Page 9 of 62 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

As I said in the other thread, my main issue is that this has been tried with Chris and it fell flat because we as readers did not get to see the character grow, and, unlike Damian, the Robin's, Kon, and the TT or YJ crew where they took the time to nurture friendships and allowed them to be kids, Jon being aged up means we do not have that same connection.

Its because we grew up with TT or YJ that we can connect to them. Taking that from Jon is one of the worst moves they can make.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    my main issue is that this has been tried with Chris and it fell flat because we as readers did not get to see the character grow.
    I think that's an over simplification of the very real issues and neglect with the Chris character by DC at the time in comparison with Jon since his creation.

Chris was such a non factor in the Superman books even while he was a kid. Like, Chris got zero marking behind him when he was in the books as a child. He had no superhero name, didn't fight crime, go on adventures, and he didn't really make any relationships with characters outside of his family in the Superman books. Hell, people didn't even mention him in books outside of Superman. And when he did age the whole issue was pretty firmly glossed over before he fell into limbo.

But Jon? DC put Conner Kent on ice specifically to market Jon as Superboy. His development took up the lion's share of nearly over half a 2 and a half year run on a popular Superman run. The whole event in the Superman books were centered around essentially working him into continuity. He was given a book with DC's most successful child/teen character of the last decade. That same book was given a maxi even after it ended. The concept for the book is also being used in another imprint (DC Zoom). He's shown up line wide events, is acknowledged or just straight up appears in multiple books outside of Superman (King's Batman, Teen Titans, and Justice League). He's in a at least two video games. And now a big name writer is having him drive story in the main Superman books. Plus, it's been confirmed and stress upon that his aging won't be something glossed over, but rather a driving point for character development and story.

Jon and Chris have purely superficial similarities in the regards of being sons of Superman who aged. But beyond that there's no remote comparison. I can see why it's natural to make one, but I feel putting in some context might do something to ease some minds.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I don't think kon was put on ice for jon, specifically . Sure, having jon gave them a superboy. I think they wanted get rid of the stench of New 52 titans. And on top of that i believe they were waiting for synergy, young justice and On top of the plans for doing death of superman.They were just waiting for the iron to get red hot to strike it.And it worked. Kon is widely embraced in every media he is in. It is going have an effect on the sales of his book as well. Even if marginally.
    But yeah! Jon has been in many things. Still, if Wally is getting this treatment. And was axed at beginning of new52. Then i feel, they won't think twice before getting rid of jon.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-18-2019 at 12:47 AM.

Astonishing Member

I think Jon is a lot harder to get rid of because he is so popular compared to Chris. If they truly want to get rid of him, I'm sure they wont hesitate but I don't see them doing that. Aging him up isn't the deathknel that people are assuming it is. If it absolutely fails they'll simply reset him back to the pre-teen we know. whatever comparisons exist between Chris and Jon, they are superficial at the most because of the effort, however, slight, they put into making Jon a viable character beyond Superman books compared to his predecessor.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I don't think kon was put on ice for jon.
    In no uncertain terms, Bendis literally confirmed this in an interview for Wonder Comics. I didn't just make it off via assumptions.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

The other thing i am worried about is making "Clark young hip bachelor or close to it " or "clois young just started dating couple or just married couple" mentality among the creatives.if that is going to be deciding factor, after if this fails then Jon will be erased.
    I mean, They do have superboy that does not age clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    In no uncertain terms, Bendis literally confirmed this in an interview for Wonder Comics. I didn't just make it off via assumptions.
    I am sure it had something to do with it. But don't that that is all the reasons for it.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I am sure it had something to do with it. But don't that that is all the reasons for it.
    Regardless, it was a specific reason, thus indicating the characters level of importance. That's my point. No such luck for Chris by any stretch of the imagination. The comparison is superficial.

BANNED

Spoilers for Young Justice: Outsiders episodes 7-9 (relevant bits at 0:36)

spoilers:
    Jon is confirm nice to see more Superman families
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

It certainly makes me happy.

Kon93

**** spoiler tags
    Baby jon,hell baby justice league unlimited confirmed.
    Today is the day.

Which was awesome,it happened in the same day as SB getting stepped on again...literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Kon93 View Post
    **** spoiler tags
    Baby jon,hell baby justice league unlimited confirmed.
    Today is the day.

Which was awesome,it happened in the same day as SB getting stepped on again...literally.
    I wouldn't mind seeing a show with Jon and Damian on the Teen Titans. Conner and Tim/Dick on JL.

Kon93

Quote Originally Posted by MeGrimlock420 View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing a show with Jon and Damian on the Teen Titans. Conner and Tim/Dick on JL.
    I wouldn't either,I just know to they will go the **** way and time skip us to death to get it,instead of setting it apart for its own thing,where everyone is still outside the senior citizen home

Quote Originally Posted by Kon93 View Post
    I wouldn't either,I just know to they will go the **** way and time skip us to death to get it,instead of setting it apart for its own thing,where everyone is still outside the senior citizen home
    I was thinking keep Young Justice going. Create another YJ show where it has Jon and Damian in it.