Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Check out these covers and pages to some Superman manga series from the 50s.

Sources claim that the one of the Superman manga runs was done by Tatsuo Yoshida, who would later found Tatsunoko Studios with his brothers and helped create classic anime titles such as Speed Racer, Yattaman and Gatchaman aka Battle Of the Planets aka G-Force.

Had to use attachment because CBR won't upload pictures from computer or show the pictures when I use URL.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Some more Superman manga covers
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Some great Superman art I saw on twitter yesterday. It seems the first trunkless costume was the black suit he wore in the return of Superman?

source: https://twitter.com/Nolanium/status/1111312697813954560

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I've always had a real curiosity about foreign equivalents and I love how that manga seems like Ishinomori style aping Boring.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Very cute baby, congrats!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Totally adorable. Cute kid. Sometime I'll have to post pics of my daughter dressed up as Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) for a costume party at my LCS. She was about the same age as your boy.

And he thinks Clark is an act? Good man! He's got good taste.
    Thanks!

Ascended, how old are they now?
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Was doing some spring cleaning found a 1998 Superman Wizard Special celebrating the 60th Anniversary pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Thanks!

Ascended, how old are they now?
    My son is 12 and my daughter is 5. He's a complete nerd; science and computers, no sports at all (drives me nuts but I'd rather he be smart than athletic, it'll take him farther) and my girl is a force of nature, always running around and exploring and getting into things she shouldn't.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

Man,current justice league issue preview
    Supes haven't sunlight for a long time(even haven't food,where to get food is white superman telling he).But still managed survived white superman rock planet even shattering asteroids attack unharmed
    https://i.imgur.com/UxQdsdz.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/pl43Jy2.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/OZk7Um7.jpg
    Recently,I really feel dc having some favors to superman family(recently,Jon and supes both very impressive)
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyuiop1998 View Post
    Recently,I really feel dc having some favors to superman family(recently,Jon and supes both very impressive)
    Things have been better than usual lately. Leviathan is the first time Superman has headlined a big Event since.....Our Worlds At War, back in 2001, maybe? He's supposed to have a big role in Doomsday Clock (though he hasn't done a lot yet). Lois and Jim are getting books, Kara's book is still on the shelf (though I hear the sales are awful?), and the main titles are doing what they do and seem to be holding in sales. The books have big name creative teams. Snyder's done some good stuff with him in JL.

We'll see how it all goes. In my experience, the Super-line will see this kind of resurgence and quality effort for a little while, a couple years....and then DC will reverse course and drive the books back down into the abyss. I dunno why it seems to cycle like that, maybe DC expects the franchise to bounce back faster than is reasonable (they've spent thirty years abusing Superman, he's not going to be a consistent Top 10 seller again overnight; too many fans have been conditioned to assume the books are bad) or if they just lack the constitution and desire to put in long-term investment.....I dunno. And it does seem like DC's been putting in some actual effort since Rebirth, so this push is already running longer than many. I dunno, Im very happy with the effort DC seems to be giving Superman but I've seen them pull the carpet out from under us too often to be totally optimistic.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

(they've spent thirty years abusing Superman, he's not going to be a consistent Top 10 seller again overnight; too many fans have been conditioned to assume the books are bad)
    As every thing is someone's favorite, I think this statement is sort of abusive to the hundreds of people across thousands of projects. Even Wolverine has basically come and gone (I say this likely before they announce a new title that projects 400k sales for the first few issues) and Superman is just chugging along as an iron tortoise.

But there is that real perception and even the smash Marvel successes can hardly boost comics. Maybe the spin offs can become popular enough to return the favor as I hope. Supergirl is probably doing worse than expected but it's still a cool sci fi adventure book, like the New 52 version I guess but more traditional. Can't wait to see what Lois and Jimmy do to turn some heads.

It's all about writing great stories with heart and intrigue that capture the imagination really. ^

Nice art helps a lot too.. *-*

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    As every thing is someone's favorite, I think this statement is sort of abusive to the hundreds of people across thousands of projects. Even Wolverine has basically come and gone (I say this likely before they announce a new title that projects 400k sales for the first few issues) and Superman is just chugging along as an iron tortoise.

But there is that real perception and even the smash Marvel successes can hardly boost comics. Maybe the spin offs can become popular enough to return the favor as I hope. Supergirl is probably doing worse than expected but it's still a cool sci fi adventure book, like the New 52 version I guess but more traditional. Can't wait to see what Lois and Jimmy do to turn some heads.
    How is it abusive? I mean yes, the Super titles chug along and survive no matter how bad things get. Superman is still deeply entrenched in our culture, to such a deep degree that I feel like we're born knowing who he is. And I've no doubt that long after I've turned to dust, Superman will still be here. Hell, he'll likely outlast America itself (such is the deep degree of faith I have in the Superman concept). But it seems to be a fairly consistent consensus that the titles haven't seen great quality in decades, with a few highlights and bright spots scattered throughout (where those bright spots are, we argue about, but the idea seems pretty widely accepted from my experience). Obviously not all of us feel that way, and clearly there's plenty of ride-or-die fans, but I dont think pointing out that years of mismanagement have hurt the IP's brand trust is abusing anyone.....unless we include the managers who have consistently screwed things up......and they deserved to be called out on their failures.

Im not bothered that Superman isn't #1 on the sales charts. He was outsold by Shazam as far back as the 40's and hasn't been at the top of the charts consistently since maybe before I was even born. But can you really say, seriously, that Superman has been treated well and respectfully by DC, consistently, over the last twenty-thirty years? I mean, come on, the Super-titles were used as purgatory for a known sexual predator; a punishment. You don't do that to franchises you value.
    Last edited by Ascended; 04-02-2019 at 05:05 PM.

~ Black Panther.

Bad writing seems like is something that happens to many DC characters, no? I hear Wonder Woman fans complaining a lot about that too. I just assume that it's really difficult to writer great stories on a very consistent basis, but occasionally we get gems and classics. Does Batman and other characters have more luck, or their fans complain less?

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Bad writing seems like is something that happens to many DC characters, no? I hear Wonder Woman fans complaining a lot about that too. I just assume that it's really difficult to writer great stories on a very consistent basis, but occasionally we get gems and classics. Does Batman and other characters have more luck, or their fans complain less?
    Yeah,I have same feeling.I personally think writing a great story on a very consistent and long life continuity is very difficult to writers.And unfortunately,bad writers always overwhelming good writers in numbers
    From my opinion.Batman got very luckily in recent dozens of years,But I think the luckiest was wally,He really got a bunch of good writers to writing him.Batman nowadays reputation also have credit to his years cumulation.And nowadays people aesthetic fatigue to saint protagonist like supes,they seeking more "dark" things.IMO
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

How is it abusive? I mean yes, the Super titles chug along and survive no matter how bad things get. Superman is still deeply entrenched in our culture, to such a deep degree that I feel like we're born knowing who he is. And I've no doubt that long after I've turned to dust, Superman will still be here. Hell, he'll likely outlast America itself (such is the deep degree of faith I have in the Superman concept). But it seems to be a fairly consistent consensus that the titles haven't seen great quality in decades, with a few highlights and bright spots scattered throughout (where those bright spots are, we argue about, but the idea seems pretty widely accepted from my experience). Obviously not all of us feel that way, and clearly there's plenty of ride-or-die fans, but I dont think pointing out that years of mismanagement have hurt the IP's brand trust is abusing anyone.....unless we include the managers who have consistently screwed things up......and they deserved to be called out on their failures.

Im not bothered that Superman isn't #1 on the sales charts. He was outsold by Shazam as far back as the 40's and hasn't been at the top of the charts consistently since maybe before I was even born. But can you really say, seriously, that Superman has been treated well and respectfully by DC, consistently, over the last twenty-thirty years? I mean, come on, the Super-titles were used as purgatory for a known sexual predator; a punishment. You don't do that to franchises you value.
    Sorry. I did feel bad that you may not like the word abusive as it sounds like an accusation, but I initially figured we were using it in the same sense that goes less toward bad motives and more toward somewhat inadequate quality of treatment.

I have no idea really why there would be such a consensus. I have to respect that it's subjective, but I vehemently disagree. I disgree with there being "spots" because Superman has overwhelmed nearly every opportunity. Superman has the quantity that at least by math puts him ahead of everyone else. He's fought Ali and the Abominable Snowman, teamed up with Top Cat and Bugs Bunny, been a herald of Galactus, uncovered a time lost Jules Verne and who knows how many ancient societies, stolen a Green Lantern's ring, become a mecha, flown through limbo, stuck his hand into our reality. He's dated mermaids and lived in the sun. Etc. He's the least mundane of all. Somehow he can be overlooked for flash or critical popularity, sure. I have to respect that I can't change anyone's mind but if you're holding a fresh 50 dollar bill to the sun as you sit on a hill of old silver dollars, it's all I can say.

As for management, I think Superman had the best before Berganza. People who had creators check their ego for Clark's benefit and basically said, "okay, you did a good story, what else you got?" I try not to get into what Schwartz and Berganza have done to people outside of the line because it really doesn't have anything to do with Superman. The Superman line at a given time can sustain two to four titles and spin offs, nothing to sneeze at. There's no indication that Berganza was say, kept on Superman for the irony of working the great true superhero while behaving badly. It wasn't a punishment for the character to keep him there, what would that mean? Batman keeping the lead he already had? Batman being #1 as a result of a ploy and not simply a case where a larger public took to what he offered? Throughout the explosive wave of predator scandals, you have to remember that the people who stuck around to do such things were typically considered successful and capable in their roles. Power trips commonly. People you can point at are only as flawed as anyone else. Bad decisions can be made with any brand and popularity is fleeting by definition; the X-Men have fallen harder in 20 years than 30 for Superman for one thing. At least with Superman you have 80 years with dozens of creators and editors who have poured out dozens or hundreds of stories each. I don't want them thrown under the bus because they're all what makes Superman great.

Tldr; when I hear something like "Superman has been poorly handled for 30 years" I think of Carlin's gang with Siegel out on the set of Lois and Clark or Swan kicking his ideas around for a change. There are a small handful of runs where people have admitted not feeling the character or process, but I have no doubt that everyone has tried.

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyuiop1998 View Post
    Yeah,I have same feeling.I personally think writing a great story on a very consistent and long life continuity is very difficult to writers.And unfortunately,bad writers always overwhelming good writers in numbers
    From my opinion.Batman got very luckily in recent dozens of years,But I think the luckiest was wally,He really got a bunch of good writers to writing him.Batman nowadays reputation also have credit to his years cumulation.And nowadays people aesthetic fatigue to saint protagonist like supes,they seeking more "dark" things.IMO
    maybe in comics but in live action people seem to support more fun superhero movies and shows. depends how good the stories and plot are.