Page 39 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    That why I said "a lot" (not all).

I think teen Jon was still goofy in Supergirl.

The problem with Jon in Superman is that he is pretty relegated in this story. I mean kid Jon would be similar if he has the same role teen Jon has in this story.
    Not really, he was more quippy like many other teen characters in that not goofy.how do i put it?Goofy is like you have oh! Shucks or ohlshit kind of moments. Barry allen should be goofy. Wally west should be quippy.in regard to humour
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 07-26-2019 at 06:11 AM.

Mighty Member

I am not exactly understand the "blander" part about teen Jon.

I mean Jon has been pretty relegated in the story of Bendis, so we can't see a lot about his personality. However, his personality doesn't seem so different from kid Jon.
    Kid Jon reacted to things in relatable ways. Teen Jon gets trapped in volcano for five years and comes out saying it was no big deal. If a character is reacting to events around them in ways that sacrifice character for story, then they are likely going to come off as bland, because they feel like a story tool, not a person. Jon feels the way Bendis needs him to feel. Not the way that makes sense for a person.

And Bendis has had over six issues of Jon at this point. Four issues focused pretty much on Jon. We should have seen more of his personality by this point, but it doesn't feel like Bendis himself really knows what Jon is about.

PS: Bendis may sped things up, but situations (and writing) in Jon's life were going to change sooner or later, since comics change writers all the time.
    So? We can't be annoyed about it because some other writer might have done an equally bad job?

I think teen Jon was still goofy in Supergirl.
    Jon's goofiness in Supergirl was written like standard teenager goofiness. Him making sex jokes didn't feel natural, considering Jon's story in Superman. Writing Jon as a normal 17-year-old kid doesn't work when he spent the last several years trapped and isolated in a volcano.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    So? We can't be annoyed about it because some other writer might have done an equally bad job?
    You can be annoyed. I wasn't trying to say you can't.

I am not defending Bendis in this comment. I don't even think he has done a good job of showing Jon so far.

I just want to mention that the everyday aspects in Jon's life would not last. So, we would need to handle this situation sooner or later.

I am not defending Bendis in this comment. I don't even think he has done a good job of showing Jon so far.

I just want to mention that the everyday aspects in Jon's life would not last. So, we would need to handle this situation sooner or later.
    Why not? Clark's lasted this long. Jon is his son. He is supposed to have everyday aspect.he wasn't product of some unholy experiment.

Mighty Member

Sorry, my comment came off a bit more offended than I meant it to. But yeah, even if the everyday aspects in Jon's life wouldn't last (and given DC's track record, I definitely agree they wouldn't), I still hope they'd last for longer and I'm still going to hate it when a writer does the character wrong. And Bendis absolutely does.
    Currently Reading:

Astonishing Member

Sorry, my comment came off a bit more offended than I meant it to. But yeah, even if the everyday aspects in Jon's life wouldn't last (and given DC's track record, I definitely agree they wouldn't), I still hope they'd last for longer and I'm still going to hate it when a writer does the character wrong. And Bendis absolutely does.
    I understand.

Don't misunderstand me, I am not happy about the way Bendis has handle Jon so far.

I like teen Jon, but we don't see much about him by Bendis. Even when the story was about him, I feel Bendis focus more on Jor-El or Ultraman.

Although I'm interested about Jon in the Legion, I'm worried about the big number of characters.
    Last edited by Konja7; 07-26-2019 at 07:33 AM.

Mighty Member

I understand.

Don't misunderstand me, I am not happy about the way Bendis has handle Jon so far.

I like teen Jon, but we don't see much about him by Bendis. Even when the story was about him, I feel Bendis focus more on Jor-El or Ultraman.

Although I'm interested about Jon in the Legion, I'm worried about the big number of characters.
    Oh no, I definitely get you, just explaining my own feelings too. Personally, I need to see something to like about Teen Jon before I can actually like him. Right now, he's just hollow.
    Currently Reading:

Oh no, I definitely get you, just explaining my own feelings too. Personally, I need to see something to like about Teen Jon before I can actually like him. Right now, he's just hollow.
    For me the problem is that I dislike the concept of speed-aging the kids (which he wasn't, technically, but kinda was functionally from a reader perspective) and losing Jon's childhood so much, it's going to take something pretty impressive to get me over that hump and liking teen!Jon (since he can't be the same as he was at 11 and not be ridiculous given the passage of time). That the same thing happened with a previous kid of Lois and Clark's only makes it worse. Add in that I do not like the Jor-El evil storyline (so many parents - alive and evil now), and that don't much care for Bendis' characterization of Clark and hate his characterization of Lois, and I'm not interested in reading to be exposed to teen!Jon the extent that I'd have to be to give him a chance, despite some interesting plot elements. For me, he was the straw that broke the camel's back, and I'm not longer regularly reading the Superman titles (have read one or maybe two since then), and mostly just keep up with what's going on by reading here.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    "Cocky" was probably a poor choice of words. But yeah, there's a sort of stick-up-his-butt feel where he's the only one really standing at attention trying to look like he's about to be on a box of cereal while nearly everyone else is looking relaxed and casual. He's trying too hard. I really think him standing photo-ready with Dream Girl literally draped over him gives him almost this "popular kid" feel. I legitimately can't read it any other way.
    I'm just trying to connect it back to my own understanding of Mon-El .
    I think there are gonna be a fair amount of personality overhauls big or small since this is a reboot, and it's all fair game.
    I mean, it's Bendis and he's doing an "Ultimate" take on the Legion, so that's probably a given. Doesn't mean I have to like it though.
    I really think some sort of legitimate rivalry between Jon and Mon might be interesting. Even if it comes to pass, I can only image that it would be so it can lead to Jon and Mon as friends.
    There are other Legionnaires I could more readily buy into a rivalry with Jon then Mon-El.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    For me the problem is that I dislike the concept of speed-aging the kids (which he wasn't, technically, but kinda was functionally from a reader perspective) and losing Jon's childhood so much, it's going to take something pretty impressive to get me over that hump and liking teen!Jon (since he can't be the same as he was at 11 and not be ridiculous given the passage of time). That the same thing happened with a previous kid of Lois and Clark's only makes it worse. Add in that I do not like the Jor-El evil storyline (so many parents - alive and evil now), and that don't much care for Bendis' characterization of Clark and hate his characterization of Lois, and I'm not interested in reading to be exposed to teen!Jon the extent that I'd have to be to give him a chance, despite some interesting plot elements. For me, he was the straw that broke the camel's back, and I'm not longer regularly reading the Superman titles (have read one or maybe two since then), and mostly just keep up with what's going on by reading here.
    Oh, I absolutely agree with the hatred of speed-aging kids. It's lazy writing and it has never worked well. And to do it with a kid who just perfect captured the age like Jon did. That just sucks.
    Currently Reading:

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Higher resolution image of Jon in the group shot with the Legion

I noticed that Mon-El's suit actually looks quite a bit like Jon's new upcoming new Legion suit.

The line work around the chest and torso is similar, and the neck and shoulders are similar. But they have distinct differences like Mon's sleeves being baggy, his cape being segmented into three sections, and longer wrist attachments. Jon also obviously has the S shield (newly stylized though).

So, I have to wonder if it's like a 32nd century Daximite/kryptonian fabric? It would make sense since Mon's suit would take similar punishment to Jon due to the nature of their powers. Hopefully Jon keeps his teleporter. I think that'll be a great way to go back and forth between the future and present if someone like Brainy upgrades it.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I hope they don't go through with the stupid lines. Man! I wish his hair wasn't this clean and so is his outfit.Got to say none of these are impressive. It all looks like standard New52 costumes, which i didn't like. As for the material, it doesn't matter. Jon used to wear a jeans, shoes, a jacket that his mom made and his dad's cape stitched into the outfit. It's not like his clothes will give him anything extra. That s shield is not for me as well. Hey! Atleast they are taking some cues from the old design( like overall design and colour scheme) in the new one.And i like the reborn belt buckle.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Jon used to wear a jeans, shoes, a jacket that his mom made and his dad's cape stitched into the outfit.
    Pretty sure his mom bought his jacket from a secondhand store in Hamilton, and the cape wasn't his dad's but rather Krypto's. Krypto actually has Clark's old cape from his first suit. Jon gave it to him for Christmas. You'd think such a big Jon Kent fan would know this stuff......

I'm only teasing

It's not like his clothes will give him anything extra.
    That's not actually true. Jon's current suit gives him the ability to teleport around the galaxy. The upgraded/new suit might allow him to time travel between the present and the future.

Such an advancement even has precedent in earlier continuity. Before the New 52 Clark would see the Legion by pushing a button on his flight ring, and before that Superboy would time travel under his own will. The common thread is that they usually allow the Superboy in question some from of getting back and forth from the future on their own.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 07-27-2019 at 11:51 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Pretty sure his mom bought his jacket from a secondhand store in Hamilton, and the cape wasn't his dad's but rather Krypto's. Krypto actually has Clark's old cape from his first suit. Jon gave it to him for Christmas. You'd think such a big Jon Kent fan would know this stuff......

I'm only teasing

That's not actually true. Jon's current suit gives him the ability to teleport around the galaxy. The upgraded/new suit might allow him to time travel between the present and the future.

Such an advancement even has precedent in earlier continuity. Before the New 52 Clark would see the Legion by pushing a button on his flight ring, and before that Superboy would time travel under his own will. The common thread is that they usually allow the Superboy in question some from of getting back and forth from the future on their own.
    I pretty sure s symbol was. Lois's touch. Maybe i am wrong. That's why i said lois made it. Lois also stitched the cape. Yeah! I forgot about the krypto thing.
    And i was talking about the durability of the materials. It wouldn't matter if it daximite or kryptonIan. The armour thing is boring for me. These guys aren't warriors (well, jon likes ninja's). So, armour design is a letdown for me. They can do better.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I pretty sure s symbol was. Lois's touch. Maybe i am wrong.
    You are indeed wrong. She simply bought the shirt at a secondhand store.

Lois also stitched the cape.
    Nope, also wrong. Jon used his heat vision and stitched it himself just before he went to help his dad fight Eradicator. All Lois did was pay for it and give it to Jon. You've lost this round of trivia. Admit defeat

And i was talking about the durability of the materials. It wouldn't matter if it daximite or kryptonIan. The armour thing is boring for me. These guys aren't warriors (well, jon likes ninja's). So, armour design is a letdown for me. They can do better.
    Well, it could be indestructible like silver age kryptonian fabrics, so the suits can survive all the things that stunts that Kryptonians and Daximites pull with their bodies? And I don't really think it looks like armor. Looks more like stylized athletic wear. It even has little ridged parts. Jon's current suit is actually closer to armor, and looks to be far more restrictive than he and Mon-El's Legion suits.