Page 23 of 62 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

That was not an issue where I felt anyone was acting like a rational human being.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    What the...

Who in the hell calls their son "boy" like that!? Outside of angry, drunk hicks about to beat their kid up? Bendis really sucks at Lois. And not just this issue, it goes back to his first issue with her in it.

I've already explained my disdain for aging Jon up. Many times. But the way he keeps writing Lois, ugh. Sad thing is, I don't think Bendis means to have Lois be so badly out of character every time he writes her.

Bendis sucks in general when it comes to Lois and Clark as parents. Every line of dialogue is just complete cringe (especially Jon calling Clark "Pa"...since when does he do that?). They're fine when they're not trying to be a family but the minute you get them together with Jon, everything just turns into nonsense. From the way they talk to their behavior in general. Bendis' way of adding "drama" to the Super family was to turn Lois and Clark into some of the worst parents I've ever seen!

*takes deep breath*

Okay...calm down...calm down....trying to be more positive since I'm pretty sure all of this bullshit is gonna stick....say something nice....ummm....the art is...pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    That was not an issue where I felt anyone was acting like a rational human being.
    Just this issue?

*another deep breath*

Stop it, Bryce! Be positive!
    Last edited by Blue22; 04-12-2019 at 08:26 PM.

Cover of Supergirl #32

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MeGrimlock420 View Post
    Cover of Supergirl #32

Jon doesn't seem to have his scar anymore.

As the scar was never explained in Supeman #10 (in fact, it seems to suddenly when Jon meets Clark), I wouldn't be surprised if this dissapear soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Jon doesn't seem to have his scar anymore.

As the scar was never explained in Supeman #10 (in fact, it seems to suddenly when Jon meets Clark), I wouldn't be surprised if this dissapear soon.
    It's possible they're getting rid of the scar. But I did notice that the scar is on his right cheek. It's not a good view his right cheek.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Just this issue?

*another deep breath*

Stop it, Bryce! Be positive!
    Not just this issue, but especially this issue.
    Currently Reading:

Incredible Member

It's occurred to me that they may have decided to drop the scar angle, possibly out of the idea that it would make this situation more "acceptable" to people. Sorry, it isn't going to work for me. Getting rid of a physical scar doesn't change the fact this Jon has spent seven years, the practical entirety of his pre-teen/teenage years being tortured by evil versions of his parents. This is unacceptable to me. I'm personally boycotting anything featuring the aged up Jon and the superman books with the aged up Jon as the in continuity staus quo. The only way I'm giving them another chance is if it gets undone and Jon gets deaged.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MeGrimlock420 View Post
    It's possible they're getting rid of the scar. But I did notice that the scar is on his right cheek. It's not a good view his right cheek.
    I know the scar is in his right cheek, but it still should appear a part of the scar in what we see of his face in this Supegirl cover.
    Last edited by Konja7; 04-13-2019 at 06:46 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    It's occurred to me that they may have decided to drop the scar angle, possibly out of the idea that it would make this situation more "acceptable" to people. Sorry, it isn't going to work for me. Getting rid of a physical scar doesn't change the fact this Jon has spent seven years, the practical entirety of his pre-teen/teenage years being tortured by evil versions of his parents. This is unacceptable to me. I'm personally boycotting anything featuring the aged up Jon and the superman books with the aged up Jon as the in continuity staus quo. The only way I'm giving them another chance is if it gets undone and Jon gets deaged.
    I hope that boycot isn't strong.

Knowing DC, that will only cause Jon to end up in the limbo. I would not want that.

I really like Jon, even aged up Jon

Another thing, Jon was a prisoner for years, but it wasn't exactly 7 years. Jon was 11 when he travel with Jor-El, while a time passed between his escape from Ultraman and his "fight" with Superwoman.

Of course, around 5 years is still pretty horrible.

Mighty Member

Another thing, Jon was a prisoner for years, but it wasn't exactly 7 years. Jon was 11 when he travel with Jor-El, while a time passed between his escape from Ultraman and his "fight" with Superwoman.

Of course, around 5 years is still pretty horrible.
    5 years, 7 years, 1 year. It doesn't change the fact that imprisoning Jon for any extended amount of time is a horrible, scarring thing to happen to him that Bendis doesn't seem like he actually wants to think about the consequences of. That's not to say I want a dark and tortured Jon (quite the opposite), but everyone's reaction to Jon's story (including Jon's) just seem so damn inauthentic that it completely takes me out of the story.

What I imagine it comes down to is that Bendis didn't want to write a 10-year-old and so he constructed this incredibly stupid story to justify Jon turning 17 and didn't really think about (or decided to ignore) the actual consequences that story would create.

It's honestly pretty frustrating that Bendis seems so intent on bringing back the classic version of so many characters, but, for whatever reason, he's warping Jon beyond recognition.
    Currently Reading:

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    5 years, 7 years, 1 year. It doesn't change the fact that imprisoning Jon for any extended amount of time is a horrible, scarring thing to happen to him that Bendis doesn't seem like he actually wants to think about the consequences of. That's not to say I want a dark and tortured Jon (quite the opposite), but everyone's reaction to Jon's story (including Jon's) just seem so damn inauthentic that it completely takes me out of the story.

What I imagine it comes down to is that Bendis didn't want to write a 10-year-old and so he constructed this incredibly stupid story to justify Jon turning 17 and didn't really think about (or decided to ignore) the actual consequences that story would create.

It's honestly pretty frustrating that Bendis seems so intent on bringing back the classic version of so many characters, but, for whatever reason, he's warping Jon beyond recognition.
    Conner has a wife and daughter and, according to solicitations, Tim as Robin will last only until Young Justice #7. So, I don't think Bendis is really returning the classic versions.

I agree that I suspect Bendis used this story only to make Jon a 17 years old (I hear many writers don't want to write about kid characters). He just ignore the consequences of the torture Jon suffered.

I don't think current Jon is unrecognizable. Jon isn't a kid anymore, but his personality seems pretty similar. I like Jon due to his personaliry, so I'm happy about this.

BANNED

Jon isn't a kid anymore
    Physically he isn't.

Mentally is an entirely different story.

We really can't be entirely certain of that until he tries to settle back down into normal life. I think Jon remains very much a child in an adult's body (look at how enthusiastic he is at hanging out with Damien, essentially now a kid brother to him). Bendis could well be trying to give modern families something to relate to if they have someone that has special needs and ranges from a late teen to even older.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Physically he isn't.

Mentally is an entirely different story.

We really can't be entirely certain of that until he tries to settle back down into normal life. I think Jon remains very much a child in an adult's body (look at how enthusiastic he is at hanging out with Damien, essentially now a kid brother to him). Bendis could well be trying to give modern families something to relate to if they have someone that has special needs and ranges from a late teen to even older.
    I don't think Bendis is going in that direction.

I think Bendis just try to show Jon as someone youthful and optimistic, but this doesn't mean someone with special needs.

Jon is 17, while Damian is 14. There isn't a big difference of age between them. And it isn't weird Jon wants to connect with people again.

Not to mention that I don't think we will see the Kent family together very often. Bendis will probably take advantage of this to make Jon more independent.
    Last edited by Konja7; 04-13-2019 at 08:45 AM.

Astonishing Member

However it (disappointingly) happened, Jon has lived all of those years and has grown and not just physically. For a period when he was still a child, we first saw him question whether he could live up to his father's legacy and he was put through the most grueling test any child could ever face and basically passed. We can only be grateful he hasn't lost his positive outlook despite being imprisoned for years and being trapped in a hopeless world. When he saw his grandpa come for him, he showed genuine joy and exuberance that finally things were turning for the good. I do not get a child trapped in a man's body when I read him. He may be seventeen but that doesn't mean he's fully cooked as a grown adult, there's still a little further to go but now he's back home and whatever comes next he faces it with his dad by his side.