Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Supergirl, the ORIGINAL Danvers!!!

I’m ashamed to admit it took me so long to make the connection between Carol Danvers and Kara lol. But now that it’s been pointed out I can’t stop seeing it. They even both have superpowerd cats!

BANNED

Carol Danvers, Alex Danvers & Kara Danvers with their cats..

..hanging out.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Supergirl, the ORIGINAL Danvers!!!
    You know, I've never been able to place why Carol hasn't worked for me and that's because they copied Supergirl, who herself I've never been the biggest fan of. I don't dislike either of them, but neither has ever clicked for me and that makes a lot more sense now.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    How do ANY of the Supers cut their hair, if it's just as invulnerable as the rest of their bodies? Heat vision won't work to trim the back of Clark's head (you'd need to bend the beam 180 degrees), though we have seen him use it to shave off a beard. And even if you do use heat vision you have to be careful, as that fan comic proves. I wonder if that's why Clark kept that mullet for so long in the 90s?
    Keelex is an excellent barber!

More on thread, Kara's always been a mixed bag for me. On the one hand, I greatly enjoyed her during Sterling Gates's run on the character and I liked Andreyko (though that may just be because of Kyrpto, he can make anything more fun). On the other hand, there have been so many takes on the character I find it hard to care because I know the one I care for will be undone by DC soon because they can't make their minds up with their biggest female characters. Even DC Superhero Girls has essentially turned her into Power Girl in all but name and costume.

Sell me on Supergirl, what else should I be reading? I really do want to love the character.
    Last edited by Robanker; 09-29-2019 at 01:35 PM.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Classic cover art by Bob Oksner from Supergirl #1 (November, 1972):

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Supergirl #19.

Supergirl19.jpg

Is the new Supergirl solo story in Batwoman/Supergirl: World's Finest Giant #1, what would've happened if Bendis didn't take over Superman? In that story, called Exit Interview, Kara gets fired from CatCo, talks to Clark, and it turns out she was only doing journalism because Clark was a journalist. He tells her to forge her own path, so she goes to a STAR Labs jobs fair. Of course, in the mainline comics, she would've also been fired from CatCo, but for being absent for weeks if not months, not for allowing protesters to trash an office and just generally being late all the time (because of her actions as Supergirl, which she's been covering up with too many unbelievable excuses).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The Annual was good! I think Venditti has a good handle on the Supercharacters. He wrote a great Zod as well.
    Is the new Supergirl solo story in Batwoman/Supergirl: World's Finest Giant #1, what would've happened if Bendis didn't take over Superman? In that story, called Exit Interview, Kara gets fired from CatCo, talks to Clark, and it turns out she was only doing journalism because Clark was a journalist. He tells her to forge her own path, so she goes to a STAR Labs jobs fair. Of course, in the mainline comics, she would've also been fired from CatCo, but for being absent for weeks if not months, not for allowing protesters to trash an office and just generally being late all the time (because of her actions as Supergirl, which she's been covering up with too many unbelievable excuses).
    Ha, it’s like someone has been reading my posts! I don’t really think Kara going into journalism makes much sense, it only really works with the TV show because they’ve changed the character to suit that interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Ha, it’s like someone has been reading my posts! I don’t really think Kara going into journalism makes much sense, it only really works with the TV show because they’ve changed the character to suit that interpretation.
    And in the TV version with Jimmy Olsen also now gone and Lena Luthor selling Catco there is even less reason to keep Catco. With President Baker gone I think the best move would to make Kara a full time employee of the DEO.
    Not sure why she needs to have any sort of a civilian occupation.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    And in the TV version with Jimmy Olsen also now gone and Lena Luthor selling Catco there is even less reason to keep Catco. With President Baker gone I think the best move would to make Kara a full time employee of the DEO.
    Not sure why she needs to have any sort of a civilian occupation.
    But then she'd just be Supergirl 100% of the time, basically.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The Annual was good! I think Venditti has a good handle on the Supercharacters. He wrote a great Zod as well.

That annual actually revealed something that explains her career problems. As a kid, she was interested in history, and science, and was also involved in some kind of team sport. Of course, anything athletic is not an option on Earth because of her powers (which she didn't have on Krypton) while her knowledge of Kryptonian tech and history is useless as she'd have to reveal her secret identity. No wonder she isn't sure what she wants to be.

When she gets freed from the Batman Who Laughs' brainwashing, it'll be interesting to see what her next career move is.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

That annual actually revealed something that explains her career problems. As a kid, she was interested in history, and science, and was also involved in some kind of team sport. Of course, anything athletic is not an option on Earth because of her powers (which she didn't have on Krypton) while her knowledge of Kryptonian tech and history is useless as she'd have to reveal her secret identity. No wonder she isn't sure what she wants to be.

When she gets freed from the Batman Who Laughs' brainwashing, it'll be interesting to see what her next career move is.
    Also being a scientist isn't a good option because Kryptonians are super-smart as part of their power set. Anything that requires her to keep a regular schedule is also out because it means she can't super hero.

Huh... about the TV show...
    spoilers:
    Seems that Kara's losing her secret ID. Will the comics follow suit? Wouldn't surprise me considering Clark's outing himself.
    end of spoilers
    https://www.cbr.com/supergirl-set-ph...y-episode-100/

Honestly? never found the approach DC takes to super secret identities to be all that plausible. Realistically I think most of them would have had their cover blown in less than a month. Superman is actually one of the best thought out ones. He apparently only spends a small part of his hours when he's supposed to be doing reporter stuff. He also spent several years building his cover in which he rarely if ever did anything as Superman.

Huh... about the TV show...
    spoilers:
    Seems that Kara's losing her secret ID. Will the comics follow suit? Wouldn't surprise me considering Clark's outing himself.
    end of spoilers
    https://www.cbr.com/supergirl-set-ph...y-episode-100/
    spoilers:
    I think it's a fantasy given the title of the episode it happens in.
    end of spoilers