Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Huh! Is he indian?An indian superman fan. I wonder where he's from. Those are rare. Most indians prefer what's hip at the moment. Most of my friends are iron man fans because of the mcu. But, surprisingly couple of them actually took to comics. They still think superman is lame, though.
    Hey! This is just my experience though.
    I am among those rare Indian fans. I have a theory. Indians really don't need superheroes. In India most of our film heroes are over the top. When an ordinary guy can fight off twenty bad guys without getting a scratch Captain America looks like a p*ssy. Honestly, when i tried to show some clips from Winter Soldier to my friend on a phone, who is very much into South Indian films which are well known over OTT action, he dozed off. It could be due to a long day at the office, but i was surprised to see that reaction.

One example of OTT action. Fight begins at around 1 minute mark.

The guy in black (played by the always good Ajay Devgan) is at least into wrestling. The other guy (played by Abhishek Bachhan who is good in some movies) is just his secretary. The one who keeps notes of finances or appointments. This is the most boring five minutes in an otherwise awesome comedy. (Though i think its hard to recommend to anyone who doesn't speak hindi).

Over time the MCU films have developed a fanbase in India due to their consistent quality and likeable characters. And also because epic vfx action sequences is something we haven't nailed. Endgame and Infinity War broke box office records in India which i never imagined any superhero films could.

That same friend was pretty impressed by Man of Steel scenes, notably flight. Superman being lame is because his movies are lame. The best Superman movie that i can think of is in 70s and 80s. And they are pretty dated for now. Give a high quality and entertaining Superman movie and i think everyone would love him. Its so frustrating because its so easy to like Superman. Its sad that more people aren't reading comics. If my only exposure to Superman was DCEU or CW's Supergirl, i don't think i would like Superman that much.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 10-07-2019 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Cool! He must be connected to south india.
    Yeah! Well, atleast they think superman is better than most indian superheroes that are created in india. Even marvel and stan lee tried to make an indian superhero,'chakra'(which means wheel in some indian languages). But they failed.indian don't normally take to superheroes.
    Suprisingly, the best indian superhero was made in a 90s tv show called 'shakthimaan' (which translates powerman loosely in hindi and some other languages ) is based entirely on superman. In the 90s, 00s, 'shakthimaan' was hugley popular in india.it has not sged well. But it was cheesy fun.

This is 'gangadhar', based on clark kent persona
    shakthimaan, aka indian superman

I grew up in the 90s. And Shaktimaan was very very popular. Kids were crazy for him. I agree with the part about it being cheesy. I tried to watch some of it sometime ago and it has become very dated. It will always have a place in my heart.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    I am among those rare Indian fans. I have a theory. Indians really don't need superheroes. In India most of our film heroes are over the top. When an ordinary guy can fight off twenty bad guys without getting a scratch Captain America looks like a p*ssy. Honestly, when i tried to show some clips from Winter Soldier to my friend on a phone, who is very much into South Indian films which are well known over OTT action, he dozed off. It could be due to a long day at the office, but i was surprised to see that reaction.

One example of OTT action. Fight begins at around 1 minute mark.

The guy in black (played by the always good Ajay Devgan) is at least into wrestling. The other guy (played by Abhishek Bachhan who is good in some movies) is just his secretary. The one who keeps notes of finances or appointments. This is the most boring five minutes in an otherwise awesome comedy. (Though i think its hard to recommend to anyone who doesn't speak hindi).

Over time the MCU films have developed a fanbase in India due to their consistent quality and likeable characters. And also because epic vfx action sequences is something we haven't nailed. Endgame and Infinity War broke box office records in India which i never imagined any superhero films could.

That same friend was pretty impressed by Man of Steel scenes, notably flight. Superman being lame is because his movies are lame. The best Superman movie that i can think of is in 70s and 80s. And they are pretty dated for now. Give a high quality and entertaining Superman movie and i think everyone would love him. Its so frustrating because its so easy to like Superman. Its sad that more people aren't reading comics. If my only exposure to Superman was DCEU or CW's Supergirl, i don't think i would like Superman that much.
    images (19).jpg

1543554-2.jpg

However later on he donned his own mild mannered Clark Kent disguise.

Last edited by BBally; 10-07-2019 at 02:31 PM.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

BANNED

saw this pic on twitter. Anyone knows where this statue is?

EDIT: Eh, nevermind. Pointless comment not even worth making.
    Last edited by Ascended; 11-18-2019 at 08:15 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MeGrimlock420 View Post
    I can't believe, put off reading this. Go donna, go. Finally, some justice for the titans. The league jerks were the ones that disbanded the titans. I am glad someone finally did something. Even though, it was superman. I was rooting for donna the entire time.

Superman and the Avengers were trending this weekend on twitter.

During a big sports game, I think. Some guy on TV mentioned them. Apparently he doesn't know Superman is not a Marvel character. Or maybe he just likes him.

Superman Red Son trailer

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Hey, I'm in my 30s issue of Golden Age Superman, and besides Ultra and Luthor there haven't been named villains yet. He's still mainly fighting people problems for the people. This works if read in single issues monthly, but as a trade read through, it's getting boring ^^

I'm starting to think it's better to switch to the Anniversary volumes or the likes of that for Golden Age. Are there any trade that collects the complete significant story progression, character development or villains origin, chronologically?

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Hey, I'm in my 30s issue of Golden Age Superman, and besides Ultra and Luthor there haven't been named villains yet. He's still mainly fighting people problems for the people. This works if read in single issues monthly, but as a trade read through, it's getting boring ^^

I'm starting to think it's better to switch to the Anniversary volumes or the likes of that for Golden Age. Are there any trade that collects the complete significant story progression, character development or villains origin, chronologically?
    Agreed, Golden age Superman stories if we read a single issue monthly, It should be interesting. But when you take it as a trade read its really boring, I skimmed many not involving villains/Superpowers stories.And started reading Silver Age Superboy and LOSH stories
    And I must say they're really getting interesting and more dynamic since the later 1960s, Just finishing read sun-eater story, It feels good and though still had some space to improve, But still, It better than I expected
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

To be fair they were really designed a long time ago for a younger audience to dispose of after reading. The eponymous title wasn't even monthly for a long time.

Despite the insane wealth of material and some good arcs occasionally from the 60s on, Superman imo really wasn't a binge character until about the time Byrne was writing three titles, with Milton Fine and the big anniversary of Action #600. Before that I think he was the best episodic character if you don't mind random redundancy and a sillier take on sci-fi action adventure. It kind of lives on how little you care about continuity and how well you do with aging storytelling.

For the golden age I'd really skip to Superman Chronicles vol 8. The stories get a little more memorable. Superman in the Forties is kind of a weird trade. I feel like it could have been better selected.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I'm checking various trades that possibly can give me what I want...

The Celebration of 75 Years is not it, I don't think... it includes the first appearance of Supergirl, but does it also include the first appearance of Metallo, Bizarro, and Toyman? Sounds like the titles are more about Superman's character, which makes sense, but don't know if a "general idea of Superman" is what I want...

Ah. Action Comics: 80 Years of Superman Deluxe Edition seems to have Toyman's first appearance... but just Toyman... I don't know if it has the others.

Is this really it? The general compilation album? There's Superman vs Mongul but it's one villain specific, and I don't like Mongul enough to get just him.

I think I'm gonna track where the significant issues are from the characters' wiki and see which trade they're available.