View Poll Results: Would you like it, if Superman returns to his original costume for a time?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 34.38%
  • No

14 43.75%
  • Don't care/on the fence

7 21.88%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Default Would anyone like to see superman in his original/first costume again?

Since, we are back to the trunks and cufflinks costume by removing the reborn suit(much to my dislike). Would you like it, if superman is to wear his original look with his original s symbol again,for a run or two? . The original costume felt like it wasn't made by a professional designer to look good and appealing in front of people(even though, it was). It felt down to earth in a way. It was awesome and gave of the vigilante strongman vibes in spade.(This isn't me making fun or being sarcastic. I love the original costume. It felt like something that wasn't created by having a round table conference)

Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-16-2019 at 12:46 AM.

Bonus round, fight

Yeah, absolutely. Some of my favorite Superman stories ever go back to Golden Age looks, even if not quite to that particular one. The issues of the Dominus arc where he's in the '30s fighting Nazis and trying to help Jews in the Holocaust is maybe my favorite Superman arc ever, and Superman Smashes the Klan is similarly shaping up to be a modern classic. And there's a hell of a lot of space to work with, and a lot of cool exploits to be done with that kind of Superman, no doubt.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

So are you saying you don't like the classic suit(since you said you dislike that they ditched the Reborn suit to revert to it), but you do like the golden age look/s? To be honest, I've never understood the hoopla over golden age stuff. I think the classic suit is an improvement over the constantly work-in-progress golden age designs where the symbol would change from one issue to the next and the cape symbol would change colors. But I'd also argue the golden age suits aren't necessarily more homemade looking than the classic suit outside of the fact that the earliest illustrations could be a bit less polished than what came later. It seemed like it was more modern illustrations of the golden age look that gave the suit a homemade vibe. Besides, the classic suit can be made to look homemade too. It's not as if the classic symbol or the V boots are so complex that they couldn't have been home made creations themselves.

I even think the social crusader aspect is a bit overstated since it wasn't like he was always out fighting racism and other prejudices and the stories could sometimes be pretty uninspired with uninteresting subject matters that were probably only relatable to people who were around in the 30s and 40s. Now I'm not saying I would mind if they did go to the golden age look on a temporary basis, I just think there's no reason to turn Superman back into his early golden age self, although making Superman more of a social crusader isn't a bad idea as long as the things he deals with are more relevant than slot machines in a convenience store.
    Last edited by Last Son; 12-16-2019 at 11:41 AM.

No, I'd not prefer the switchback. While undoubtedly part of my reason for thinking the newer-style emblem more attractive is because I'm used to it, I also think newer style emblem is a much better business move. It's the symbol that's part of American consciousness. It's the symbol all the spin-off used. It's much, much more marketable.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son View Post
    So are you saying you don't like the classic suit(since you said you dislike that they ditched the Reborn suit to revert to it), but you do like the golden age look/s? To be honest, I've never understood the hoopla over golden age stuff. I think the classic suit is an improvement over the constantly work-in-progress golden age designs where the symbol would change from one issue to the next and the cape symbol would change colors. I even think the social crusader aspect is a bit overstated since it wasn't like he was always out fighting racism and other prejudices and the stories could sometimes be pretty uninspired with uninteresting subject matters that were probably only relatable to people who were around in the 30s and 40s.

Now I'm not saying I would mind if they did go to the golden age look on a temporary basis, I just think there's no reason to turn Superman back into his early golden age self, although making Superman more of a social crusader isn't a bad idea as long as the things he deals with are more relevant than slot machines in a convenience store.
    No, i am just saying. It feels i guess - i don't particularly have a word for it. You see my first hero was the phantom. I loved tintin as a kid. So i get the tone of those characters when i read goldenage superman, you know. I don't get that vibe when i read classic superman.classic superman is just another superhero.dime a dozen.
    you are wrong superman didn't fight prejudice. Aside from the war effort rhetoric against the Japanese. Superman has confronted prejudices more than maybe any other character of the era.
    I was never talking about permanent change. Just for a run or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    No, I'd not prefer the switchback. While undoubtedly part of my reason for thinking the newer-style emblem more attractive is because I'm used to it, I also think newer style emblem is a much better business move. It's the symbol that's part of American consciousness. It's the symbol all the spin-off used. It's much, much more marketable.
    It is iconic . But, that hasn't helped the decline in superman, if we are talking business. Just simplify the character itself. No more trying force some great meaning. No more "symbol of hope". Just a dude in a strongman like costume.

There's something akin to a statute of limitations for switching iconography. With respect to the logo, the 1938 one is just not relevant anymore. It may be the original and deserve a little bit of appreciation from fans, but I have no real need to see it come back on a permanent, universal basis.

I just meant that in a lot of golden age stories, I guess I felt like they didn't live up to all the talk of Superman being a social crusader. So while I'm sure there were stories of Superman dealing with real social problems, I guess maybe there was a lot of trivial subject matter too. Looking through them, I guess I felt sometimes like Superman was dealing with things that were kind of beneath his skill set. Now I know fighting supervillains and big battles and catastrophes have become cliche in comics over the years, but I think those earlier stories could have used more of that. Like why not have more characters like the golden age Metalo(who didn't appear again until the bronze age) instead of 100s of gangsters and unscrupulous mine owners?

Honestly they should’ve used the original logo for his T-shirt and jean look, that would’ve been the best place to use it. I like the Golden Age shield but I feel no compulsion to mess with Superman’s current look unless we’re going back to the Reborn outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son View Post
    I just meant that in a lot of golden age stories, I guess I felt like they didn't live up to all the talk of Superman being a social crusader. So while I'm sure there were stories of Superman dealing with real social problems, I guess maybe there was a lot of trivial subject matter too. Looking through them, I guess I felt sometimes like Superman was dealing with things that were kind of beneath his skill set. Now I know fighting supervillains and big battles and catastrophes have become cliche in comics over the years, but I think those earlier stories could have used more of that. Like why not have more characters like the golden age Metalo(who didn't appear again until the bronze age) instead of 100s of gangsters and unscrupulous mine owners?
    Prejudices and racism is a societal problem. Superman can only do so much. It is at the end of the day just entertainment. He dealt with everything in a zoro-esque swashbuckling whimsical on the run fashion. If we wanted to ponder on things it was up to us. There were a lot of grey areas. It might because i am viewing it from the present lense. But, i don't think a vigilante strongman was meant to be this great Paragon everyone thinks of him now as, in any era. So maybe it's isn't just my present day morality. Superman is a complex character. But, the writing is such that we feel he is a very simple character.
    As for superpowered villains, who said superman can't fight those. He fought giant robots, rocketcars and the freaking godzilla. I just feel goldenage guy has some great potential. Especially, since my hero academia became a hit. Come on, it not only has superman but also tintin.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-16-2019 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    There's something akin to a statute of limitations for switching iconography. With respect to the logo, the 1938 one is just not relevant anymore. It may be the original and deserve a little bit of appreciation from fans, but I have no real need to see it come back on a permanent, universal basis.
    I said it before, i have no intention of that. I know the costume is relic. But, it's a beautiful relic. I especially love the boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Honestly they should’ve used the original logo for his T-shirt and jean look, that would’ve been the best place to use it. I like the Golden Age shield but I feel no compulsion to mess with Superman’s current look unless we’re going back to the Reborn outfit.
    That would have been cool. They can still do that. I mean, he is still running around.Current look just isn't good for me, unless the cufflinks are drawn like in the tom king book. There it feels like folded sleeves to get to work done, to put some elbow grease .in Tomasi's run adult jon did that as well,in his dream.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-16-2019 at 12:49 PM.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

I'd love it if they actually made the original uniform his actual first suit in continuity

Quote Originally Posted by magha_regulus View Post
    I'd love it if they actually made the original uniform his actual first suit in continuity
    I'm pretty disillusioned with the idea of continuity or canon in general by now, but, I've had this idea floating around in my head that Superman, at least since Superman Reborn, should be able to remember his entire publication history through, I don't know, "Hypertime Memory," does that sound super-powery enough? Haha! And so if that was the case, then he should absolutely remember the Action # 1 suit as his first costume, and it'd give any writer license to flashback to his early days - and give Lois a pillbox hat and Clark a fedora while they're at it!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."