Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Seriously, there is a lot of romance in Superman... that dialogue wow.. When was this?

one more LL...initial letter of the name need to have LL to have the attention of the superman, if it doesn't have, So the love is not real LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Superfamily View Post
    one more LL...initial letter of the name need to have LL to have the attention of the superman, if it doesn't have, So the love is not real LOL
    I'm not sure but I think I read that Siegel had a daughter named Laura...?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I'm not sure but I think I read that Siegel had a daughter named Laura...?
    yes!!! And the first letter of her name is L
    Last edited by Superfamily; 02-09-2019 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfamily View Post
    yes!!! And the first letter of her name is L
    very interesting haha

Master Hero Vladimir

I don't know if this is the right thread to discuss this, but this is still something I have to say: I understand that Superman is burdened with this reputation of being too powerful, too benevolent, always having the right answer and not having to face any real tragedy or challenges and that other heroes, like Batman, are more interesting because they face genuine moral dilemmas and have to earn what they got to. Being a Superman fan who has followed the comics since 2008, I wholeheartedly disagree with this opinion, but that just leaves me wondering: "if Superman has already completed his character development and become the hero the world needs, then is there anything left to explore about him?"

Since Superman stories have been in ongoing publication since the Golden Age, that must mean the authors from DC must have come up with new dynamic layers to explore about Superman. It would be hard to make long-running stories about a character that never really changes and largely stays the same, but still, there has to be something interesting to explore about a character who supposedly embodies the best ideals of mankind without having to go back on all the character development he experienced throughout the history of DC Comics. Back when The New 52 started, the DC higher-ups said that Superman had become such an iconic and legendary character that it was hard to portray him as an emotionally compelling protagonist in a dramatic story. If Superman is brave, confident, masculine, intelligent and endlessly benevolent and has no direct character flaws, how do you introduce conflict in his stories?

Maybe the writers could focus on the situations Superman experiences instead of focusing on his character development. With his character development apparently completed, Superman could work towards improving the world around him. That seems like a good idea at first glance, but it also comes with the risk of making Superman come off like a blank slate that mostly reacts to the things that happen to him instead of having genuine agency and independence. Some writers and artists have taken focus away from Superman and instead developed the supporting cast, and while this might seem attractive, it's not an approach that could work long term.

This might seem like I'm making a mountain out of a molehill and that I'm overanalyzing Superman too much, but Superman is my favorite literary character ever and I want his stories to be the best. Do you know any good stories out there that focus on Superman's character above his archetype?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

The difficult part for me as a fan is realizing what people don't get out of his stories. How you feel and what goes into your context changes your perception. My answer to your question would be like... all of them. But is there something in particular you would be looking to see happen with his character? Maybe the best I can figure is seeing if there would be something specific and so obvious to me that it ends up being the best agreeable example.

It's not always easy for people to get the time and access that many of us enjoy so much, but if you can ever seek out some of the things that might get recommended, for good or bad the feedback is so welcome. I miss letter columns.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Well they are putting focus on Superman as a father. A family man. That's an interesting development. Its not as well done as it could be. But yes. There is a lot of potential.

Takes like. Letting go of your children. Learning to trust them to make their own mistakes. How do you approach your own superheroics? You keep thinking about your family. Sometimes even between your heroics. The joy in seeing them grow. Fatherhood changes a person quite a bit. That's one of the approaches they can take in the movies. You can have the archetype who is still evolving.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-10-2019 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Well they are putting focus on Superman as a father. A family man. That's an interesting development. Its not as well done as it could be. But yes. There is a lot of potential.

Takes like. Letting go of your children. Learning to trust them to make their own mistakes. How do you approach your own superheroics? You keep thinking about your family. Sometimes even between your heroics. The joy in seeing them grow. Fatherhood changes a person quite a bit. That's one of the approaches they can take in the movies. You can have the archetype who is still evolving.
    This. Personally, I've never seen Superman as someone totally perfect because nobody is. He is just a really good guy with strong morals who really tries to do what's right. And doing what's right is not always easy even for Superman. Imagine all the people that die while he is having some personal time with his friends or family. He has to ignore it as much as he can otherwise he'd go mad with guilt.

I think the fact he is a husband, lover, father, son and friend makes him more emotionally vulnerable. His stories should focus some of stuff like that instead of stories that show him turning evil because he couldn't cope with the death of someone dear. Show him to struggle and with some doubt, but don't entertain those "negative" emotions far too long. Just because he's Superman it doesn't mean he knows everything. It's ok if someone give him advice on something It doesn't even have to be someone close to him. We sometimes learn good lesson from someone we meet on the streets. They did that in Death of Superman movie when Barry told him he really had to trust Lois with his secret. IMO, there are ways to show his vulnerable sides without making him too brooding or evil. Focus on his humanity.

So far in the live action movies, I don't think we have seen all his different sides. Not as a husband or a father. Besides, in the Snyder movies we've seen him too angsty, IMO, so it's time to show his confidence way more and his optimism. It's time for him to be more of a leader and a friend to humans. I need to see him more happy while helping and saving people. I want to see him going to a hospital to see orphan children or seniors. I feel there is so much we still haven't seen.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 02-10-2019 at 09:34 PM.

“Didn’t expect to knock off THE bucket list item today on a visit to Crystal Bridges—but there was an O.G. Action Comics #1 (and the following issues in the same bound collector’s set) at their new exhibit “Men of Steel and Women of Wonder.” Pretty sure they’ll have to clean my nose print off the glass. Superman is my man, and while I’m sure I won’t be able to ever get my hands on the very first appearance of him, it was nearly surreal to see it with my own eyes.”

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtuMvPXF8pg/

BANNED

BANNED

Expect new Superman toys from McFarlane

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/02/...tibles-in-2020

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post

That's cool. As I was reading the article. I was thinking about merging Spawn/Superman or Spawn/Batman. I know McFarlane created Spawn.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post

Good 12 inch Superman and Batman figures that won't cost around $299? I'm in!
    Last edited by Knightsilver; 02-12-2019 at 05:34 PM.