Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I wasn't quite sure what you were willing to look for in a trade. Villains? The Lex, Brainiac, and Mongul trades really are good if you want a villian look through the years. Mongul was his best under Starlin, who also created Thanos. And of course you have Moore in there too. Tales of Bizarro is a little different but he's a fun character so it's worth getting, too. Past and Future is a great cross section of his time travelling adventures, one of my favorite trades overall. I don't think there is anything for first appearances specifically but with most characters I can't say that's a bad thing. I think Mongul is the only one who didn't come off like a rough draft initally.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Something that's as close as possible to this list, in as few trades as possible
    1. The first appearance of classic Superman supporting characters (Jimmy, Lana, Pete, Perry, etc)
    2. The definitive story of those supporting characters that define their character in history

Excepting Supergirl since she has her own books

3. The first appearance of classic Superman villains (Metallo, Toyman, Silver Banshee, Bizarro, Brainiac, etc)
    4. The definitive story of those villains that makes them a classic

Excepting Luthor, since he has his own collection

5. Significant stories that have Superman's character development or major events of his life (marriage, death of Kents)

Except for his Death or any other events that require a whole story arc to tell.
    All arranged in chronological order

Some characters like Supergirl, Mongul, and Luthor has their own collection, Brainiac maybe, and Doomsday's story is included in Death and Return so I will be picking all of those separately, but the rest, the ones that are not as popular, are they collected in any trade? (I found Toyman's maybe first appearance in Action Comics 80th anniversary)
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 12-22-2019 at 02:08 AM.

1. If you're making your way through the Golden Age I'd imagine you have Action #1 for Lois, Superman #7 for Perry, and #13 for Jimmy. Lana and Pete haven't had their first appearances collected apparently. Wiki sites claim Steve's first appearance was reprinted, but it wasn't. The upcoming Byrne hardcover should have the first appearances of Hamilton, Cat, General Sam Lane, Maggie, and Turpin iirc.

2. Jimmy is easy. The Kirby collection, Strange Transformations trade, Nick Spencer's story, and the current series should be a satisfying cross section. Lois has her own trades too. Everyone else is really difficult because they're bit characters whose appearances across many years add up, instead of having considerably dramatic storylines. Between the Daily Planet tpb and Moore's Whatever Happened I think you come away with a good look at many of those characters without getting insanely specific (most of them aren't all that static anyway).

3. The first appearance of Supergirl has been reprinted a number of times but Man of Tomorrow archives also gives you John Corben, the original Metallo. His brother Roger takes over in Superman #310 but that hasn't been reprinted. You can find the golden age Metalo, Toyman, Prankster, a definitive old Luthor story, and some very early villains in the golden age omnibus vol 3. Mxy is in omnibus 4. Brainiac has his own trade, Silver Banshee will be in the Byrne hardcover.

4. That gets pretty subjective, easily moreso than the supporting cast but also easier to find in collection. Are you big on the versions from the cartoons, or current ongoings or anything? If I had an idea of what you like I think I can narrow down the recommendations.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    1. If you're making your way through the Golden Age I'd imagine you have Action #1 for Lois, Superman #7 for Perry, and #13 for Jimmy. Lana and Pete haven't had their first appearances collected apparently. Wiki sites claim Steve's first appearance was reprinted, but it wasn't. The upcoming Byrne hardcover should have the first appearances of Hamilton, Cat, General Sam Lane, Maggie, and Turpin iirc.

2. Jimmy is easy. The Kirby collection, Strange Transformations trade, Nick Spencer's story, and the current series should be a satisfying cross section. Lois has her own trades too. Everyone else is really difficult because they're bit characters whose appearances across many years add up, instead of having considerably dramatic storylines. Between the Daily Planet tpb and Moore's Whatever Happened I think you come away with a good look at many of those characters without getting insanely specific (most of them aren't all that static anyway).

3. The first appearance of Supergirl has been reprinted a number of times but Man of Tomorrow archives also gives you John Corben, the original Metallo. His brother Roger takes over in Superman #310 but that hasn't been reprinted. You can find the golden age Metalo, Toyman, Prankster, a definitive old Luthor story, and some very early villains in the golden age omnibus vol 3. Mxy is in omnibus 4. Brainiac has his own trade, Silver Banshee will be in the Byrne hardcover.

4. That gets pretty subjective, easily moreso than the supporting cast but also easier to find in collection. Are you big on the versions from the cartoons, or current ongoings or anything? If I had an idea of what you like I think I can narrow down the recommendations.
    Oh, Sam Lane, Maggie, Cat and Silver Banshee are Post Crisis characters?

I'm sure I'll end up getting all the Byrne collection anyway since he's the worldbuilder for Post Crisis. Already interested in the Krypton and Daily Planet one.

Although when it comes to Krypton I prefer it a futuristic technology utopia but not dead and sterile like Byrne's version. Aesthetically I'm partial to the Silver Age or Birthright looks. Ken Rocafort in New 52 also draws a really cool Krypton.

Then I guess I'll just continue with Golden Age since I'm already in the middle of Vol. 2.

I know almost nothing about Superman villains except specific stories or general ideas so anything's fine. I never watched the cartoons... wasn't big on Superman as a kid.

Oh. I LOVE Lex Luthor: The Unauthorized Autobiography. It's dark, mature, but not overtly violent or sexual. Really great art and awesome cover too. It's just right to my taste when it comes to a mature story.

Zod! How can I forget Zod? When was Zod first appear and trending?

Thank you very much!

Sam Lane was actually a pre crisis character, but had a smaller role as basically just the Lois version of Pa. He was just a farmer.

I also wish Rocafort in particular got to do more of Krypton. He's one of those artists who can draw like a million pages of galactic expanse and alien design. Liam Sharpe is also really great at that but he's done very little Superman so far. Besides also Birthright it's hard to say we've seen much exploration. New Krypton had a lot of Kryptonians but it's hard to recommend. The 2000s era Return to Krypton trade might be worthwhile, and thr World of Krypton trade that also collects the pre crisis stories is cool.

Wish I actually read that Azzarello comic on Luthor because it's probably the closest to Unauthorized Biography. Aside from that I'd actually have to recommend the Action Comics 23.3 issue and of all things the Porky Pig cross over. They Saved Luthor's Brain, the 1990 World's Finest, Under a Yellow Sun, and President Lex all line up with that Luthor, while All Star is just an obvious pick for his finest hour.

Zod on the other hand has almost always struggled to live up to the popularity brought about by Superman II. Man of Steel volume 9, Last Son, and Superman/Wonder Woman's first arc are probably the best. The Vs Zod trade is alright but kinda spotlights that issue.