Page 7 of 62 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Here's an article on #7 which may put some fears at rest, specifically regarding This new Jon's outlook/personality. I like that he hints at Jon having listened to his parents' teaching and it what sustained him in space whilst developing into his own person. Thank goodness he's not sullen/turning evil at all.

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/books/d...on-of-superboy

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Here's an article on #7 which may put some fears at rest, specifically regarding This new Jon's outlook/personality. I like that he hints at Jon having listened to his parents' teaching and it what sustained him in space whilst developing into his own person. Thank goodness he's not sullen/turning evil at all.

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/books/d...on-of-superboy
    Well, being little sullen would be natural, but should be optimistic . Him being okay with everything is not and him being peachy with loosing his childhood in space with a lunatic in a war is not. Him being able to start from where they left of with the family is definitely not possible or anywhere near good storytelling.
    But i like that bendis called jon "superman" not "superboy" at the end.
    "He kind of shows you what kind of Superman he is"
    So he is superman now.
    Other than that his interview is pretty boring and not worth much. same old same old.

Astonishing Member

I don't think he was peachy being stuck in space this whole time or what would be the point of him working hard to get back home? I'm trying not to over simplify everything I read in these books, considering it's not stellar penmanship and I don't want to give myself an ulcer for reading it wrong.

Jon is a superman much like Kon and others that have come and gone, not that he IS "Superman".

Nah! It would actually be cool to see him as superman secundus or something. With him being space war veteran and all.if he is aged this much and have been experienced things. Superboy just doesn't fit. But hey! That is just me. I always wanted older jon to be kryptonIan flamebird and chris to return as kryptonIan nightwing. Two brother taking on the universe.

Astonishing Member

I have wanted him as Secundus for as long as I can remember. I hope this is where it's leading. I want that particular plot thread tied and Jon fits it almost perfectly.

Not loving that Jon was aged up 7 years. Seems like a lot of missed story potential aging him up THAT much all at once.

On the plus side, I'm glad that he's still on the heroic side...I was afraid he would return either crazy or villainous.

Still, I have to scratch my head on why they would bring him so close to Conner's age.

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    Not loving that Jon was aged up 7 years. Seems like a lot of missed story potential aging him up THAT much all at once.

On the plus side, I'm glad that he's still on the heroic side...I was afraid he would return either crazy or villainous.

Still, I have to scratch my head on why they would bring him so close to Conner's age.
    I feel like they might have done that. If it wasn't for the backlash for the jon superboyprime cover that leaked.from what remember even Bendis's twitter handle got some brunt of it.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I feel like they might have done that. If it wasn't for the backlash for the jon superboyprime cover that leaked.from what remember even Bendis's twitter handle got some brunt of it.
    So, you genuinely think they changed Jon's whole story--a story, mind you planed out months in advance--because people yell at Bendis over a cover that leaked only about two and a half months ago? I'm asking.

You're saying that Bendis had no intention of keeping him a good person till then?
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    So, you genuinely think they changed Jon's whole story--a story, mind you planed out months in advance--because people yell at Bendis over a cover that leaked only about two and a half months ago? I'm asking.
    Depends. Bendis may write the Marvel method when it comes to scripting comics, which usually involves taking on board very recent feedback. Donny Cates did this with Venom just this week addressing a plot hole from a December issue.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Depends. Bendis may write the Marvel method when it comes to scripting comics, which usually involves taking on board very recent feedback. Donny Cates did this with Venom just this week addressing a plot hole from a December issue.
    At best, maybe bendis changed some dialogue to make it easier to understand his intentions, I doubt he changed the entire course of his plans because of fan reactions.

I think these scripts were written well in advance. He commented 1004 was written in February 2018. And he was writing the summer Superman event in October. There's no chance he changed gears because of that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    At best, maybe bendis changed some dialogue to make it easier to understand his intentions, I doubt he changed the entire course of his plans because of fan reactions.
    Yeah, it's little things he addresses (like Barry talking like Wally) but not the overall storylines.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    But he wouldn't just have to change the scripts. Artist would have to change the acting in the scenes too. That means legitimate redraws. Whole stories would have to shift to accommodate the change being suggested. Bendis already shared pages from this comic before as far back as far back as October 10th of last year.

https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/sta...13058398760960

The cover for issue 8 came out in November. And on top of that an artist like Reis needs quite a lot of lead in time to create pages. It would be absurd to change stuff like that in such a situation.

I mean, I don't get it. Jon's not a murderous villain on his way to "Prime time"--in fact he's been nothing but his usual nice self the whole issue he's been back, but we're still on here trying to up an asterisk on that bright spot.

I get it. Aging him up is a hard pill to swallow and it's easy to be upset about what's been lost. But can we not take a second and be happy for what is still there, and what is unambiguously reinforced this issue's accompanying interview? As opposed to tinfoil hatting anything that you may find remotely positive about this.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but I just don't get that. Someone says "on the plus side, I'm glad that he's still on the heroic side...I was afraid he would return either crazy or villainous." and that can't just stand as something to be happy about for at least a moment? I dunno, man.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

You're saying that Bendis had no intention of keeping him a good person till then?
    Hey! It was just a passing thought i had. I didn't think it through. Besides, i don't care either way as long as he is badass, now. If bendis makes him good, he is.otherwise he will be bad. I heard good is the new bad now. So, the reverse might also be true. I mean, It worked for harley quinn didn't it.And also people still idiotically calling for prime time, hoping for the return of the true superboy, Everytime some superman looking dubious thing appears.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-16-2019 at 02:43 PM.

BANNED

I get it. Aging him up is a hard pill to swallow and it's easy to be upset about what's been lost. But can we not take a second and be happy for what is still there, and what is unambiguously reinforced this issue's accompanying interview? As opposed to tinfoil hatting anything that you may find remotely positive about this.
    I'm not the one you have to convince. I'm fine with the changes, I flip-flop a bit on Jon being aged up and Lois' behaviour , but I trust Bendis more than others do. At the same time, having the experience with him as a Marvel fan, I understand their concerns and Bendis is one of those marmite "road paved to hell with good intentions" writers. Sometimes he will execute things sloppily and he should be called to court on that.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 01-16-2019 at 02:39 PM.