Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurk View Post
    You mean like in the way of story telling but with the western art (i.e. Jim Lee
    yep still western art just s comics line for young adults staring young adult characters with a bigger focus on action, adventure and yes fan service.

Get some of that growing manga/anime demographics and power girl is perfect for that. Guys just go on YouTube and watch a one punch man amv but imagine its power girl instead of maitama. Epic

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Its nice to see her get some exposure and considering her very early background and that they both are Kara Zor (E)L and even have a synced heartbeat I get why shes there but yet it feels completely out of place to see her midst in a pile of Supergirls ranking.

Or as she would say: https://vimeo.com/124725110
    Last edited by The_Lurk; 11-25-2019 at 02:00 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurk View Post
    Its nice to see her get some exposure and considering her very early background and that they both are Kara Zor (E)L and even have a synced heartbeat I get why shes there but yet it feels completely out of place to see her midst in a pile of Supergirls ranking.

Or as she would say: https://vimeo.com/124725110
    I guess they figured that since she literally IS a version of SG, she belongs. That said, however, she was created partly to put a younger character into the JSA, but partly also to give a fresher, less...well, there's no other way to put it, bland version of SG, to address that character's perceived shortcomings.

Power Girl and Captain Atom - A Night out

https://www.deviantart.com/adamantis...-out-671571757

Power Girl by Laura Braga

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

She draws a really good Karen .

LOVE Laura Braga's PG!

Awesome

very nice
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Laura Braga should absolutely be in the shortlist for artists should PG ever get a book again. Wow!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Laura Braga should absolutely be in the shortlist for artists should PG ever get a book again. Wow!
    Quite good indeed. But there's also Stepan...er, however you spell his name, (sorry, I just can't spell), whoever did the cover for Power Girl #27, AH! for covers, Ema..., that lady who does that very fine art for DC, um...any Benes, though I'd like to see others try, Ed has drawn her before. Connor of course is famous for her use of the character among other things.

So...question here, who would people like on both art and writing should there ever be another PG solo? And what would your favorite hook for her be, keeping in mind that DC and WB seemingly have problems with her being just an alternate universe version of SG? In other words, what would her niche in DC be, what does she offer or do that no one else in DC does.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Quite good indeed. But there's also Stepan...er, however you spell his name, (sorry, I just can't spell), whoever did the cover for Power Girl #27, AH! for covers, Ema..., that lady who does that very fine art for DC, um...any Benes, though I'd like to see others try, Ed has drawn her before. Connor of course is famous for her use of the character among other things.

So...question here, who would people like on both art and writing should there ever be another PG solo? And what would your favorite hook for her be, keeping in mind that DC and WB seemingly have problems with her being just an alternate universe version of SG? In other words, what would her niche in DC be, what does she offer or do that no one else in DC does.
    Despite knowing Harley would show up and sour the run slightly, Jimmy and Amanda are always welcome back to writing Karen. Else, I think Fraction, Gail Simone, Jeff Parker or Amy Chu could get the right mix of fun and superhero faire for PG. On art, if not Amanda, I would say Emanuela Lupacchino, Laura Braga or (and I say this for everyone) Evan "Doc" Shaner are my three picks.

Her hook it that she's someone who but only lost a world like Clark and Kara, but then found a place in Earth 2 and lost that too, she's the last daughter of both a doomed world and universe, and while it can be hard to meet everyone for the first time again, she absolutely does so with an upbeat, confident mindset. She misses everything she lost but she still goes out, makes new connections and never compromises who she is or what she's about.

She is a key member of the JSA being the big sister to the new kids and an all-around fun character with a healthy mix of sass and seriousness. I think that's already plenty to work. She's pretty fleshed out and well-connected, so you could also angle the book around her also mentoring a new up and comer (Atlee or Tanya) while mixing solo adventures and other team-ups.
    Last edited by Robanker; 12-04-2019 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Despite knowing Harley would show up and sour the run slightly, Jimmy and Amanda are always welcome back to writing Karen. Else, I think Fraction, Gail Simone, Jeff Parker or Amy Chu could get the right mix of fun and superhero faire for PG. On art, if not Amanda, I would say Emanuela Lupacchino, Laura Braga or (and I say this for everyone) Evan "Doc" Shaner are my three picks.
    Agreed on everything here. I'd also add Al Ewing to the mix, because that dude has proven he can write anything.

As for her niche.....her last solo made PG the book to read for fun, Silver Age-y adventures. DC doesn't do wild and crazy stuff like that very much. I mean, what do we have now that fits the bill? Jimmy Olsen.....and.....um.....we could maybe add The Terrifics if they weren't so serious, and.......yeah. So that's Karen's niche; she's the fun Silver Age throwback who has adventures about Vartox's Pregno-Ray and fights giant bank-robbing robots.

In-universe, I don't think Karen needs a unique niche (like super-spy, best detective, strongest there is, etc) unless you're trying to build her into a A-list property. But if you wanted something unique for her to do, why not have her become co-owner of the Power Company? Josiah Power is too great a character to leave in limbo and I don't suggest Karen replace him, but there isn't much in the way of corporate heroics at DC so that'd give Karen something to do that no one else is. Plus.....Power Girl co-owning the Power Company is just kinda stupid obvious, right?
    Last edited by Ascended; 12-04-2019 at 11:02 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Agreed on everything here. I'd also add Al Ewing to the mix, because that dude has proven he can write anything.

As for her niche.....her last solo made PG the book to read for fun, Silver Age-y adventures. DC doesn't do wild and crazy stuff like that very much. I mean, what do we have now that fits the bill? Jimmy Olsen.....and.....um.....we could maybe add The Terrifics if they weren't so serious, and.......yeah. So that's Karen's niche; she's the fun Silver Age throwback who has adventures about Vartox's Pregno-Ray and fights giant bank-robbing robots.

In-universe, I don't think Karen needs a unique niche (like super-spy, best detective, strongest there is, etc) unless you're trying to build her into a A-list property. But if you wanted something unique for her to do, why not have her become co-owner of the Power Company? Josiah Power is too great a character to leave in limbo and I don't suggest Karen replace him, but there isn't much in the way of corporate heroics at DC so that'd give Karen something to do that no one else is. Plus.....Power Girl co-owning the Power Company is just kinda stupid obvious, right?
    The funny thing is, Silver Age stuff is sort of what Palmiotti and Gray's original pitch was, an almost X-Files but much lighter in tone adventure piece, stuff like time travelling Neanderthals looking for mystic sheet music or something is all I can sort of halfway recall their pitch on a rival site in an interview a year or so before they started the solo. That pitch must not have succeeded, since they went in a different direction.

What I was sort of asking though was along those lines, what about PG would make her different from SG to a casual fan apart from the visuals, and why would someone living in the DCU want her in some cases over any other hero trying to rescue them. Basically what role does she play that is unique.

Since I feel I'm not explaining my question that well, an example. I gather that DC seems to be setting up Wonder Woman as their premiere mystical hero, the one you want when you suspect a mystical threat. Sure, I may argue Dr. Fate, Constantine, Zatanna, Billy Batson...maybe, but from what I understand, they're putting Diana in that position. So my basic question then is what do you guys see as the role Kara plays, as distinct to just another flying tank? Does she have special skills that make her different? Special powers? Is there a particular type of adventure she has normally that is different from say Superman or Wonder Woman or Supergirl?
    Last edited by achilles; 12-04-2019 at 11:55 AM.