Page 34 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    See this is that double standard stuff, man. It's not explicitly stated in the text that Bruce, Clark, and Lois did anything more than worry. That's all it says in the text, but you're still assuming more may have been done or could have been done by them. But when Clark is literally shown talking to Martian Manhunter about finding other option to get in contact with his wife and son, you assume that's all he did. When Clark is literally shown physically searching frantically for them in space, you assume he didn't do much more. But Alfred makes one off hand comment about his parents just worrying till Alfred apparently just saying "they look fine on this vital monitor I'm looking at, so they must be okay" is enough to satisfy them, and neither Lois, Clark, nor Bruce are even there waiting up worried for them, they get a pass?

Like, dude, this is an honest-to-goodness double standard.

Damian is also a child, powerless in the grand sense, and no more accustom to space/dimensional travel than Jon.

Clark trusting Alfred and Damian is besides the point because Alfred never explicitly stated that he had a way of knowing anything more than that the boys are breathing. Their vitals could've been faked. The way Alfred speaks, it seems as though he didn't even know specifically where they were or what they were doing. It seems like the only thing he knew was that they were breathing.

Apparently he did. After Alfred told him "eh, Jon'll likely be back before school starts" Clark was good with just waiting at home and doing his normal thing. There was never anything stated or shown in the text (to my knowledge) that showed looking for Jon and Damian.

Clark apparently compromised just fine here. He's never even shown looking for Jon. He's good with just going off Alfred's assumptions and only the fact that Jon is breathing.
    It's doble standart. However, it isn't doble standart due to Bendis. It is doble standart, because there were consequences.

If Jon did not have any mishap, then people could take it as a joke (or just ignore Clark and Lois decisions).

However, we end up with Jon grown up. Then, things feel more serious.

Not to mention that people tend to highlight defects of things that displease them.
    Last edited by Konja7; 07-05-2019 at 07:23 AM.

And seemingly no rescue effort is put together. Alfred is simply aware that they're alive, and just assumes they'll be home in time for school? So, yeah, you're right it's super different because in Super Sons it was known that they were in unsupervised danger from the very start. I think there's a pretty real double standard here, but maybe that's just me, I guess.
    Dude you keep shifting the goal post. it goes from they are fine with their kid going off with a 13 year old kid to they make no attempt to rescue them.
    !3 year old hero who will and has willingly given his life to protect other. Who has flung himself into the path of danger to protect Jon, who had Jon's back even when family [Tim] and peers [TT] urged him not to.

Crazy grampa who has recently been acting strange, a kidnapper and straight up questionable character that has no relationship with Jon.

One of those is a bad choice.

I don't see a double standard what I see is twisting the facts to suit one's narrative. This is comics so we accept certain things that we shouldn't as normal. such as Parents letting kids fighting crime and vigilantes.

Parents letting their kid go off with what is a dubious stranger to the kid is bad parenting even for comics.

Mighty Member

Yeah, it's not a double standard. Different kind of comics and different kind of situation and different quality of writing. It's been stated again and again, but it feels like some people want to see things a certain way and ignore any point made that pokes a hole in that.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

See this is that double standard stuff, man. It's not explicitly stated in the text that Bruce, Clark, and Lois did anything more than worry. That's all it says in the text, but you're still assuming more may have been done or could have been done by them. But when Clark is literally shown talking to Martian Manhunter about finding other option to get in contact with his wife and son, you assume that's all he did. When Clark is literally shown physically searching frantically for them in space, you assume he didn't do much more. But Alfred makes one off hand comment about his parents just worrying till Alfred apparently just saying "they look fine on this vital monitor I'm looking at, so they must be okay" is enough to satisfy them, and neither Lois, Clark, nor Bruce are even there waiting up worried for them, they get a pass?

Like, dude, this is an honest-to-goodness double standard.

Damian is also a child, powerless in the grand sense, and no more accustom to space/dimensional travel than Jon.

Clark trusting Alfred and Damian is besides the point because Alfred never explicitly stated that he had a way of knowing anything more than that the boys are breathing. Their vitals could've been faked. The way Alfred speaks, it seems as though he didn't even know specifically where they were or what they were doing. It seems like the only thing he knew was that they were breathing.

Apparently he did. After Alfred told him "eh, Jon'll likely be back before school starts" Clark was good with just waiting at home and doing his normal thing. There was never anything stated or shown in the text (to my knowledge) that showed looking for Jon and Damian.

Clark apparently compromised just fine here. He's never even shown looking for Jon. He's good with just going off Alfred's assumptions and only the fact that Jon is breathing.
    Dude, alfred at this point has more experience in dealing with raising teenage superheroes than jor el or clark could ever have. Ofcourse, clark will trust his call more than acting on his own worries. Faking or rigging it is out of the question when you have the world greatest detective, worlds most powerful man and worlds greatest investigative reporter on it.
    Situation 1(supersons)-kids on summer vacation. They go out and gets kidnapped. Parents don't know whether they are kidnapped or whether did they snuck out like they usually do. But, the parents could track them, their vital signs are monitored and a super belt buckle is given for protection . So, they are perfectly at arms length for parents to reach out, any time. An experienced elder like alfred who has been raising or taking care of Superheroes both powered and non powered tells them to "wait it out and not to worry". The parents decide to do that and trust the kids to handle the situation. But, they are still worried(as they should be) and ready to take action at the moments notice.

Here, kids are at arms lengths (tracable and within reach). Elder tells them to keep calm.they are Still worried. But things are in control. Parents let the kids have their spaces they need(superpowers and all). But are ready to keep tabs on them and pull back at moments notice. Rescue them if needed be.

These Kids are special and have special needs. The parents have no choice but to let them have their space. But, are willing to step in and step back if situation demands It.Always making sure kids are at the arm's length distance. Since parents are superpowered their arm are very very long.
    Perfectly understandable.

Situation 2(superman) - loses the kid. No way to communicate, track or read vitals(reason to panic much lol) . Kid not at arms length.parent First lies to his space cop friend who asks about them. Then asks another friend how to fix or build a communicator without clearing the reason why or telling him about the situation. Decides to go to space(as if space is just the backyard ) to cause ruckas like an idiot george of the jungle.without leaving his earth responsibilites to someone else, i might add. Then decided to give up because of en epiphany, come back and do bloody nothing. Wife leaves the kid in space. Still does nothing.

Here, Kids are not at arms length. Situation not in any control.parent is not ready to take action, still. Decides to take no consultation from elders or friends for any advice or help. A space cop who can easily track his son, asks him about his kid. Decides to lie. A concerned friend meets him regarding the situation. Decides to brush him of(did not fix communicator either). Wife leaves kid with a dubious stranger in space without aforementioned things like tracer, communicator.. Etc. Still does nothing like an idiot and is worried???! (like that matters).
    parent's actions Not understandable at all.

In situation 1 kid is with a trusted friend who will give his life to protect their kid, tracked by another vetren superkid caretaker and father figure. Situation 2 kid is left with a mysterious dubious stranger with a bad past, possibly unstable mental condition by his own mother.

Oh yeah! We have double standards, alright . One is atleast trying super parent stuck in weird situations and the other is an idiot.
    Edit-Damian is a kid who has gone to apocalypse and back.he is the grand son of the demon and a living weapon. He has more blood on his hand than Clark . That is his non kiddish side
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 07-05-2019 at 09:40 PM.

Well, Super Sons went out on a high note, top 5.

RIP Jon.

Who the **** is this!? Where is my son!? Dude looks less and less like Jon with each design update!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post

Who the **** is this!? Where is my son!? Dude looks less and less like Jon with each design update!
    Looks like they finally took the scar out.

Side note anyone else feel like Jon is about to be forced into a romance soon. Like Bendis is really trying to sell this Jon is a teen thing I feel that's the next step. I don't want that this is all wrong. From Crazy grandpa, instant teenager, to trapped in volcano, to future.... The age up was not necessary to get to this point like what the ****. I just don't understand the reason it happened I feel he's not even trying to make it make sense. *sighs* I don't care anymore I already said I'd ride this **** out. Let's see where this is going. *shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Side note anyone else feel like Jon is about to be forced into a romance soon. Like Bendis is really trying to sell this Jon is a teen thing I feel that's the next step. I don't want that this is all wrong. From Crazy grandpa, instant teenager, to trapped in volcano, to future.... The age up was not necessary to get to this point like what the ****. I just don't understand the reason it happened I feel he's not even trying to make it make sense. *sighs* I don't care anymore I already said I'd ride this **** out. Let's see where this is going. *shrugs*
    I stopped caring and following during the Man of Steel mini. Ever since, I've only been following along through here and reviews.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    That would be weird and gross. It will probably happen.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Incredible Member

The new suit makes him look too old. His current was perfect. I wont lie, I like 17 yr old Jon more than 10 yr old. Although I wish he was 14-15

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I think it's the artstyle. The new design is pretty close to Jon's original look and design with superman reborn belt buckle.i like it.

But i hate all those lines though
    Edit-jon has a magic scar. It comes and goes WTF!!!
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 07-08-2019 at 07:42 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I know nothing's been said on it and this is entirely me thinking wishfully, but I'd love for Jon to take Kathy with him to the future. As an alien herself with no real ties to the present day, it'd be fun to have him bring a friend on his adventures to the future and not entirely torpedo his supporting cast in the status quo shift.

Also really hope it's a two-way street regarding his placement in timelines. If he's not just stranded there, but can appear in the present as well, I'd greatly appreciate that.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Won't lie I preferred the other teen Jon design, but it's not too big of a deal. Very excited to see him go on his own adventures and get away from his dad.

I have to say a lot of DC's recent decision have been very very good for my wallet.