Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

In case some of you need a bigger picture for mobile desktop

This will be my favorite DCEU Superman video of all time probably forever

Love watching these MoS interviews

Finally arrived this today. I was dreaming about this book for a very long time

BANNED

What does the success of Aquaman mean for the DC Universe?

We all feel like we've turned a corner now. We're playing by the DC playbook, which is very different than the Marvel playbook. We are far less focused on a shared universe. We take it one movie at a time. Each movie is its own equation and own creative entity. If you had to say one thing about us, it's that it always has to be about the directors.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...h-year-1176027

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I'm more than ok with this approach as long as we get another stand alone Superman film the next few years.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Make of it what you will, but this guy is claiming Henry Cavill is signed on for four more appearances as Superman. Including a Superman appearance in the Supergirl movie.

The ending of Glass kinda validates Pa Kent's caution. I can see someone like Vandal Savage starting such a group.

"It's always has to be about the directors".

Where was this mentality during Justice League?

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    "It's always has to be about the directors".

Where was this mentality during Justice League?
    Even in that case they let Joss Whedon make the movie he wanted to after Zack Snyder had to leave the project. Otherwise they wouln't have let Whedon make such massive reshoots.
    They would have just let him piece together what Zack Snyder left him. Actually a better case can be made of what they did to David Ayer's Suicide Squad.

Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

I'm sorry Henry, Zack and Ben. this is just too good.

Pull-List:

DC: Batman: Damned, The Green Lantern. Young Justice. Wonder Twins

Boom!: Ronin Samurai.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Zachary Levi Talks Almost Passing On ‘Shazam!’ & Henry Cavill Being Superman: https://heroichollywood.com/zachary-...vill-superman/

Reporter: Tell that to Henry Cavill.

Zachary Levi: Well, but he’s still Superman. He’s still Superman. Just because they haven’t gotten around to making another standalone Superman movie, doesn’t mean he’s still not Superman and doesn’t mean he’s still not killing it as Superman. Doesn’t mean everybody doesn’t still love him as Superman, right?

Master Hero Vladimir

The Superman movies within the DC Extended Universe are some of my favorite Superman stories ever, not only because they succeed at giving Superman some much needed pathos but because they avoid portraying Superman as a vanilla goody-two-shoes that always has the right answer and solves every problem he comes across with almost no opposition. The DC Extended Universe never takes Superman for granted and never stops asking the hard questions about how a person like Superman would impact a world like ours. Superman doesn't always have the right answer, is often forced to make hard choices, and more often than not, saves the world by the skin of his teeth and because fortune was conspiring in his favor. Upon his arrival, Superman doesn't immediately become accepted by the masses and instead he has to earn the goodwill of the people through commitment and sacrifice for the greater good.

The fights in the movies feel real, devastating and with actual emotional weight. You can even make an argument that the DC Extended Universe portrays Superman not as a superhero, but as a soldier or an action hero. In the comics, Superman has experienced 80 years of character development and is now in a position where he can explore options on how to solve a problem without resorting to violence. The movies offer no such privilege to Superman and the villains often put him in a position where has to fight with all his strength. Those villains cannot be reasoned with and usually have agendas that will hurt millions of people if Superman isn't forced to take action. General Zod is a fanatic who wants to save his people at the expense of mankind, Lex Luthor created a living weapon of mass destruction out of sheer, dehumanizing hatred towards Superman and Steppenwolf wants to take over the world for Darkseid. The movies offer us a good reason, at least in my opinion, on why Superman would often resort to violence to save the world.

My favorite DCEU movie has to be Man of Steel and one of the best reasons for that is the interesting moral conflict between Superman and General Zod. While Superman has the obvious moral advantage of being the hero, Zod proves to be likable antagonist because his motivations are understandable and sympathetic. He wants to save his race but has to make a hard choice to do it, much like Superman wants to save mankind but has to make a hard choice to do it. Despite this clash of ideals, Superman avoids coming off as naive and puritanical in his attempts to stop Zod. Superman understands that Zod doesn't want to share Earth with humanity, even when Jor-El told him that co-existence was possible. That's the catalyst for the main conflict in the movie. There are no high moral ideals that will satisfy Zod's need to save his people, the only way this situation will end is with violence. The movie does not portray Superman as a squeaky-clean hero and it certainly doesn't sanitize Superman's story. By the end of the movie, Superman is forced to end Zod's life, a decision that will likely define him if future movies get made.

Superman is a hard character to adapt, mostly because of his history, which has caused his millions of fans to develop different opinions about him. In my opinion, Superman's greatest enemy and weakness is his legend and the expectations it has put on him and I think he shouldn't try to live up to them because, most of the time, he will fail. I've said this before and I'm sure I'll say it again. Even so, I appreciate the DC Extended Universe for giving me an interesting new way to look at this old character. Henry Cavill is an amazing actor and I hope gets another chance to play Superman again.

I watched Man of Steel again. And i think i have to agree with HeroVladmir here. One can call Superman a victim of its own success. If it would have been a movie which was not Superman it would have been deemed good enough. Its a solid movie on its own. (And 666 million is very solid for a first movie). But for Superman fans the mileage may vary. And since Donner was such a smashing success back in the day it really had an uphill task to connect with everyone.

Till this day i am having some difficulty in accepting such an 'ordinary' Superman. He is Superman but still finding his feet. And who does not have the guiding hand of Kents as we know them. They are loving parents. But not the sort who would make him grow as Superman. The film has steadily grown up with me. It has its moments. The action sequences are some of the best i have seen in a superhero movie. And i end up caring for this Superman a lot. It was great as a launching pad for Superman of this era. I wish they hadn't tried to play catch with Marvel.

Earlier, i thought it had a few plotholes. Why did Zod ask to take Lois? Why was Lois in that plane which was trying to bomb the ship? I found the answers. Its not explained actually. But one can connect the dots. Zod wanted to create a sort of mindspace for Kal to divulge him into revealing the location of Codex. For that he created that farm like scenery. And for making that they used Lois's information which she unwillingly divulged under that mindspace. That's how they discovered what Kal was doing upto this point. His hardships in fitting in, his childhood living in the farm, etc. It makes complete sense.

The second time when Lois was in that bombing plane is not so straightforward. But i take that because she had the information about how to send them to Phantom Zone. She had some experience in dealing with Kryptonians and Kryptonian tech. And i think the film says that she had some sort of military experience. She was the one who pointed out that the key was not going all the way in.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 01-26-2019 at 07:58 AM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Okay, haven't seen this posted yet but Jenkins is already talking about a 3rd WW film and she says it will take place "in the future". Now, whether that means the actual future or the modern day remains to be seen. It could just mean the modern day. Have no idea what this means for Superman or the DCEU in general but between this and the new trailer for that BOP movie coming out, it looks like they are going ahead with the DCEU. The real question is, will they acknowledge BVS and JL gong forward or will they try to sort of "retcon" them out of existence? Jenkins has said she is against another JL movie.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...enkins-1179511
    Assassinate Putin!