Page 18 of 62 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jason white reborn View Post
    He is lying and his changes are explicitly the kind of things that can derail a character in a subtle but permanent way. He kills the Damien jon relationship, he ages him up so that he isn't unique anymore, everything he has done is done specifically to screw jon Kents character over in the long term for years(which effectively makes characters less appealing thus get less screentime, just like daken).
    I think Bendis really wants to write the story about aged-up Jon. Bendis likes to leave his mark on the characters.

It could be a bad decision, but I don't think Bendis is trying to destroy Jon.

Also, I like Jon's personality, not only because he's a child. Jon seems to mantain his personality as a teenager. So, I hope other fans still like the character even as teenager.

Bendis seems to want to keep his relationship with Damian (according to his interviews).

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    I think Bendis really wants to write the story about aged-up Jon. Bendis likes to leave his mark on the characters.

It could be a bad decision, but I don't think Bendis is trying to destroy Jon.

Also, I like Jon's personality, not only because he's a child. Jon seems to mantain his personality as a teenager. So, I hope other fans still like the character even as teenager.

Bendis seems to want to keep his relationship with Damian (according to his interviews).
    Personality, needs to be tweeked. He is not a kid anymore. He is not innocent, naive or cute anymore.copy pasting old personlity on old jon without adding anything new and special is very disappointing and doesn't work. Bendis's jon feels generic now. He is just another dude now. He hasn't shown any great character moment with jon. His characterisation for jon is really underwhelming without any x factor.sometimes really stupid, like his reason for deciding to leave jor el.
    I shouldn't compare, but Bendis's jon feels like a shell of Jurgen's and Tomasi's jon. This purely my subjective opinion.hopefully, that will change in the next issue with jon kent unleashed thing.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-28-2019 at 05:24 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Personality, needs to be tweeked. He is not a kid anymore. He is not innocent, naive or cute anymore.copy pasting old personlity on old jon without adding anything new and special is very disappointing and doesn't work. Bendis's jon feels generic now. He is just another dude now. He hasn't shown any great character moment with jon. His characterisation for jon is really underwhelming without any x factor.sometimes really stupid, like his reason for deciding to leave jor el.
    I shouldn't compare, but Bendis's jon feels like a shell of Jurgen's and Tomasi's jon. This purely my subjective opinion.hopefully, that will change in the next issue with jon kent unleashed thing.
    Well, Jon was still Kid Jon, when he wanted to leave Jor-El.

I guess we will see how Bendis develop Jon in the future. So far, I like the personality in Teen Jon.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I guess we will see how Bendis develop Jon in the future. So far, I like the personality in Teen Jon.
    Precisely my point jon is adventurous, mischievous but cautious. He was never an idiot.jon liked being a goody two shoes kid, even though he had his rebellious side.

Teen Jon's personality, from what I have seen, is copy/paste from kid Jon. Which makes no sense if half of what Bendis has alluded to is true. Which makes it more baffling why people like older Jon, but not kid Jon.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Teen Jon's personality, from what I have seen, is copy/paste from kid Jon. Which makes no sense if half of what Bendis has alluded to is true. Which makes it more baffling why people like older Jon, but not kid Jon.
    In my case, I like Kid Jon and Teen Jon. As you said, his personality in both cases is pretty similar.

So far, we still don't see a lot about Teen Jon.

Incredible Member

I like older jon more than kid jon specifically because who in their right mind would let a 10 year old fight crime(except Batman) and be exposed to the violence? Bringing him up to 17 is a bit overkill when 15/16 would've worked. Plus he's got a much better suit than kid jon had.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcrusade25 View Post
    I like older jon more than kid jon specifically because who in their right mind would let a 10 year old fight crime(except Batman) and be exposed to the violence? Bringing him up to 17 is a bit overkill when 15/16 would've worked. Plus he's got a much better suit than kid jon had.
    People who would let kids fight crime Clark who fought crime as a kid.

The Green Lanterns

The whole justice league who fights side by side with kids without shutting them down. They all let kids fight crime. Batman is the stupid one since he lets power kids with soft bodies fight crime. He lets kids with no connect to crime fighting fight crime without their parents consent.

In comics kids fight crime that's accepted [same as vigilantes as accepted as heroes rather than law breakers. It's one of those accepted rules] what isn't accepted is allowing powerless untrained kids fight crime which is why batman get criticised not any other hero.

Kid John's suit is awesome. The number of people you see in it at cons and just as regular wear is unbelievable. Only the Black tee with the S rivals it for wearability.

Ageing Jon up can be good or bad depending on the writing. What's bone headed is having 2 superboys the same age. Unless they have them serve different roles .
    Jon like Damian is more than a mere sidekick. he is the Son of Superman so DC could have him lean more into that role like they do with Damian at times.
    There are roles and stories only reserved for the son's [or special relationship characters] like the Batman's wedding preludes which included the sons but not Red Robin. The Breaking Bat arc [Damian, Dick, Jason, Selina and Alfred] and every Jason and Bruce storyline.

If Jon leans more into the son role the writers might overcome the flaws in having two superboys of the same age.
    Last edited by Fergus; 02-28-2019 at 12:08 PM.

BANNED

The end of a great series and relationship

Quote Originally Posted by jason white reborn View Post
    The end of a great series and relationship
    Don't think the friendship has to end since Jon being 17 doesn't actual change anything about their relationship aside from less short jokes. If anything Jon's maturity should help them communicate better. Their personalities are still the same so their dynamic should remain the same.

They are both still heroes which is the foundation of their friendship.

Their series isn't ending....Yet. Not sure what will happen after the Maxi and have little faith in the Zoom series. The previews look really bad. My kids who are the target demo and who like the Supersons really disliked that Jon and are yet to form an opinion on Ian since he had no dialogue.

DC cocked up Tomasi's Supersons is what they should have used if the plan was to go gangbusters with attracting kids. That was the right title for that.

Supersons just were introduced into YJ and Weissman confirmed another Time jump and their wish to quickly mature certain characters.

I have faith in Jon and high hopes for Supersons. Like Damian before him. Kid has staying power. Damian survived death, replacement, an overcrowded batverse, banishment from the Batbooks and exile from the batoffice [he is still not back under the batoffice] to become one of DC's most popular characters.

Jon and Supersons are going to be just fine even if he stays aged up.

Quote Originally Posted by MeGrimlock420 View Post
    Loved the Jon/Kathy interactions like this one. They always felt so earnest and sweet, I'm glad Kathy wasn't a full on villain like was originally planned. Her and Jon being friends was a good idea.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Don't think the friendship has to end since Jon being 17 doesn't actual change anything about their relationship aside from less short jokes. If anything Jon's maturity should help them communicate better. Their personalities are still the same so their dynamic should remain the same.

They are both still heroes which is the foundation of their friendship.
    In fact, the difference of age between Jon and Damian is likely the same (3 years).

In Supersons, Jon was 10 and Damian was 13. Now, Jon is 17 and Damian is likely 14 (Jon was 11 at the beginning of his travel with Jor-el).

Astonishing Member

In fact, the difference of age between Jon and Damian is likely the same (3 years).

In Supersons, Jon was 10 and Damian was 13. Now, Jon is 17 and Damian is likely 14 (Jon was 11 at the beginning of his travel with Jor-el).
    Yeah, the roles are no reversed. I'm curious to see their new dynamic.

I do wonder about Kathy though, whether she's now in limbo or if Bendis ever use her.