Page 119 of 243 FirstFirst ... 1969109115116117118119120121122123129169219 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,785 of 3638

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Lois Lane series coming in June by Greg Rucka and Mike Perkins spinning out of the Leviathan Rising Special!

Attachment 78660
    Thanks for sharing! Right now, I'm cautiously optimistic about the Lois Lane comic book. I trust the writer, but then I remember the Lois lane oneshot during the N52, and the Superwoman series and I get a bit nervous and concerned by how it's going to affect them and what would this mean for the Super Family and the clois relationship in general.
    "My heart is tied to the fate of yours. The only test of strength that will ever truly challenge me, is to be vulnerable next to you. To trust...you." - For Lois (Shane Koyczan)

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    I'm so excited over this. A Lois centric book is exactly what she needs. I don't think she'll disappear completely from the Super books only that she'll have a better POV with a writer that not only gets her but can in fact write her. I do think Bendis has a grasp of her who she is, he's just struggling to bring that out which is a shame considering how nigh perfect his Clark/Superman is. I have hope he'll improve when he's no longer under so much pressure.
    Bendis is improving, but he definitely continues to struggle a bit with her voice. Rucka is like my Platonic Ideal of a Lois Lane writer.

There is no reason her book needs to be limited to the Superman corner of Metropolis. You can send her into every corner of the DCU and work stories, literally. In that story alone her investigation pulls in Batman, Wonder Woman, and Checkmate. I hope we get more stories like that where she's investigating stories across the DCU. And there's no reason that that would require a separation either.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Also, a big choice "forever changes" Clark's relationship to his family over in Superman.

Thanks for sharing, Miles To Go.
    "My heart is tied to the fate of yours. The only test of strength that will ever truly challenge me, is to be vulnerable next to you. To trust...you." - For Lois (Shane Koyczan)

This is one of the best choices we could get for a Lois book.

Greg Rucka on Lois' importance to Superman:

You’ve written extensively about your regard for the character - just what is it about her you like? What are her strengths?

Oh, geez, Sue! What don’t I like about Lois? I mean… look, if you view Superman as aspirational, as the stories and adventures of a man who wants us to be ourselves at our best, then Lois is quintessentially that. She is absolutely the focus of that aspiration - brilliant, beautiful, courageous, kind, an advocate for truth and for justice, but amidst all that, always entirely human, possessed of all our foibles and insecurities and flaws. I love her fearlessness and her smarts, her morality and her ethics. I love that she’s a professional, who is legitimately good at her job, if not one of the best (even if we so-often don’t get to see that in the comics). I love that she does not surrender, and she does not back down. There’s so much there. She’s gone beyond quantification for me.

Greg, what role does Lois play in the Superman mythos and what’s her importance?

As I said above, if we view Superman as aspirational, than she is, in her own way, our ideal. Not an ideal woman, but an ideal human - one whose character is such that her actions demonstrate what we can be at our best, despite all of our worst.
    From a dramatic point, she gives us eyes not just on Superman from the ground, but she provides a crucial outside view. So many heroes stick only in their own POV, and we lose their magnificence when that’s the only lens. Aside from her role as a dramatic engine, as a character who creates and propels story, she allows us to see Superman in much the same way that, I think, Superman sees her.

What role does Lois play in comics/pop culture as a whole?

Much harder for me to answer, honestly. I think a Superman comic without Lois Lane is a Superman comic that is missing a leg and is doomed to topple. In the larger culture, I’m honestly not certain. It’s not something I’ve given tremendous thought to, and I fear that, more and more, she’s being side-lined. Yet Lois is so clearly a character with which people identify, they can imagine themselves in her shoes, in her place. And in many ways, Lois Lane, I think, is seen as “super” but without the powers.
    That said, I think, in the main, the pop culture view of her is terribly confused, filled with mixed messages about who this woman is, to such an extent that there are many who believe her presence in a Superman story is optional.
    http://dcwomenkickingass.tumblr.com/...ith-greg-rucka
    And thans for sharing, Yoda!

Astonishing Member

Bendis is improving, but he definitely continues to struggle a bit with her voice. Rucka is like my Platonic Ideal of a Lois Lane writer.

There is no reason her book needs to be limited to the Superman corner of Metropolis. You can send her into every corner of the DCU and work stories, literally. In that story alone her investigation pulls in Batman, Wonder Woman, and Checkmate. I hope we get more stories like that where she's investigating stories across the DCU. And there's no reason that that would require a separation either.
    I agree on Bendis, just hope he continues on that trajectory.

What do you mean by "platonic"?

Someone commented on BC that it's an on going which makes me even happier. And you're absolutely right about her drawing her stories right across the DCU and I hope Rucka exploits this to the fullest.

I'm surprising myself at how eager I am for this considering I used to be lukewarm when it came to Lois as an individual. I loved Clois but Lois.... Here I am thinking the only thing I had to look forward to was her 75th special I ordered from my local comic book shop. 2019 is shaping up to be a great year for me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TomariS View Post
    Thanks for sharing! Right now, I'm cautiously optimistic about the Lois Lane comic book. I trust the writer, but then I remember the Lois lane oneshot during the N52, and the Superwoman series and I get a bit nervous and concerned by how it's going to affect them and what would this mean for the Super Family and the clois relationship in general.
    After a bit of consideration (and I do apologise if I tend to flip flop on this issue a lot, as some days I'm confident in the current status quo, and other days I'm not), I definitely think this will be a strong showing for the modern marriage Bendis is going for. Another writer, one of the best for Lois and Clark's and Lois in general, is taking a crack at it. Rucka will provide Lois and her perspectives on journalism, Clark, etc, with consistent exposure while Bendis has free reign to only utilise Lois and Clark whenever he deems it fit for the story.

Astonishing Member

This is one of the best choices we could get for a Lois book.

Greg Rucka on Lois' importance to Superman:

http://dcwomenkickingass.tumblr.com/...ith-greg-rucka
    There's a beautiful quote by Kurt Busiek further down where he says
    [Clark]...is all heart, masking a keen brain, [Lois]...is all brain, masking a warm heart.
    It brought a tear to my eyes just how accurate this is.

I agree on Bendis, just hope he continues on that trajectory.

What do you mean by "platonic"?

Someone commented on BC that it's an on going which makes me even happier. And you're absolutely right about her drawing her stories right across the DCU and I hope Rucka exploits this to the fullest.

I'm surprising myself at how eager I am for this considering I used to be lukewarm when it came to Lois as an individual. I loved Clois but Lois.... Here I am thinking the only thing I had to look forward to was her 75th special I ordered from my local comic book shop. 2019 is shaping up to be a great year for me.
    A "Platonic Ideal" -
    Platonic ideals, in Plato's philosophy, are the first and perfect templates of everything we encounter in the physical world. They reside in what Plato called the Hyperuranion, literally a 'place above the sky', where everything exists in a state of perfect essence.
    Doesn't mean "just friends" in that context. But I just meant he's who I would pick as my ideal writer for Lois Lane. With a healthy dose of hyperbole given my giddiness over this news.

I am so excited for this, and it amounts to a tease of a June solicit. Growing up reading the triangle era of Superman, Lois was always way more than a supporting character to me. She's been my second favorite character in comics. And just the amount of potential she has as a character is insane and so rarely realized.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomariS View Post
    Yeah I get that but then it was N52 and they had vastly contrary ideas when it came to Lois as a whole. In hindsight, I honestly don't think anything good could have come out of that. I feel like N52 went out of its way to sabotage the character. Things are different now and I believe things are looking up for the character. Yes it's been a little rocky of late but I think the character is in a better standing compared to N52 Lois. DC isn't out to "get her" so to speak.

As for the Superwoman book, that lois fell prey to DC trying to erase all traces of N52. If they weren't going to have two supermen flying around, there was just as many chances of two Loises running around. It's shameful that they used her to try and propel the book when really they wanted to tell Lana's story. This new book will at least be about her and not a stand in and I am excited.
    Last edited by rpmaluki; 02-18-2019 at 10:03 AM.

Astonishing Member

A "Platonic Ideal" -

Doesn't mean "just friends" in that context. But I just meant he's who I would pick as my ideal writer for Lois Lane. With a healthy dose of hyperbole given my giddiness over this news.

I am so excited for this, and it amounts to a tease of a June solicit. Growing up reading the triangle era of Superman, Lois was always way more than a supporting character to me. She's been my second favorite character in comics. And just the amount of potential she has as a character is insane and so rarely realized.
    Alright, now I get it. I like how Rucka mentions her mistreatment over the years where she was "optional" and it's like he read my mind. In no universe in existence is Lois Lane optional to a Superman story. And so far, I hear great things about Rucka and his ability to write women so this just makes they whole thing even sweeter.

Astonishing Member

After a bit of consideration (and I do apologise if I tend to flip flop on this issue a lot, as some days I'm confident in the current status quo, and other days I'm not), I definitely think this will be a strong showing for the modern marriage Bendis is going for. Another writer, one of the best for Lois and Clark's and Lois in general, is taking a crack at it. Rucka will provide Lois and her perspectives on journalism, Clark, etc, with consistent exposure while Bendis has free reign to only utilise Lois and Clark whenever he deems it fit for the story.
    My rule of thumb is to always wait until I can see something in technicolour before I properly freak out, or else risk making myself heart sick for months straight and I refuse to do that over comics. I love these characters and I would feel bad if they were treated horribly but why make myself miserable over something that may not even happen? If it's happened, that's one thing but speculation isn't proof of anything so I simply take a breather and play the waiting game until I have more information.

Yeah I get that but then it was N52 and they had vastly contrary ideas when it came to Lois as a whole. In hindsight, I honestly don't think anything good could have come out of that. I feel like N52 went out of its way to sabotage the character. Things are different now and I believe things are looking up for the character. Yes it's been a little rocky of late but I think the character is in a better standing compared to N52 Lois. DC isn't out to "get her" so to speak.

As for the Superwoman book, that lois fell prey to DC trying to erase all traces of N52. If they weren't going to have two supermen flying around, there was just as many chances of two Loises running around. It's shameful that they used her to try and propel the book when really they wanted to tell Lana's story. This new book will at least be about her and not a stand in and I am excited.
    I don't think DC wanted to tell Lana's story. I think that Jimenez wanted it. It was he who said several times what to make Lana the central character of the comic was his idea. Judging by the actions of DC, they themselves were not thrilled that Lois was killed in the first issue. And they did invalidated was what Jimenez wrote. So in a situation with Superwoman blame Jimenez, but not DC.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by _Beautiful_Temptress_ View Post
    I don't think DC wanted to tell Lana's story. I think that Jimenez wanted it. It was he who said several times what to make Lana the central character of the comic was his idea. Judging by the actions of DC, they themselves were not thrilled that Lois was killed in the first issue. And they did invalidated was what Jimenez wrote. So in a situation with Superwoman blame Jimenez, but not DC.
    I stand corrected.

BANNED

More kisses!