Page 14 of 243 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Are we supposed to praise King for prompting negative feelings from fandom towards the likes of Lois and Selina?
    It's not about praise for me. If he's depicting the characters correctly and still some fans complain, it's not really his fault they aren't happy. Bat-god is a thing not just with the writing but fan perception that doesn't want to have him have the wool pulled over his eyes...ever. And Superman and Lois working together and having their relationship respected (maritally and professionally) wasn't going to be universally received, people who don't like them together in any capacity were going to complain regardless. HiC#4 is even trickier because of the subject matter. King for me is a so-so writer, much like most writers. He has his best days and his off days. I feel HiC is going to have more off days than not. I don't care for the book at all, and am only here for L&C. If he messes them up, then I'm out.

Edit: If someone wants to hate a character they will, no matter the writing, good will and intentions from the writer. I'd much rather someone be written in character as opposed to out of. Lois is typically abrasive to some readers and has been for decades. I'm not expecting people to fall at her feet. I'd rather she be written as Lois Lane than a watered down version so she can be likable to those that refuse to understand her, her principles and drive, when written accurately. I don't know much about comic Selina to comment on her because I don't read Batman.
    Last edited by rpmaluki; 01-06-2019 at 08:04 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Akane View Post
    Yes, we need a new show about Superman, maybe it can happen when Supergirl comes to an end. And if we're lucky and we get a show about Superman I hope it's not done by The CW.
    Sign me up for a Superman series with Lois right beside him and not done by CW!

Happy (late) New Year, guys!

By @SuperYizFields:

"Keep flying; keep fighting; keep loving; keep smiling. You won’t always be right, but you don’t have to be. Be just. Be fair. Be good. Be brave. Be Superman." - Bryan Q. Miller.

"Keep flying; keep fighting; keep loving; keep smiling. You won’t always be right, but you don’t have to be. Be just. Be fair. Be good. Be brave. Be Superman." - Bryan Q. Miller.

Supermobile ad:

By

By The Film Language of Takahan:

By thegeekool:

“I'll be right back, Lo. The city needs me”

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    It's not about praise for me. If he's depicting the characters correctly and still some fans complain, it's not really his fault they aren't happy. Bat-god is a thing not just with the writing but fan perception that doesn't want to have him have the wool pulled over his eyes...ever. And Superman and Lois working together and having their relationship respected (maritally and professionally) wasn't going to be universally received, people who don't like them together in any capacity were going to complain regardless. HiC#4 is even trickier because of the subject matter. King for me is a so-so writer, much like most writers. He has his best days and his off days. I feel HiC is going to have more off days than not. I don't care for the book at all, and am only here for L&C. If he messes them up, then I'm out.

Edit: If someone wants to hate a character they will, no matter the writing, good will and intentions from the writer. I'd much rather someone be written in character as opposed to out of. Lois is typically abrasive to some readers and has been for decades. I'm not expecting people to fall at her feet. I'd rather she be written as Lois Lane than a watered down version so she can be likable to those that refuse to understand her, her principles and drive, when written accurately. I don't know much about comic Selina to comment on her because I don't read Batman.
    I agree. A week ago probably I wouldn't have, but honestly your's and a few others posts in the Bendis thread kinda walked me back from the edge on this. More than anything I want great Lois & Clark stories and great Lois stories. Most of the negative reaction I've seen is the kind you'd see from any story featuring Lois and honestly it's not that widely expressed as I'd expect. Moreover, it's just wrong because a lot attack the relationship and miss the professional implications completely which is really where the whole thing rests. The marriage should almost be a nonfactor in this scenario. Honestly I've seen as many negative comments on Clark still being a journalist or even having a secret identity in reaction to this.

Journalists in general are going to get polarizing reactions from people for a lot of reasons unconnected to the character. Women journalists doubly so. As long as Lois is being portrayed as Lois, fighting for what she believes in and being the badass she should be, she's going to get a lot of negative reaction from the same corners of fandom.

Is there negative reaction to Selina? From what I have seen most seems to be directed at Didio for the perception that he forced King to break off the marriage there. Honestly, any ire should be directed at DC's marketing for the garbage way they promoted it and for building it up with 50 variants for a non-event. Separated from the marketing it's a good issue and the Catwoman book has been pretty good overall Joelle Jones is great, I'd love to see her write Lois in that book, her and Selina were pretty great together in the Superfriends arc.

By michael_ibarra:

By isrrael_rosa:

By kidgrvt:

By bloodysart:

Roleswap with Lois Lane as Superlady and Clark Kent as that one dude from Smallville, featuring a flying Superlady because she likes feeling tall.

Lois is called Superlady because Clark called her ‘a real super lady’ when he saw her save the plane.

By panoramicambitions:

Justice League 3000:

By Jasontodd1fan.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    any ire should be directed at DC's marketing for the garbage way they promoted it and for building it up with 50 variants for a non-event. Separated from the marketing it's a good issue and the Catwoman book has been pretty good overall Joelle Jones is great, I'd love to see her write Lois in that book, her and Selina were pretty great together in the Superfriends arc.
    We'll have to disagree there. Selina was out-of-character in Batman#50, and even if you could argue she wasn't, she was far too gullible to fall for what Holly was telling her. And her current ongoing I have no interest in, I feel Selina's long outgrown a lot of what she is in that book

But that's us getting off topic.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I agree. A week ago probably I wouldn't have, but honestly your's and a few others posts in the Bendis thread kinda walked me back from the edge on this. More than anything I want great Lois & Clark stories and great Lois stories. Most of the negative reaction I've seen is the kind you'd see from any story featuring Lois and honestly it's not that widely expressed as I'd expect. Moreover, it's just wrong because a lot attack the relationship and miss the professional implications completely which is really where the whole thing rests. The marriage should almost be a nonfactor in this scenario. Honestly I've seen as many negative comments on Clark still being a journalist or even having a secret identity in reaction to this.

Journalists in general are going to get polarizing reactions from people for a lot of reasons unconnected to the character. Women journalists doubly so. As long as Lois is being portrayed as Lois, fighting for what she believes in and being the badass she should be, she's going to get a lot of negative reaction from the same corners of fandom.

Is there negative reaction to Selina? From what I have seen most seems to be directed at Didio for the perception that he forced King to break off the marriage there. Honestly, any ire should be directed at DC's marketing for the garbage way they promoted it and for building it up with 50 variants for a non-event. Separated from the marketing it's a good issue and the Catwoman book has been pretty good overall Joelle Jones is great, I'd love to see her write Lois in that book, her and Selina were pretty great together in the Superfriends arc.
    This is why I am satisfied somewhat with Bendis, mainly for consciously bringing Clark Kent the reporter back in the forefront, earning him more leeway than I would have for his stalling on the Lois front but that's about to change and I can't wait to read it. He's not the same writer he was at his prime but I have been more surprised than disappointed thus far. I'm hoping the writing only gets better from this point forward because his vision leans more on what I want to see from Superman books with the exception of grown up Jon but that's a topic for another day/thread.

The thing with Superman is that he lives very two distinct lives. For years they've focused on the heroics to the detriment of his other day job so now you have people questing if he even needs the secret identity. Getting rid of the the reporter side of Clark automatically does away with the DP supporting cast and had he not married Lois, she'd be gone too. N52 nearly succeed on this and tried to save face by upping Jimmy's profile but it didn't work. You can't have Superman without Clark Kent, just as they've never tried to have Clark without Superman. It just doesn't work.

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar