman has worn its welcome to the point that people are genuinely put off Superman because the instant he loses Lois, he becomes evil or something just as dreary. And they question whether he's truly a hero and I hate that.

    There's other ways of dealing with their separation but DC has exhausted the fanbase's patience with how badly Lois is treated in these stories that any whiff of separation causes a premature meltdowns. I'm happy to have them happy and together for the long foreseeable future after the long drought. I don't care if it means missing out on future critically acclaimed writing and art that dips in the fridging pool or some other equivalent of showing an emotionally wrought Superman because Lois is out of his life.

    I already know he'll be distraught if he loses her, that doesn't mean I want to see it for the umpteenth time.
    When i was thinking about separation i wasn't thinking of it in the traditional sense. Rather in the romantic sense. Its a different kind of bliss isn't it? Tugging the heart's strings. But your plan was to reunite them in the first place.

    Its a shame that we can't bring such varities to romance, because of reasons you mentioned. There has been a lot of abuse. Romeo and Juliet and Casablaca are terrible examples to make my point. Which is that there is variety. I am uneasy with what Bendis is doing too. At the moment though i am cautiously optimistic.

    But i love that DC One Million story. I enjoyed it as a fun Justice League adventure to that point. But then comes the issue of Platina narrating Superman's history upto that point. Its a grand story of adventure and sacrifice. When others comment that the story is beautiful, she says indeed it is. Because it was a love story. That overarching Superman history was a love story.

    And they ended DC One Million with Superman and Lois Lane reunited. Its not as beloved as something like All Star. But i love it.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-11-2019 at 09:21 AM.

  11. #1526
    Astonishing Member Soubhagya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    3,277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Yeah, at this point fridging any character is just such a lazy story idea. With Lois, given how often it's the go to way to show some drama for Superman, it's beyond lazy and it's more or less telling me you're story ideas are limited ro teenage edgelord stuff. If you can't figure out how to write tension or drama in a relationship between two characters without killing one of them, I'm unlikely to give your work a second look. I mean, it's been done, badly mainly, and damages Superman's character in the process.

    At least with someone like Tom Taylor, he was pretty vocal about his distaste for what he was required to do in Injustice, took care that it wasn't presented in the comic in a gross or sensationalized way, and he's since shown he cares about the character and can write a kick ass Lois & Clark.

    A little off topic, the Lego Movie 2 actually goes right at this type of storytelling, calls out the juvenile idea that things have to be "dark, grim and edgy" to be "mature." That mentality has poisoned comics for so long and is probably the biggest reason for their decline.
    Where has he written Lois and Clark other then Injustice? Initially i liked the comics. Among that garbage sadly there's a gem of a Superman issue. It has good writing. I would concede that. But once it appeared to be beyond what i could tolerate, i gave it up. That was the issue Kyle Rayner is gruesomely murdered. How much i detest that issue?

  12. #1527
    Mighty Member Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,081

    Default

    I don't consider One Million and All Star to be fridging in the sense that something like Injustice or even Ending Battle. Because for one, Superman dies first in All Star and two, the death of Lois isn't really used as motivation in the One Million story, it's just something that happened in the distant past. It's a nice bookend to All Star, but it's not the same type of thing. Even Ending Battle isn't really like that because it goes against the trope (both because Lois is ok in it, and Superman deals with the perception of her death in an in character way).

    I also have no problem with stories where they are circling each other or kept apart by certain things in the romantic sense. It's also a bit played out, Superheroes saying they have to be alone to do their job or it's 'to dangerous" for them to be with anyone is as tropey as anything else, but it can be well done and can do both characters justice. So I don't typically have a big aversion to that. It's really just the mistreatment or killing of Lois to hurt Superman that bugs me. I mean Gail Simone kicks the crap out of the women characters she writes, but it never descends into fridging or exploitation.

    Bendis, well we're going to have to wait and see. Being as generous as possible he's writing a Lois & Clark that are deeply in love. Whatever else is going on I'm waiting an seeing. But at the very least they'll still be together in some fashion after he's done with them. In the greater sense, that's better than a lot of alternatives.

  13. #1528
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    2,405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    When i was thinking about separation i wasn't thinking of it in the traditional sense. Rather in the romantic sense. Its a different kind of bliss isn't it? Tugging the hearts. But your plan was to reunite them in the first place.

    Its a shame that we can't bring such varities to romance, because of reasons you mentioned. There has been a lot of abuse. Romeo and Juliet and Casablaca are terrible examples to make my point. Which is that there is variety. I am uneasy with what Bendis is doing too. At the moment though i am cautiously optimistic.

    But i love that DC One Million story. I enjoyed it as a fun Justice League adventure to that point. But then comes the issue of Platina narrating Superman's history upto that point. Its a grand story of adventure and sacrifice. When others comment that the story is beautiful, she says indeed it is. Because it was a love story. That overarching Superman history was a love story.

    And they ended DC One Million with Superman and Lois Lane reunited. Its not as beloved as something like All Star. But i love it.
    I think we want the same thing. I love stories, especially when they involve my favourite characters and are well written. I like them happy and I like them sad. I like them funny and I like them thrilling. I just don't trust DC anymore than I am willing at the moment. I'm also intrigued by Bendis and have a more positive outlook because I'm choosing to trust what he says in his interviews but he works for DC so things may change down the line depending on how the wind blows.

    I have been trying to find a collected Superman DC One Million on Comixology but no luck. Is it collected? I don't want to read all this other stuff with the League just Superman. I already have All star. I think it was the first comic I ever bought of Superman.

  14. #1529
    Mighty Member Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Where has he written Lois and Clark other then Injustice? Initially i liked the comics. Among that garbage sadly there's a gem of a Superman issue. It has good writing. I would concede that. But once it appeared to be beyond what i could tolerate, i gave it up. That was the issue Kyle Rayner is gruesomely murdered. How much i detest that issue?
    I didn't read Injustice either, but the Injustice Annual 2 that came out in October or November was a flashback issue. It was really great story with Lois & Clark working to help Batman. I like Tom Taylor's writing a lot and he has been pretty vocal about wanting a chance to write the real Superman. He's also been really vocal about loving Lois Lane as a character and wanting a chance to write her for real as well.

  15. #1530
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    11,636

    Default


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •