Default The Problem with Vathlo and "Black" Kryptonians

Ok I don't think "Black" Kyptonians should be depicted as Dark as People of African descent normally are but should be lighter in coloration like Dwayne Johnson or Cory Booker since Krypton sun was red and weaker then Earth

This is what a Vathloian male and Female should look like skintone wise.

Last edited by Lokimaru; 12-22-2019 at 05:59 AM.

Heh, well, I think part of the idea was the Superman was a representative of the population of the region he came from and only that one region. We don't see a lot of the others, but I seem to remember some Zoners that looked almost albino. Maybe by Kryptonian standards Superman is a medium complexion and not light?

Here is an example of a "black" Krytonian living on Argo City in the Supergirl TV series. This is Councilman Jul-Us played by Tim Russ, who also played a "black" Vulcan on Star Trek Voyager.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I don't actually think this is true at all given the fact that we're talking about a race of creatures that draw in more solar rays on average than we do. Pigmentation isn't based on the sun in direct sense, but rather what our bodies do in in response to the sun. You're assumption is based on the idea that Kryptonians draw in sunlight in a similar way to us, but obviously that's not true. If anything-- and this isn't my field really-- they'd be baseline darker I think.

But ultimately it's moot given they're fictional, and sunshine makes them fly. So calling this a "problem" is...odd? I mean, the problem to who?
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I don't actually think this is true at all given the fact that we're talking about a race of creatures that draw in more solar rays on average than we do. Pigmentation isn't based on the sun in direct sense, but rather what our bodies do in in response to the sun. You're assumption is based on the idea that Kryptonians draw in sunlight in a similar way to us, but obviously that's not true. If anything-- and this isn't my field really-- they'd be baseline darker I think.

But ultimately it's moot given they're fictional, and sunshine makes them fly. So calling this a "problem" is...odd? I mean, the problem to who?
    Yeah, the physical reasons for RW color variation don't really work when it's fictional alien genetics. Also, the idea that very dark skin IRL is actually an adaptation to hot climate with high sunlight is questionable anyways. Sure some of the darkest people historically live in the hot/sunny areas. But.... not all of the highly dark people do. And while you don't see a lot of light skinned people in the hot/sunny parts of the world you do see a lot of people who are medium at best.

It's more likely that it's genetic clustering at work, and not adaptation that causes extremely dark skin IRL. Which kinda fits with Vathlo. Most of the inhabitants have those genes because their ancestors were people with them.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Also, the idea that very dark skin IRL is actually an adaptation to hot climate with high sunlight is questionable anyways. Sure some of the darkest people historically live in the hot/sunny areas. But.... not all of the highly dark people do. And while you don't see a lot of light skinned people in the hot/sunny parts of the world you do see a lot of people who are medium at best.
    Actually no. That's a super big no. That's super backed by science and study in genetics. I did not in any way shape or form imply that this wasn't true. I mean, I'm not gonna sit here and draw you a freakin punnett square, but I will assure you that you very much do inherent your phenotypically characteristics (such as pigmentation, hair texture, eye color, and so on) through dominant and recessive genes of your ancestors who made those physical adaptations based on their environments and breeding. A very dark or very light person can thus be born and live anywhere especially today, but it does 100% start with the adaption to environment.

But the OP this thread is also super flawed in their hypothesis based on the fictional characteristics of a kryptonian ie the fact that they are evolved to draw in more rays from the sun than us. If their skin reacted similarly to us then they'd maybe be baseline darker rather than light as a whole compared to us. But since we're talked about super not real people, they just look like us and they fly, and that's the long and short of it.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yeah...I... can't say I expected this thread direction
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES