Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default Superman/Clark Kent Appreciation 2019

In order to maintain reasonable length threads, certain threads are re-setting for the new year.

Do NOT re-post from previous threads - those posts are still around and can be read by anyone.

This is for new Appreciation content only.

Please note that this is an Appreciation thread. Anything off-topic and/or not appreciative will be deleted and the poster may be banned for rules violations.
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Happy New Year birs and girs.

Maybe this is odd, just maybe, but as the clock struck 12 and my family is actually sleeping through all the commotion on our block, I'm sitting here sober and digging through the Superman career of Win Mortimer, who was born in 1919 and took over the daily strip in 1949. Here's hoping IDW reaches his run soon.

mortimer_superman.jpgsuperman1952d.jpg

Master Hero Vladimir

Happy New Year, everyone! I hope this is a great year for Superman and his community.

Happy New Year to the Man of Steel in all forms .

Happy new year everyone!

Well, I suppose we should start the appreciation thread off right with a little awesome art.

DC Lois.jpg

DC Superman Golden Age.jpg

DC Superman 4.jpg

None of this is mine. Pulled all off the web, though I have no idea where from.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The first time I saw Superman was... I forgot... maybe it was that black and white TV.

The first time I read Superman was in World's Finest #94. They're already established as recurring partners, but then Superman decided to get another partner, a superhero called Power Man, to replace him.

8ebdb3bbe76560c1787f0f980322c537._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Batman actually got really jealous and stalked them. During his moping, he remembered the first time they worked together. Superman and Batman disguised themselves as each other in order to trick criminals to waste their Kryptonite liquid gun on Batman, while Superman handle the machine gun once they realized the trick.

It turned out Power Man was a robot because he didn't want Batman and Robin to be destroyed by Luthor's laser if they decided to help him. So he introduced him as a reason to keep them away. When that was revealed Batman just said why didn't you just tell us? XD

The first time I was introduced to Superman, like most Gen Xers was the Donner movie. Now, my. Dad was an avid comic collector and he mainly enjoyed the Green Lantern stuff from the 60’s-early 70’s. I remember my first true toe dip was when I was ten and Action Comics #600 was in the spinner rack at my local grocery store, from that point on, Dad helped me find the back issues going back to Man of Steel and we took off (before then, my main comic interests were Hama’s amazing G.I.Joe run and Transformers).

I was there for the pocket universe, Exile, Dark Knight in Metropolis, Kase of The Krimson Kryptonite, Time and Time Again. I watched the Ruby Spears cartoon on Saturday Mornings, I was the biggest Superman Nerd of all. I wept during Doomsday. I cheered when Clark in the Black suit kissed Lois after saying To Kill a Mockingbird was his favorite. I enjoyed the Clark is who I am and Superman is my job, because it made me feel like Anyone could be Superman. I was the guy in high school that was a dork, but still Captain of the Football team. Superman was awesome, but I wanted to be Clark Kent. The everyday guy that just wants to help.

I saw Clark and Lois break up, then get married. Electro super, 2K, President Luthor. I never missed an episode of Smallville.

Given, New 52 put a hiatus on my then 23 year love affair with the never ending battle, and that sucked, but since Rebirth, my love has returned. I just hope it keeps getting better.

Long live the Man of Steel!

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

A Doctor's Point of View - Superman and Doomsday:

Kingdom Come Superman commission by Jack Herbert

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsOB48Unavz/
    WIP images: https://twitter.com/j4ckherbert/stat...575685632?s=21

Man, the Kingdom Come suit just might be my favorite variation on the classic costume ever. The "S" is a great, simple design and I really like the touches of black. And the gray hair helps a lot too.

I take issue here and there with how Waid handled Clark in that story but I very much adore the design from Ross.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Superman is my second favorite superhero (after Batman). Sups, more than any other character IMO, represents hope and doing the right thing. I'll always be a fan.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

My next Superman experience was the Donner movie.
    Besides the scenes I already posted in the other forums I don't remember much about the movie.
    I like the beginning, with baby Clark lifting the Kents car, and the growing up montage starting with him running in the cornfield until his first flight...
    I like the Lois interview and flight, and the memorable climax starting from he was given Kryptonite to Lois death and the time travel that ruined that climax, lol
    I remember when Lois was trapped in a machine, and when Superman was talking to the hologram of Jor-El in the Fortress of Solitude...
    ...but I don't remember anything else. Complete blank. I don't remember what Superman do the whole movie beside those points.

Master Hero Vladimir

Superman is my favorite superhero and I always look forward to more Superman stories, but the biggest problem I can see with Superman in the modern era is that outside the comic books, he almost never carries an entire story on his own. He always has to share the spotlight with another hero (Batman v. Superman) or an ensemble cast (Justice League). It would appear that Warner and DC no longer think Superman can be interesting on his own or that he can be the sole protagonist of a story. Batman can do it, Wonder Woman can do it, even Aquaman can do it, so why can't Superman do it? At this point in the game, fans are basically begging Warner and DC to give them an adaptation exclusively focused on Superman. There are no news on the movie front, Superman was basically a supporting character in the Elseworlds crossover and the rumors about a new video game turned out to be fake. Superman should be the main character of his own story, without a supporting cast of fellow superheroes behind his back.

You can argue that it is difficult to adapt Superman to other media because he is too powerful, but anyone with a reasonable knowledge on the comics should know that there are plenty of villains that can give Superman a true challenge. Beyond that, some of the best moments in Superman's history don't come from the Man of Steel defeating bad guys but just proving he can be there for people who need him most, like All-Star Superman. Superman can be more that just spectacular action, he can be someone we can all relate to. Warner and DC just need to be creative in adapting Superman to other media.

My first Superman was this one. From DC Animated series. Well technically second as the first time i saw Superman was in Justice League Animated series.

I have some real fond memories of this series. It was so exciting and dynamic. I still remember watching the third episode which begins with Superman saving a plane and fighting John Corben in the metallic suit. My mind was blown by the superheroics.

To this day this Superman design remains a favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by HeroVladimir93 View Post
    Superman is my favorite superhero and I always look forward to more Superman stories, but the biggest problem I can see with Superman in the modern era is that outside the comic books, he almost never carries an entire story on his own. He always has to share the spotlight with another hero (Batman v. Superman) or an ensemble cast (Justice League). It would appear that Warner and DC no longer think Superman can be interesting on his own or that he can be the sole protagonist of a story. Batman can do it, Wonder Woman can do it, even Aquaman can do it, so why can't Superman do it? At this point in the game, fans are basically begging Warner and DC to give them an adaptation exclusively focused on Superman. There are no news on the movie front, Superman was basically a supporting character in the Elseworlds crossover and the rumors about a new video game turned out to be fake. Superman should be the main character of his own story, without a supporting cast of fellow superheroes behind his back.

You can argue that it is difficult to adapt Superman to other media because he is too powerful, but anyone with a reasonable knowledge on the comics should know that there are plenty of villains that can give Superman a true challenge. Beyond that, some of the best moments in Superman's history don't come from the Man of Steel defeating bad guys but just proving he can be there for people who need him most, like All-Star Superman. Superman can be more that just spectacular action, he can be someone we can all relate to. Warner and DC just need to be creative in adapting Superman to other media.
    I agree with everything you said. Superman has a knack of doing things which can make us gasp. But personally, i find him most appealing when he is quite ordinary. His heart makes him so very endearing. Such a moment comes from of all places in 'Red Son'.

Dude will save lives. But he has time to return back the balloon to the kid, just to see him smile. That's 'Super'.

Something more recent.

Last edited by Soubhagya; 01-07-2019 at 11:41 AM.