Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurk View Post
    See the sad (but surprisingly high quality) attempt to make a Wonder Woman vs. Wolverine fight look like they are fighting on equal ground. When you have these type of fan favorite fights the powers will almost always be tweaked to rationalize why the marketing stronger one just had the upper hand. Some abilities suddenly got forgotten; some others suddenly work three times the peak efficiency like they usually does. I would not be surprised if there is some Wolverine vs. Superman fight out there where it is explained that Marvels adamantium works like magic kryptonite.
    I hate those. Anyone else remember DC v Marvel from the 90's? That had some stupid ass matchups, and the winners often made no sense because fans were voting to decide who won. So we got stuff like Wolverine defeating Lobo (and the creators had it happen out of sight because even they couldn't figure out how Logan was supposed to pull the win) and Wonder Woman losing to Storm (which, I love Storm, but lightning is not going to stop Diana).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    So I was just over in the wonder woman forums and there's a thread about wonder woman vs other female heroes and fans in the thread said that wonder woman would easily beat power girl and is the most powerful female in dc.

My question is not about who wins in a fight but where does PG stack up in DC female power tier list. I believe diana and Karen should be equal with diana being the more skilled fight fighter but Karen having more raw power being a full adult kryptonian. How do you guys see them.
    Ah, first post here, appropriate for me that it be on this forum. To point out, this was actually handled in the comics by Gail Simone in her Wonder Woman run prior to Flashpoint. The upshot was via Diana's own internal monologue, was that Kara is "at least as fast and as strong as I am". Notice the "at least" part. She also harkens back to Black Canaries observation to Wonder Woman that only she among the "supers" really knew how to fight. Diana's own observation at that point, having been battered around for much of the issue by PG at that point, was that wasn't the case with Kara, that she was quite good, which the art had shown to that point, but that she wasn't quite like Diana herself, trained from birth...

And at that point, she does eventually get PG in a headlock or something, I don't quite recall, and talks her down from mind control, which always seems to happen with her, especially when she's with Diana or SG. It was quite well done IMO, giving PG much of the fight and playing up both her sheer power, (at one point Wonder Woman is sort of shocked that she just got punched into Canada from Washington DC), and her skill, before giving WW a graceful win.

It was a very nice example of how to do that sort of thing.

Extraordinary Member

AFAIK, PG's status is a sort of curious limbo. She shows up in art, and on covers, but not in panels with dialog, and again AFAIK, hasn't been referred to for quite a while. She's of course by now not in Doomsday Clock in all likelihood, but may be in this 5G thing. Apart from that, I've heard no news about her.

IMO, while the nu 52 Power Girl was mostly terrible, which is odd considering that Levitz, who wrote much of that wrote many of her earlier stories, there were some good elements. At times for example, she seemed rather more...epic, than she normally is shown. For example, her fight with Darkseid in the nu52 sort of exemplifies how DC usually treats her...all in one issue, actually from panel to panel. First they have her doing things to Darkseid you rarely get to see, like putting out an eye after going right through his Omega beams, which she later outruns, someonly only Flashes have done IIRC. Then, DC pulls that rug out from under her by showing Darkseid really doesn't care about losing an eye, and can still punk her out.

A random thought about a sadly inactive character.

So according to someone in the CBR Deathstroke thread, Christopher Priest has been trying to pitch a Power Girls miniseries starring Karen and Tanya but DC keeps rejecting him.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    So according to someone in the CBR Deathstroke thread, Christopher Priest has been trying to pitch a Power Girls miniseries starring Karen and Tanya but DC keeps rejecting him.
    Interesting. I wonder why? That said, what I think might fly better would be a Wonder Woman/Power Girl title where the two could play off each other. I'm not sure Tanya Spears is a character I'd want to put with PG, since she does seem to have been originally intended to replace Power Girl, and does also seem to be a bit of a Mary Sue. Still, any port in a storm, and if Priest can get them to bite, it's better than nothing.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I wonder if they already have plans for her and aren't sharing them.
    Assassinate Putin!

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Interesting. I wonder why? That said, what I think might fly better would be a Wonder Woman/Power Girl title where the two could play off each other. I'm not sure Tanya Spears is a character I'd want to put with PG, since she does seem to have been originally intended to replace Power Girl, and does also seem to be a bit of a Mary Sue. Still, any port in a storm, and if Priest can get them to bite, it's better than nothing.
    I just don't know if they'd be fun to read together, but I'm willing to give the book a shot if it materializes. I've yet to be convinced of Tanya as a character. She's been boring the admittedly few times she's cropped up in anything I've read.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I wonder if they already have plans for her and aren't sharing them.
    Hopefully. The other answer I could think of is that they simply don't plan to use her again. Which wouldn't fit though with their continuing to use her in art on covers and the like. I just hope whatever it is, it happens soon, and is very good. PG's always been a character with a huge amount of potential, but simply lacking in enough and good enough stories with her as the hero, and they could do a lot with her if they try.

Mighty Member

If Power Girl gets another series, who would you like to see return as her supporting cast?
    I liked Vartox.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin View Post
    I liked Vartox.
    For me that would be subject to where her setting is, what they have her doing...that sort of thing. I would avoid one-note joke characters though, as I'd prefer they keep their options open with PG; leaving her free to do any kind of story at any time.

The only other thing I'd like with respect to supporting case is that DC give her one on a par with the top DC characters. Especially Superman or Batman. She just needs and deserves a good supporting cast.

And a few truly great stories, and a clear role she serves in the DCU, distinct from SG or SM. And probably a slightly tweaked origin to distinguish her a bit more from SG than simply being an alternate version. That seems above all what's been holding her back. Perhaps a different SM relative? Or something else connected to Krypton?
    Last edited by achilles; 11-14-2019 at 07:23 AM.

Mighty Member

For me that would be subject to where her setting is, what they have her doing...that sort of thing. I would avoid one-note joke characters though, as I'd prefer they keep their options open with PG; leaving her free to do any kind of story at any time.

The only other thing I'd like with respect to supporting case is that DC give her one on a par with the top DC characters. Especially Superman or Batman. She just needs and deserves a good supporting cast.

And a few truly great stories, and a clear role she serves in the DCU, distinct from SG or SM. And probably a slightly tweaked origin to distinguish her a bit more from SG than simply being an alternate version. That seems above all what's been holding her back. Perhaps a different SM relative? Or something else connected to Krypton?

I wouldn’t know where to begin as far as tweaked origins. However I’m aware that she had her own company. Maybe on Krypton, she ran a business? I’m sure they have businesses on Krypton. Maybe before Krypton blew to bits, she went to Earth and started Starrware Industries. But didn’t become an actual superhero until years later after the arrival of her fellow Kryptonians.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin View Post
    I wouldn’t know where to begin as far as tweaked origins. However I’m aware that she had her own company. Maybe on Krypton, she ran a business? I’m sure they have businesses on Krypton. Maybe before Krypton blew to bits, she went to Earth and started Starrware Industries. But didn’t become an actual superhero until years later after the arrival of her fellow Kryptonians.
    I just hope that whatever they do, they make her a more prominent member of the Superman Family. She's often left off those lists, even here, and really wasn't included in the Superman crossovers that much even before Flashpoint. Krypto is a firmer member of the Superman Family than she is, as are Connor and Jon. They should remedy that, whatever she does with the JSA.

I just hope that whatever they do, they make her a more prominent member of the Superman Family. She's often left off those lists, even here, and really wasn't included in the Superman crossovers that much even before Flashpoint. Krypto is a firmer member of the Superman Family than she is, as are Connor and Jon. They should remedy that, whatever she does with the JSA.
    Yeah. It always felt weird that Superman did not tried to connect more considering all she lost. Who else could she turn into; Roger Hayden and his Adam & Eve complex? There is nobody left but the psycho that tried to rape her.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Yeah. It always felt weird that Superman did not tried to connect more considering all she lost. Who else could she turn into; Roger Hayden and his Adam & Eve complex? There is nobody left but the psycho that tried to rape her.
    Ultimately, DC seemed to distance her because the JSA franchise was doing pretty well at the time and they gave her that team and later her own book and a second JSA book to headline. They were doing their best to make her one of the protagonists of the JSA corner, and considering New Krypton was in full swing, she couldn't really commute between those books and the Super office. Too many things to untangle. She got her big push in the late 2000s so I think PG's time has come and gone, so to speak, but I'm hoping that they do pull her back into the Super office just a bit when she returns. I want her to be among the "big three" of the JSA's newer kids, but she should absolutely be a Super character as well.

Remember that for most of her post crisis history Karen didn't even know she was a Kryptonian and even when they found out she was one the Superman she was cousins with wasn't the one from the main universe.