Page 35 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

The moment Jon Kent was "born" I thought "replacement Superboy". Kids in comics always have this problem. You can't age them without aging the universe around them each year. And they can never be "older" than the universe around them (Jon can never be twenty as that would put most adult heroes in their fifties). So inevitably they get aged up artificially. Or they're kept young like Bart Simpson, but that makes the universe seem more stagnant for some reason. The designs for LOSH simply confirm he's "permanently" Superboy, even resembling New 52 Superman slightly.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beetee View Post
    The moment Jon Kent was "born" I thought "replacement Superboy". Kids in comics always have this problem. You can't age them without aging the universe around them each year. And they can never be "older" than the universe around them (Jon can never be twenty as that would put most adult heroes in their fifties). So inevitably they get aged up artificially. Or they're kept young like Bart Simpson, but that makes the universe seem more stagnant for some reason. The designs for LOSH simply confirm he's "permanently" Superboy, even resembling New 52 Superman slightly.
    Are you kidding? If that is the case the entire legacies of dc will have the same problem starting from dick grayson.And should be aged up and possibly erased. But they don't. It only happens to superman's support characters.
    Nobody really cares about age. The problem here isn't jon is aged up. But he was aged up without full filling his potential as a kid. Now the editorial might be fixated on age. That might be why they do this kind of stupidity.i mean they do hate the titans. But fans generally don't give a damn. Nobody asks why bruce has so many robins or why there so many flashes. If they do, they are not really fans.
    come on, nobody said it was compulsory for jon to be in legion. It wasn't the original direction for the character until bendis graced us with his presence.
    There isn't anything as "permanent" in comics. If people hate it, jon will be back.

I agree. I know they get aged up - don't like it, but I know it. But I thought the coming-in-as-a-10-year-old solved the problem for Jon, and he'd be aged similarly to Damian.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Are you kidding? If that is the case the entire legacies of dc will have the same problem starting from dick grayson.And should be aged up and possibly erased. But they don't. It only happens to superman's support characters.
    Nobody really cares about age. The problem here isn't jon is aged up. But he was aged up without full filling his potential as a kid. Now the editorial might be fixated on age. That might be why they do this kind of stupidity.i mean they do hate the titans. But fans generally don't give a damn. Nobody asks why bruce has so many robins or why there so many flashes. If they do, they are not really fans.
    come on, nobody said it was compulsory for jon to be in legion. It wasn't the original direction for the character until bendis graced us with his presence.
    There isn't anything as "permanent" in comics. If people hate it, jon will be back.
    becasue 3 adult kryptonian means the world is never in danger

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    becasue 3 adult kryptonian means the world is never in danger
    A world where a naked blue man with god complex and powers to match. an imp who can easily vanish you. Not mention all the speedsters and non sensical things. Sure thing.
    If an earth can have one saitama and still be in constant trouble. then, i am sure dc earth will do just as good at getting into trouble with 3 supermen.

Fans? No. Certain heads at DC? Well, look at what's been happening to Dick's generation in the comics as of late. Several killed off in HiC, Wally as the killer (and covered it up), Donna as an alcoholic, and Dick himself is "Ric" and isn't even the main focus in his own book, which has been basically directionless since Dick was shot in the head.

Because I forgot my post about trying to be positive, and this is an appreciation thread, here's something I came across today to appreciate Jon before the dark times.

EDIT:
    Wow. Did not know all the other ones were part of the same image. Oh well. Enjoy it all. It's cute XD
    Guess it's Wally before the dark times too.

Well, DC Rebirth was about being more hopeful all around.

Mighty Member

Please forgive my frustrated rambling.

Sigh...I knew all this Legion stuff was coming, yet seeing the art still brings me new pangs of heartbreak. It just sucks to have had so much emotion invested in this character and then to have everything that was awesome about him be systematically removed from the equation. I keep being surprised how much it's eating at me, but it is. Well, all I can do is hope things get better with Jon, but I don't see that happening while Bendis is in charge.
    Last edited by Sam; 07-09-2019 at 05:11 PM.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Incredible Member

Most legacy DC Heroes are late teens/young adults. They can stay that way for decades aging them and the overall universe only a few years at a time. Dick Grayson hasn't been a child since forever, he's been a late teen / young adult for forty years. Nothing may be permanent as you say, but if Teen Jon isn't popular, DC isn't going to walk it back. More likely he joins the dead/erased other Superboys in the next Crisis.

Most legacy DC Heroes are late teens/young adults. They can stay that way for decades aging them and the overall universe only a few years at a time. Dick Grayson hasn't been a child since forever, he's been a late teen / young adult for forty years. Nothing may be permanent as you say, but if Teen Jon isn't popular, DC isn't going to walk it back. More likely he joins the dead/erased other Superboys in the next Crisis.
    Dude, damian was also a kid. He was also supposed to get killed and forgotten about. But that didn't happen. Damian made it. And jon is popular, enough. Teen jon isn't.but, who cares. We want the kid restored. What makes you think dc won't walk it back? Kid jon was in justice league issue. That story was greeted pretty greatly. He is also being featured in DCeased,currently. dc isn't trying to sweep the kid under the rug and push the teen version. That is all bendis's vision.

Jon has pretty good marketability.even though,he is relatively new character. He has great exposure outside comics circle and casual fans. Jon is greeted pretty positively by every one.The only place that hasn't entirely is this site.

If jon also gets erased, then all the more reasons to say superman family sucks.
    But, i don't believe that is going to happen. Bendis basically had to come out and explain himself multiple times because of the backlash. He acknowledged the backlash. He had make changes. I mean, jon suddenly doesn't have the scar(which i liked btw) . I do believe jon will be restored to his old self eventually and not erased.
    Even this watered down version of supersons maxi filler book held on pretty well.

Jon has been the best thing to happen to superman in a long time.before this it was always direction change after direction change, reboot after reboot. Jon being there is resistance to all that. It would be a shame to lose it.
    Superman needs stability and foundation to build a world on.for the first time in years superman has that thanks to jurgens, tomasi and now even bendis. A crisis reboot would only suck whatever life out of superman. So i don't believe they will go for that.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 07-09-2019 at 09:58 PM.

Mighty Member

Not true, you actually can keep the adult characters about the same age and let the young characters become older...
    This worked for many comics....

I have to say that I care about age, especially for TIM,CONNER,CASSIE,BART...
    Its just different if you have a 16 year old character or a 22 year old character, especially when it comes to Meta-Humans or Aliens or Amazons....
    In Cassie,Conner,Barts Cases its a HUGE difference in terms of powers,villains etc.

You can simply write more "mature" stories with bigger Villains etc. and you can involve them in major storylines...

Like it was done with Conner,Bart,Cassie,Tim during the TT...where Conner was one of the few who was able to fight against Superboy Prime..

And its also because the next generation with Jonathan,Damian,Wallace West...is around it makes more sense to let them age to have a clear line and not two teenager teams...

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Not true, you actually can keep the adult characters about the same age and let the young characters become older...
    This worked for many comics....

I have to say that I care about age, especially for TIM,CONNER,CASSIE,BART...
    Its just different if you have a 16 year old character or a 22 year old character, especially when it comes to Meta-Humans or Aliens or Amazons....
    In Cassie,Conner,Barts Cases its a HUGE difference in terms of powers,villains etc.

You can simply write more "mature" stories with bigger Villains etc. and you can involve them in major storylines...

Like it was done with Conner,Bart,Cassie,Tim during the TT...where Conner was one of the few who was able to fight against Superboy Prime..

And its also because the next generation with Jonathan,Damian,Wallace West...is around it makes more sense to let them age to have a clear line and not two teenager teams...
    I am not saying ageing doesn't matter. All i am saying this fear of aging bruce or clark is bullshit . As you said clark and the older generation can stay same age even when their support gets older. Nobody will care. Let generation that needs to be aged get aged. Let the new kids have sometime to breathe and let them stay kids for a while.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

To be honest I'd be happier if they just did away with pinning specific ages on everyone and either went with something more open ended (like Jon is "in his teens") or they simply don't mention ages in connection with the characters at all. Either one of them would keep the older generation from getting "too old" and would allow for the younger ones to "age" as time passes.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Fans? No. Certain heads at DC? Well, look at what's been happening to Dick's generation in the comics as of late. Several killed off in HiC, Wally as the killer (and covered it up), Donna as an alcoholic, and Dick himself is "Ric" and isn't even the main focus in his own book, which has been basically directionless since Dick was shot in the head.
    Did you read the end of HiC? Wally's not a killer.

Donna's not even being used currently.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman