Page 43 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    All hail the greatest hero of all time, the great unifier, defender of peace- jon kent lol.
    Attachment 85952
    If i had my way i wouldn't have done that. Jon had something special going on. One way would have been to age him gradually without making him someone special. Perhaps let him be a part of Teen Titans. In my mind the daughter would have been the high achiever. And Jon the more laidback kid. You don't need to be 'great' to be interesting.

I know you are completely against this, but think i have found something positive. DC has plans for Jon. He isn't going away very soon. Earlier, i was worried that they would remove Jon sooner or later by way of some reboot. Jon's existence also makes it harder for the removal of the marriage.

But now come any reboot you can easily keep Jon in the Legion. The aging up is a way of getting around having Superman look very old which DC wouldn't like. Now all they have to do is put out more content of a younger Jon while Bendis and others do their thing in the Legion. I would very much like to see Jon's time in space. Put out a maxi-series showing Jon's 'Hero's journey' as Superlad put it. And there is no need to put down Super Sons. Those adventures happened in the near past before Jon left with Jor-El.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 08-24-2019 at 03:29 AM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post

Miss the kid version
    Wow! That looks cool. doc shaner's superman family is so wholesome. Too bad we will never get to see the kid drawn like this. Why did they change his costume to new ones which doesn't look as good?
    tumblr_op4zv56trc1vsskleo1_1280.jpg

What has happened to Super Sons? Is it still going on? After all this Bendis thing i did not feel that picking that series was urgent. Maybe i would catch them up in trades. Don't tell me there is no other Super Sons, and the only way i can read read Jon is Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    If i had my way i wouldn't have done that. Jon had something special going on. One way would have been to age him gradually without making him someone special. Perhaps let him be a part of Teen Titans. In my mind the daughter would have been the high achiever. And Jon the more laidback kid. You don't need to be 'great' to be interesting.

I know you are completely against this, but think i have found something positive. DC has plans for Jon. He isn't going away very soon. Earlier, i was worried that they would remove Jon sooner or later by way of some reboot. Jon's existence also makes it harder for the removal of the marriage.

But now come any reboot you can easily keep Jon in the Legion. The aging up is a way of getting around having Superman look very old which DC wouldn't like. Now all they have to do is put out more content of a younger Jon while Bendis and others do their thing in the Legion. I would very much like to see Jon's time in space. Put out a maxi-series showing Jon's 'Hero's journey' as Superlad put it. And there is no need to put down Super Sons. Those adventures happened in the near past before Jon left with Jor-El.
    Nope! I had a blast with last issue preview. The great and powerful superman got snubbed by his former childhood friends for his kid. Not only that it is freaking funny that jon is the most important historical figure in dc that stood the test of time in universe. I mean, even trinity comes only next to jon kent in second place in importance . It is the most hilarious thing i have read in a while.
    All hail! The great jon kent-the inspiration for the legion, the creator of united planets. Now, all that is left for jon to say "kryptonian power, let me at em" And clark to hold him back.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-24-2019 at 04:05 AM.

What has happened to Super Sons? Is it still going on? After all this Bendis thing i did not feel that picking that series was urgent. Maybe i would catch them up in trades. Don't tell me there is no other Super Sons, and the only way i can read read Jon is Legion.
    It is done.the maxi series finished. The sales were not that great. Other than the reunion issue i don't think they are coming back. Ofcourse that could change if management directions change yet again.

Mighty Member

Why is DC so concerned about their man 2 of the Trinity looking "old"? It's so stupid. I have never once thought that Clark looked old next to Connor and Jon next to Clark. Where did this thing start of characters looking old?

Nope! I had a blast with last issue preview. The great and powerful superman got snubbed by his former childhood friends for his kid. Not only that it is freaking funny that jon is the most important historical figure in dc that stood the test of time in universe. I mean, even trinity comes only next to jon kent in second place in importance . It is the most hilarious thing i have read in a while.
    All hail! The great jon kent-the inspiration for the legion, the creator of united planets. Now, all that is left for jon to say "kryptonian power, let me at em" And clark to hold him back.
    A key out of this mess could be that it was a preview. I can't see how simply by giving an idea, which apparently Superman makes a reality makes the Legion say that Jon created UP. And since Jon is going to stay in the future, he isn't going to form the UP. That stuff will happen in the Superman books. Hopefully. Bendis can't be that stupid.

I think Legion tried to overplay the role of Jon for some reason. If not, then that 'Scrappy Doo' comparison would be apt.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Why is DC so concerned about their man 2 of the Trinity looking "old"? It's so stupid. I have never once thought that Clark looked old next to Connor and Jon next to Clark. Where did this thing start of characters looking old?
    Beats me!!wierd way to solve it too. Now he has a 17 year old kid. Clark would look like he is pushing 40's or 50's

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    If you see Superman in terms of 'branding' a 17 year old kid does make him appear older to a prospective reader. With Conner its easily managed. He's a clone. But Jon is his biological son. 10 year old kid is somewhat manageable. But 17 year old means he's definitely over 40.

Now that may not bother us. Or even someone who is reading Superman stuff already. But if you are trying to market to a younger reader/viewer, from the point of view of a corporate who wants to push the brand, this thing does not appear nonsensical to me.

Beats me!!wierd way to solve it too. Now he has a 17 year old kid. Clark would look like he is pushing 40's or 50's
    I don't know. Maybe that's why they did this timeskip, a part of Jon's backstory. That way they wouldn't have to worry about a 40-50 year old Supes. They liked Jon to be a part of Legion. And that's their idea.

A key out of this mess could be that it was a preview. I can't see how simply by giving an idea, which apparently Superman makes a reality makes the Legion say that Jon created UP. And since Jon is going to stay in the future, he isn't going to form the UP. That stuff will happen in the Superman books. Hopefully. Bendis can't be that stupid.

I think Legion tried to overplay the role of Jon for some reason. If not, then that 'Scrappy Doo' comparison would be apt.
    They were saying that this is like jack kirby-stan lee thing. Which is worse actually. Clark will do all the work and will get no reward in return. He would not be recognised for his deeds and all the credits will go to jon. Jon will be seen as Mascot for the legion and united planets just like stan lee is seen as the Mascot for Marvel.
    Btw! Kirby's ideas and drawing are just bonkers. I love how his characters are an extension of him. We can see some part of kirby in many of his characters.
    All hail the king!
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-24-2019 at 04:58 AM.

They were saying that this is like jack kirby-stan lee thing. Which is worse actually. Clark will do all the work and will get no reward in return. He would not be recognised for his deeds and all the credits will go to jon. Jon will be seen as Mascot for the legion and united planets just like stan lee is seen as the Mascot for Marvel.
    Btw! Kirby's ideas and drawing are just bonkers. I love how his characters are an extension of him. We can see some part of kirby in many of his characters.
    All hail the king!
    This Stan Lee-Jack Kirby example has been cited a number of times. And that makes me think even more that the Legion were overplaying Jon's role.

I don't think Kirby was doing everything and Stan Lee was taking all the glory. Such a working relationship can't work for a long period of time. I am sure Stan Lee did a lot of work. But the genius among the two was Kirby. Stan Lee however was an excellent marketing guy. Which Kirby was not. And Kirby did not live long enough to make cameos.

So, for that to happen there has to be a lot of marketing for Jon. Maybe a lot of false marketing. Earth in 31st Century shall give credit to Superman if he did the work. And this work is not like sitting inside a room and toiling away in silence. Its out in the open. Across the galaxy. Earth president. These things can't be swept under the rug.

This Stan Lee-Jack Kirby example has been cited a number of times. And that makes me think even more that the Legion were overplaying Jon's role.

I don't think Kirby was doing everything and Stan Lee was taking all the glory. Such a working relationship can't work for a long period of time. I am sure Stan Lee did a lot of work. But the genius among the two was Kirby. Stan Lee however was an excellent marketing guy. Which Kirby was not. And Kirby did not live long enough to make cameos.

So, for that to happen there has to be a lot of marketing for Jon. Maybe a lot of false marketing. Earth in 31st Century shall give credit to Superman if he did the work. And this work is not like sitting inside a room and toiling away in silence. Its out in the open. Across the galaxy. Earth president. These things can't be swept under the rug.
    It doesn't matter does it. I don't think kirby gets enough credit. Same goes for clark.

Mighty Member

If you see Superman in terms of 'branding' a 17 year old kid does make him appear older to a prospective reader. With Conner its easily managed. He's a clone. But Jon is his biological son. 10 year old kid is somewhat manageable. But 17 year old means he's definitely over 40.

Now that may not bother us. Or even someone who is reading Superman stuff already. But if you are trying to market to a younger reader/viewer, from the point of view of a corporate who wants to push the brand, this thing does not appear nonsensical to me.
    That's the problem. The corporate is treating Superman as a brand to sell T-Shirts toys tv shoes movies, when loyal comic readers don't look at him as a brand. They want what works for him as a CHARACTER. Corporate gets skittish about an "old" Superman which...if the dunderhead executives looked at their comic history, we had Earth 2 grey-haired Superman in Crisis On Infinite Earths.