Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 386
  1. #46
    Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    1,207

    Default

    Saw this on Tumblr:
    Clark Kent in Man of Steel: *holds back from using his powers against human bullies because he knows he could hurt them very badly*

    Clark Kent in Man of Steel: *wanders the world trying to keep a low profile and helping people whenever he can*

    Clark Kent in Man of Steel: *practically glows when Lois Lane smiles at him*

    Clark Kent in Dawn of Justice: *buys his girlfriend flowers and cooks for her*

    Clark Kent in Dawn of Justice: *does his best to continue helping people in spite of his detractors*

    Clark Kent in Dawn of Justice: *struggles with crippling feelings of guilt and self-doubt*

    Clark Kent in Dawn of Justice: *sacrifices himself to save a world which has rejected him*

    Critics: DC’s nascent cinematic universe has so far depicted Superman as an angry god; a violent, alien entity that needs to be kept in check.

  2. #47

    Default

    genuine emotions people like. Like when the joy he felt when he was learning to fly,concern, reverence and love when he talks to martha, being upset about batman's batbranding crusade, or his resolve and idealism about fighting for truth when talking to perry.
    The problem is these movies focus on his powers too much and too negatively. In a manner that feels moody and bogs the movie's down. Sure, his powers are awesome and dangerous. But, don't just focus on that. Focus on the other side to, of how clark is cool dude and not just his power.

    On top of that, we don't get that much clark interacting with people he saves,or talking to them in a warm manner. Sometimes, it feels like clark gives too importance to beating the bad guy, than saving people. Sure, beating the bad guy ends the fight and it was right to focus on zod. But clark was never shown to mourn for the people that lost their life. Other than a stupid throw away line in bvs where he talks to Jonathan.other than that There is no mention.

    As superman, clark should be a symbol people can look upto.it is his responsibility as superman to do so. It was snyder's responsibility to include such scenes.it is important for people to see Clark be the symbol as Superman. What makes that symbol so great and why is he is this symbol of hope. Since snyder was hammering "symbol of hope" business over our head, again and again. Without actually showing us why. it felt hollow. No, him choosing to finding an alternative to killing bruce is great and all but the thing is it is undercut by the fact that superman got his ass handed to him. There it is not superman's choice that saved the day. it was Bruce’s. And no the clark yelling "save martha" doesn't count.

    No, you might say Clark choosing to fight doomsday makes him great symbol. No, it doesn't. It his moral obligation and duty. No, sane person will let a monsters run wild killing people. When he has the power to fight it. But, he is martyr that is very much a given. The difference is soldiers and people who give their lives in different service sectors are also martyrs. But they are not symbols. To be a symbol u have become more than that.

    Since, this is snyder. Let me make an analogy. There were plenty of guys who got crucified before christ. Some might have even been fighting for the same cause and were good as he was. But Jesus and his crucification became a symbol. Why because he became legend through the stories of how he lived his life and interaction he had with people around him then, who spread it.

    Forgive me, I am not a christian.i do not have an in depth knowledge of christ. So sorry, if have i offended anyone or if i am totally of the mark.

    But the point, is if he wanted to make this story of superman into larger than life epic of a messiah and a symbol. Whose altruism and light touched the world. He did a poor job of it. Bruce and diana's change is not enough for that. And If he was trying to show human behind such a figure. Then he failed at that too. Since, Clark's personal life is still very much undercooked. The only thing we know of clark is good guy burdened by his powers and identity. He loves his mother and feels loss of late father. He is an idealist, who sometimes can't deal with or hates harsh realities of the world.oh yeah! I forgot he loves lois for knowing his secrets and not rejecting him. That is it.

    Edit-Sorry, i forgot this was an appreciation thread not a discussion thread. So my bad. Forget i said anything.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-12-2019 at 09:56 AM.

  3. #48
    Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    1,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    He is an idealist, who sometimes can't deal with or hates harsh realities of the world.
    This is one of many reasons why I love MoS/BvS and why The Oz Effect is my favorite Rebirth arc. It's a rare occasion nowadays in fictional stories where character's idealism is challenged by the world he lives in, it is a rare occasion when everything bad is thrown at idealist at once to the point where his idealism starts cracking and I find it interesting to see if the character will be able to put his idealism back or he will allow it to crumble entirely. It is especially interesting to see with a character like Superman, because him of all characters overcoming such trials is aspiring. Superman teaching us that life is not that simple and easy is important in my opinion. If you are gonna show too much how everything is easy for Clark, it might lead to further disappointment with the world you are living in once you close the comic book or finish watching The Animated Series episode or something like that. But when you show Superman of all people having a hard time just like you might do IRL and withstanding, overcoming and prevailing can be inspirational for some people and I think it's unfair when other side of the barricade is trying so hard to take this version of Superman away from them.

  4. #49
    Master Hero Vladimir
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Ciudad del Carmen, Campeche, México
    Posts
    577

    Default

    Superman has the same doubts and insecurities any normal man would have, it's just that he has trouble expressing them because each and every one of his actions are constantly examined and criticized by the people of Earth. The DC Extended Universe deserves credits for showing that doing the right thing is hard, even for Superman. It takes real strength to be gentle, kind, brave and virtuous and the world gives Superman plenty of reasons to give up and lose his way. That's where Lois and Martha come in. Superman needs friends that encourage him and keep him grounded. That's the strength of the relationships he has with the people he cares about. Sure, that character development could have been conveyed much better in another solo movie, but for the most part, the DCEU Superman is one of the best versions of Superman in the modern era.

  5. #50
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    12,260

    Default


  6. #51
    Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    1,207

    Default







    God knows I love the soundtrack in this scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnNwMiOWDM0

  7. #52
    Mighty Member Lokimaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,049

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HeroVladimir93 View Post
    Superman has the same doubts and insecurities any normal man would have, it's just that he has trouble expressing them because each and every one of his actions are constantly examined and criticized by the people of Earth. The DC Extended Universe deserves credits for showing that doing the right thing is hard, even for Superman. It takes real strength to be gentle, kind, brave and virtuous and the world gives Superman plenty of reasons to give up and lose his way. That's where Lois and Martha come in. Superman needs friends that encourage him and keep him grounded. That's the strength of the relationships he has with the people he cares about. Sure, that character development could have been conveyed much better in another solo movie, but for the most part, the DCEU Superman is one of the best versions of Superman in the modern era.

    I think you see a looser Superman at the end of Justice League because just like Barry he needs...friends. Think about how different you are with your friends vs. how you are with your family.

  8. #53
    Master Hero Vladimir
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Ciudad del Carmen, Campeche, México
    Posts
    577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    I think you see a looser Superman at the end of Justice League because just like Barry he needs...friends. Think about how different you are with your friends vs. how you are with your family.
    Of course. That's how emotionally complex and nuanced people are and how emotionally complex and nuance Superman can be. This is why I want another Superman movie so badly, I want the DCEU to continue Superman's character development.

  9. #54
    Mighty Member stargazer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,937

    Default

    Some of you say that some Superman fans are blinded by their nostalgia, and sure maybe some are, but not all of us. We just want a more exciting and inspirational Superman movie in which he isn't constantly sad or angry..

    This Aquaman quote (from a review) really nails it why the Aquaman movie is a lot more successful than the Snyder DC movies:

    "In a sense, Wan brings the same eye that "Batman v Superman" director Zack Snyder possesses in adapting comic-book images to the screen, without drowning his protagonist in angst. The result is a movie that's fairly buoyant, and to use a term that might seem out of place when describing a special-effects-laden blockbuster, generally fun."

    https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/11/enter...iew/index.html

    Aquaman is simply a more exciting time at the cinema for many people, and very family friendly. James Wan really understood this.

  10. #55
    Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    1,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Aquaman is simply a more exciting time at the cinema for many people, and very family friendly. James Wan really understood this.
    Which might also explain why Man of Steel turned out the way it is if you watch this interview from here. In short: Zack Snyder made it for himself and launched it to the world to see if this specific vision and story for this character will find like-minded individuals. He just didn't tried to pander to the public and I honestly prefer it this way. If a director tried to make a movie pandering to all of my expectations and desires there wouldn't be anything to be excited about, because there wouldn't be anything new to witness if I know beforehand that I will get what I want exactly. Man of Steel was an awesome experience exactly because it did not lived up to my expectations at all, but actually exceeded it by a mile. I loved being surprised and shocked by something entirely new and never seen before done with Superman in a good way.

  11. #56
    Mighty Member stargazer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,937

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    Which might also explain why Man of Steel turned out the way it is if you watch this interview from here. In short: Zack Snyder made it for himself and launched it to the world to see if this specific vision and story for this character will find like-minded individuals. He just didn't tried to pander to the public and I honestly prefer it this way. If a director tried to make a movie pandering to all of my expectations and desires there wouldn't be anything to be excited about, because there wouldn't be anything new to witness if I know beforehand that I will get what I want exactly. Man of Steel was an awesome experience exactly because it did not lived up to my expectations at all, but actually exceeded it by a mile. I loved being surprised and shocked by something entirely new and never seen before done with Superman in a good way.
    Good for you, but many fans and casuals didn't find this Superman very likeable or inspirational, and that's sad and the reason why we don't have more Superman movies. I'm sure some changes could have been done with this story and please a lot more people. It seems to me Snyder didn't think about what was good for Superman but just to please himself and his ego. Maybe he thinks his ideas are better than they actually are. I think people love/like Superman, but many simply rejected his vision and execution with his films because it was too bleak and joyless.

  12. #57
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    12,260

    Default

    Mission: Impossible director Christopher McQuarrie reportedly turned down several DC films

    In the aftermath of Fallout, McQuarrie found himself courted by many studio suitors who were opening up their pantries for him. Warner Bros. even tried to seduce him with DC projects, but he decided to take a breather and stay true to his friend and partner, Cruise.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...movies-1176012

  13. #58
    Death becomes you Osiris-Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    6,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    Which might also explain why Man of Steel turned out the way it is if you watch this interview from here. In short: Zack Snyder made it for himself and launched it to the world to see if this specific vision and story for this character will find like-minded individuals. He just didn't tried to pander to the public and I honestly prefer it this way. If a director tried to make a movie pandering to all of my expectations and desires there wouldn't be anything to be excited about, because there wouldn't be anything new to witness if I know beforehand that I will get what I want exactly. Man of Steel was an awesome experience exactly because it did not lived up to my expectations at all, but actually exceeded it by a mile. I loved being surprised and shocked by something entirely new and never seen before done with Superman in a good way.
    Couldn't we have just gotten the Superman we knew fighting some new villain like Brainiac or Darkseid or Metallo. The failure of Superman III and Superman IV was the villains were so lame. Not that people had grown tired of Superman.
    And then when Superman Return-ed, he didn't really do all that much and even worse they just recycled Lex Luthor. I think Man of Steel would have been better received if it had a more familiar Superman with a new villain instead of
    just recycling Zod. Despite its flaws and mustache-gate, a lot of people preferred how Superman behaved in JL to how Superman was in MoS and BvS. I'm surprised WB gave up on Superman just when he was starting to get good again.

  14. #59
    Mighty Member Lokimaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,049

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Couldn't we have just gotten the Superman we knew fighting some new villain like Brainiac or Darkseid or Metallo. The failure of Superman III and Superman IV was the villains were so lame. Not that people had grown tired of Superman.
    And then when Superman Return-ed, he didn't really do all that much and even worse they just recycled Lex Luthor. I think Man of Steel would have been better received if it had a more familiar Superman with a new villain instead of
    just recycling Zod. Despite its flaws and mustache-gate, a lot of people preferred how Superman behaved in JL to how Superman was in MoS and BvS. I'm surprised WB gave up on Superman just when he was starting to get good again.
    But that was an Evolution of his Character. We don't know what Superman is like day to Day but he seemed like a happy guy before shit hit the fan. BvS was a Special case. This is why I call Zack's Movies Graphic Novel Movies instead of Comic book Movies cause you can push the envelope in Graphic Novels more then you can in the floppies. I could actually See Cavill's Superman being the same Superman from Kingdom Come, Justice or Peace on Earth. He's very Alex Ross inspired.

  15. #60
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    But that was an Evolution of his Character. We don't know what Superman is like day to Day but he seemed like a happy guy before shit hit the fan. BvS was a Special case. This is why I call Zack's Movies Graphic Novel Movies instead of Comic book Movies cause you can push the envelope in Graphic Novels more then you can in the floppies. I could actually See Cavill's Superman being the same Superman from Kingdom Come, Justice or Peace on Earth. He's very Alex Ross inspired.

    I agree,good analogy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •