Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Is she appearing in that book?
    Well, he's the artist there, and the MC seems to be obsessed with Superman, so I guess we could see at least a glimpse of Powergirl at some point, if only in news she reads.

I usually keep silent in these situations since tastes vastly differ and that itself is good. But since, as far as I got it, this is from an official DC artist so here my thoughts: What was the artists though process behind that? Would he consider to read at least the semi-modern pre-Flashpoint Power Girl run (neatly packed together in "Power Trip") to learn more about the character? Because looking at that I get the impression the artist really dislikes PG or at least has the strong urge to "fix her" which IMO is against how the character ticks.

Setting aside the Boob Window, which I know is a whole conversion unto itself as to whether Power Girl should still have it, I miss the shoulder cape and the all-white suit, which I feel are also important PG visual indicators.

I'm a firm believer than more costumes, no less, is what's best for a comic characters. I don't mean changing one every other day, once every few years, having a do-over can be great.

One of the selling points of the let's play I watch about PS4 Spiderman is definitively the wide array of costumes he has garnered over the years, and while I'm not sure I would want to have this be the definite costume or version of PG, I now I would definitively love to see this one running around a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I'm a firm believer than more costumes, no less, is what's best for a comic characters. I don't mean changing one every other day, once every few years, having a do-over can be great.

One of the selling points of the let's play I watch about PS4 Spiderman is definitively the wide array of costumes he has garnered over the years, and while I'm not sure I would want to have this be the definite costume or version of PG, I now I would definitively love to see this one running around a little.
    I guess my issue is it looks more "Superman-related character" and less like Power Girl.

But I don't mind different costumes even if I'm a firm believer in solid, consistent, looks.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I completely agree, there are ways to update Power Girl's look without veering too far afield from being able to instantly recognize the character, but also keep within her character. The issue I had with the New 52 Power Girl is that wasn't Power Girl in any way shape or form...her personality was that she would not wear a symbol and did not want to be in her cousin's shadow...she wanted to her her own woman. The Power Girl we got with the New 52 was just another form for Supergirl.
    When (ever) we actually do get the JSA back, I truly hope it is a Power Girl more in keeping with her actual personality back and not just a retread for Supergirl (not that Supergirl is bad...she's awesome...but she should never be able to be confused with Power Girl in personality or physique.)

Kon93

Nope,that's not how I see PG personally myself.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

The pants just aren't doing it for me. That bothers me more than the lack of a boob window.
    Assassinate Putin!

Kon93

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    The pants just aren't doing it for me. That bothers me more than the lack of a boob window.

Yeah those pants are terrible.the only thing about this I like is that it looks like Karen atleast from the neck up.

There is ways to update or cover up PGs look without making her look out of character.

Post pics you think could update her without losing PG while you do it

I used to be high on Nightwing/Power Girl before the New 52. It had been years since Dick had a romance at that point and he was Batman and had that fun team up with PG in her solo. Seeing the two get close and form a new World's Finest duo I thought had a lot of potiental, especially given how their personalities would bounce off each other. You could play up the "hottest DC couple" thing too and really have fun with it.

Now I think it would be a lot more difficult given where these characters are and have to real connection anymore. They were at least friends previously but I don't know where they stand or if they have even met now. It is weird. Of course I would never say no to it since I am still interested in it and see potiental. I don't expect the two to get married or anything but it wold be fun for a while. Also it would be a high profile romance and it would give PG a lot of attention and she could use all the attention and focus she could get at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kon93 View Post
    I liked mr terrific as a love interest,totally opposite of her.
    She was written so badly in that New 52 relationship that it really turned me off them as a couple. She was used just as a sex friend to prop up how cool Mr Terrific was in his book and then later used to fight over him with another love interest for Mr Terrific. Then she was written as a deceiver and someone that screwed him over to use his tech to get back to her universe. Ugh, it was just so awful. She came across as so unlikable in the New 52 Mr Terrific and World's Finest books just thinking back on it.

As for the costume I like her classic look. The simple white costume. I like the boob window as well as I think it is a silly feature that fits her character, but in 2019 if the boob window is too "problematic" in today's climate then just cover it over in white and leave the costume as it is. It is such an easily identifiable costume that you don't need to change it much from its classic look and I never liked her having a big S on her chest either. So a quick edit to the classic look would look like this:

Kon93

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    As for the costume I like her classic look. The simple white costume. I like the boob window as well as I think it is a silly feature that fits her character, but in 2019 if the boob window is too "problematic" in today's climate then just cover it over in white and leave the costume as it is. It is such an easily identifiable costume that you don't need to change it much from its classic look and I never liked her having a big S on her chest either. So a quick edit to the classic look would look like this:

God screw the problematic present,Karen should he who she is and not give a crap what whiney,bitchy ppl think.

I know injustice did the opposite of your boob cover up and cover just her legs.

IIRC there was a classic scene in which she went completely ballistic when someone made her a "P" symbol to cover that spot; meant as a friendly gesture. And I mean really feminist empowerment angry way of ballistic not just her occasional sassy self.

But thats what IMO a lot of ppl who just see pictures of her occasionally but not read stories of her not get. She is female empowerment personified. And if you cant get over her look you have to suck it up of get ruffed up; because it HER business not YOURS. She does not need or want a shining knight who tells her how to dress proper. Why? Because shes Power Girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I used to be high on Nightwing/Power Girl before the New 52. It had been years since Dick had a romance at that point and he was Batman and had that fun team up with PG in her solo. Seeing the two get close and form a new World's Finest duo I thought had a lot of potiental, especially given how their personalities would bounce off each other. You could play up the "hottest DC couple" thing too and really have fun with it.

Now I think it would be a lot more difficult given where these characters are and have to real connection anymore. They were at least friends previously but I don't know where they stand or if they have even met now. It is weird. Of course I would never say no to it since I am still interested in it and see potiental. I don't expect the two to get married or anything but it wold be fun for a while. Also it would be a high profile romance and it would give PG a lot of attention and she could use all the attention and focus she could get at the moment.

She was written so badly in that New 52 relationship that it really turned me off them as a couple. She was used just as a sex friend to prop up how cool Mr Terrific was in his book and then later used to fight over him with another love interest for Mr Terrific. Then she was written as a deceiver and someone that screwed him over to use his tech to get back to her universe. Ugh, it was just so awful. She came across as so unlikable in the New 52 Mr Terrific and World's Finest books just thinking back on it.
    Glad I missed out on these oO

I heard they are bad but whenever I hear more about them they seem to get worse.

The n52 PG/HQ teamups were fun though. Silly fun.

This design is all wrong for Power Girl.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurk View Post
    I usually keep silent in these situations since tastes vastly differ and that itself is good. But since, as far as I got it, this is from an official DC artist so here my thoughts: What was the artists though process behind that? Would he consider to read at least the semi-modern pre-Flashpoint Power Girl run (neatly packed together in "Power Trip") to learn more about the character? Because looking at that I get the impression the artist really dislikes PG or at least has the strong urge to "fix her" which IMO is against how the character ticks.
    I think it's a stretch to say the artist dislikes Power Girl. He'd probably not even bother drawing her at all if he did. And it's just fan art. Fans redesign characters all the time, it doesn't mean they want to fix them or hate them.