Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

JSA #6-15: Geoff Johns takes over as cowriter and makes his mark on DC Comics. The first ten issues are solid superhero adventures, with a mix of legacy heroes and new blood creating an interesting dynamic. It's a book where golden-age villains return after more than fifty years away, but it doesn't feel staid. The art by Eaglesham and company is so good, it's easy to forget that it could have been anything else.

Prodigy #1-6:Millar and Albuquerque's mini-series about a genius adventurer is fun and over the top, with some clever concepts, but the hero is too flawless for things to be challenging, or for the end of the world to have stakes.

[B|Peter Cannon Thunderbolt #1-5:[/B] Kieron Gillen and Caspar Wijngaard use one of the influences of Watchmen to tell a story that responds heavily to that classic, and the British comics scene of the 1990s. It might not be satisfying to anyone who hasn't read Watchmen, but that's unlikely to be the case with a Dynamic Forces revival of a Charlton Comics hero. It's a contrast with Prodigy in terms of the depiction of an arrogant, genius lead. There's some pathos in the origin and in his inability to have standard human relationships.

Power Man and Iron Fist #56-70: Solid bronze-age mostly street-level adventures. Luke Cage and Iron Fist make for a decent duo, and the heroes for hire dynamic works pretty well.

Avengers (Marvel Now) #1-17: The beginning of Hickman's run takes the Avengers in a more ambitious direction than we've seen outside of Millar's Ultimates, as they face new challenges and a new way of thinking.

New Avengers (Marvel Now) #1-7: The Illuminati make for a compelling dark superteam in the other part of Hickman's run. It's a good match, but at the moment accessible by itself.

What if? #3: A one-off recommended on Marvel's Digital Unlimited service that shows how differently an event early in the Marvel Universe could have gone. A solid dark take on the silver age.

Thor- Blood Oath #1-6: Fun quest for Thor and company by Oeming and Kolins pitting them against other myths.

Marvel Superheroes #12-13/ Captain Marvel #1: The origin of Captain Marvel is a step down from the typical Marvel comics, although I do appreciate how it deals with the consequences of an event in Fantastic Four, and shows a new perspective, with an alien invader as the protagonist.

Hit-Monkey #1-3: Fun violence in the origin of a character from Daniel Way's Deadpool. It's a solid origin for a character good enough to be recurring.

Total So Far: 155 single issues, 0 graphic novels

Best of the batch: Peter Cannon Thunderbolt. It's one of the most impressive standalone superhero stories I've read in the last few years, a story that works on its own level and as a commentary on other comics.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Spectacular Member DamianWayne1's Avatar

June 1-14 - 311 Books
    • Batman vs. Deathstroke (6)
    • Aquaman Volume 6: Kingslayer (5) - Really enjoyed Abnett's run on Aquaman. It started out more classically "superhero-y" with some political elements and ended up very much a political saga, imo, which I really enjoyed. Dolphin was a really cool character and Mera got a lot of great moments.
    • The Curse of Brimstone Volume 1: Inferno (6)
    • Green Lanterns Volume 1: Rage Planet (7)
    • Green Lanterns Volume 2: The Phantom Lantern (8)
    • Green Lanterns Volume 3: Polarity (7)
    • Green Lanterns Volume 4: The First Ring (5)
    • Green Lanterns Volume 5: Out of Time (6) - Solid series. Was never amazing but also never bad. The worst it was "okay". Simon and Jessica's friendship was great and some of my favorite issues featured their respective families. Jessica's struggles with her anxiety were also really well done. In fact, I liked the series less after it got more space-heavy and less grounded on Earth.
    • Pearl #9 (1)
    • Excellence #1 (2)
    • Hal Jordan & the Green Lantern Corps Volume 1: Sinestro’s Law (8)
    • Hal Jordan & the Green Lantern Corps Volume 2: Bottled Light (6)
    • Hal Jordan & the Green Lantern Corps Volume 3: Quest For Hope (8)
    • Hal Jordan & the Green Lantern Corps Volume 4: Fracture (8)
    • Hal Jordan & the Green Lantern Corps Volume 5: Twilight of the Guardians (6)
    • Hal Jordan & the Green Lantern Corps Volume 6: Zod’s Will (5) - Always more cosmic-heavy than Green Lanterns, I really enjoyed the brief Green/Yellow Lantern alliance. My favorite issue had to be where Guy and Arkillo fight and their later, though brief, partnership was great. The break-up of the alliance was great and made a lot of sense - except for the whole Kyle/Soranik kid thing - which just felt stupid and contrived.
    • Batman: Detective Comics Volume 9: Deface the Face (6) - I'm always down for a good Two-Face story, but this wasn't it. Robinson seems to have lost his touch based on what I've heard about his Wonder Woman and this arc. The art was good though.
    • Superman: Action Comics Volume 1: Path of Doom (6)
    • Superman: Action Comics Volume 2: Welcome to the Planet (5)
    • Superman: Action Comics Volume 3: Men of Steel (6)
    • Superman: Action Comics Volume 4: The New World (8)
    • Superman: Action Comics - The Oz Effect Deluxe Edition (8)
    • Superman: Action Comics Volume 5: Booster Shot (8)
    • Superman: Action Comics Volume 1: Invisible Mafia (6) - Great art.
    • Supergirl Volume 1: The Killers of Krypton (6) - Really liked this new direction for Supergirl. Interested to see where it goes. Plus, Krypto's in it! Supergirl should go cosmic more often.
    • Batman Beyond Volume 1: Escaping the Grave (6)
    • Batman Beyond Volume 2: Rise of the Demon (7)
    • Batman Beyond Volume 3: The Long Payback (7)
    • Batman Beyond Volume 4: Target: Batman (5) - Overall, Batman Beyond is enjoyable but doesn't really get any better than just "okay".
    • Daredevil (2019-) #6 (1) - The current artist is a big step down from Checchetto but Zdarsky's story is still great. I'm really liking Detective North and Matt's spiral's been very well done. Even so, it seems like each new Daredevil writer is trying to go even darker than before and while they all do a good job with it, it's making me miss Waid's run a lot.
    • New X-Men by Grant Morrison Volume 1: E is For Extinction (6)
    • New X-Men by Grant Morrison Volume 2: Imperial (9)
    • New X-Men by Grant Morrison Volume 3: New Worlds (7)
    • New X-Men by Grant Morrison Volume 4: Riot at Xavier’s (5)
    • New X-Men by Grant Morrison Volume 5: Assault on Weapon Plus (7) - Still love this twist on the Weapon X program and it looks like Marvel will be diving deeper into it with the Captain America/Wolverine one-shot later this summer.
    • New X-Men by Grant Morrison Volume 6: Planet X (5) - Still not really a fan of the Xorn/Magneto twist and when looking back at how long this took Jean off the board, it puts a bad taste in my mouth.
    • New X-Men by Grant Morrison Volume 7: Here Comes Tomorrow (4) - My least favorite part of Morrison's run. A weird future X-Men story with evil Beast all to justify Cyclops and Emma? There were better ways to do it.
    • Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon & John Cassaday Ultimate Collection Book 1 (12) - While Whedon's writing is great, Cassaday's art is really what makes this a classic. Imo, this really starts the whole "Xavier is a jerk!" era off with the whole Danger saga. Plus, Colossus is back!
    • New X-Men: Academy X - The Complete Collection (20)
    • House of M (9)
    • Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon & John Cassaday Ultimate Collection Book 2 (15) - One of my favorite X-Men runs. Kitty really shines, as do Armor and Cyclops. The Breakworld stuff is great and Director Brand remains delightfully rage-inducing.
    • New X-Men #16-20 (5)
    • X-Men: Season One (6) - Fun summary of the original X-Men's adventures set in the modern day. Hopeless writes a great Jean, as further shown by his teen Jean Grey series. The art's also great.
    • X-Men: First Class (2006) #1-8 (8) - Fun one-shots that flesh out the O5 a bit.
    • Justice League: No Justice (4)
    • Uncanny X-Men Masterworks Volume 1 (9) - Took me a bit to get into the art and story but I'm firmly sucked into Claremont's X-Men now.
    • Classic X-Men #1 (1)

Best Of: Astonishing X-Men

June Total: 311

2019 Total: 1094
    Last edited by DamianWayne1; 06-19-2019 at 05:50 AM.

January: 261
    February: 59
    March: 54
    April: 105
    May: 138
    June:

BPRD Hell on earth 5 (15)
    Blue estate deluxe (12)
    PTSD (9)
    Harrow County Library Edition 2 (8)
    Berlin by Jason Lutes (25)
    Black Magick book 1 (11)
    Nailbiter deluxe 3 (11)

Total: 708
    Last edited by JPAR; 06-24-2019 at 04:52 AM.

Here's how this last month has stacked up:

123-126. Amazing Spiderman 20.HU-23(LGY 284)---- Solid Spencer Spidey. I liked the ending and the all the set-ups for future stories. Spidey is in competent hands

127-128- Spiderman Life Story 3-4---- My favorite Spidey series this year.

129. Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman 6

130. Asgardians of the Galaxy 1----Finally tried this book out. It has no business being any good, but I really liked it!

131-132. Avengers 18-19(Lgy 718-719)---- I liked both these books. Even though they are basically Event Tie-In filler, Aaron at least keeps teasing some of the big stories ahead and I'm really excited about where this book is going.

133. Savage Avengers 1

134. Classic X-men 23---- reprints the Shadow King story. Never read this before. Shadow King was always one of my least favorite concepts (not a big fan of mind control characters) but his battle of the minds with Xavier was as epic as advertised. Truly a classic.

135. Doomsday Clock 10----- Maybe my favorite read this year. Great book.

136. Guardians of the Galaxy 5------ holy cow! Starfox!!!!

137.Guardians of the Galaxy Annual 1

138.Silver Surfer Black----Cates has brought Cosmic Marvel back heights it hasn't seen since the first Annhiliation series. So much fun.

139-141 Immortak Hulk 17-19--- The hits keep coming!

142-143- War of the Realms 4-5---- At least it's short.

144. WoR New Agents of Atlas 1---- i know i'm just feeding the beast when i cave in and buy tie ins, but I loved the Agents of Atlas so i picked this up. intro to a bunch of new characters (apparently tied to a video game so this book has all the gross corporate synergy you could ever ask for) That said, i think overall it works. I can't wait to see the original team back at some point, but I'm glad marvel's doing something with the concept.

145. WoR Giant-Man--- Big dumb fun. I love it.

Fantastic Member Captain Buttocks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Buttocks View Post
    Probably get nowhere near 1,000 but here's my January reads..

The Omega Men TBP - Wasnt feeling it at first but brought me round with some solid, solid storytelling. (12 issues)
    Domino #9 & 10 - Read it cos Longshot is in it (my fave character) - solid, albeit rushed story with some up-and-down art
    Runaways #16 & 17 - as comfy as my slippers
    Saga volumes 1-9 - fantastic (54 issues)

Thats 70 issues in total. Not bad. Got New Frontier and the Goon volume 4 to look at this month, and eyeing up some Giant Days hardcovers
    So haven't updated in months, but I like this thread for getting good recommendations from other voracious readers, so here are some things I recall reading

Giant Days : Not on the test edition 1 (9 issues) - really cracking read. Looking forward to buying more.
    New Frontier (6 issues) Possibly not my cup of tea due to lack of DC knowledge. Good though.
    Planetary Omnibus - (30 issues) very good indeed, from a writer I hadn't previously been sold on
    Immortal Hulk Volumes 1-3 TPB - (15 issues) phenomenal stuff, Brian.
    Transformers #1-7 not quite meh, but definitely eh.
    Captain America: Steve Rogers vol 1-3 (16 issues) intriguing enough but felt a little stretched out.
    Green Lantern #1-5 Grant Morrison doing Grant Morrison. Good if you like Grant Morrison, which I do!

My "to read" pile now has the original Claremont/Miller Wolverine mini, Superman: Red Son, the first volume of Umbrella Academy and Alan Moore's Swamp Thing. Exciting times ahead!
    Last edited by Captain Buttocks; 06-23-2019 at 01:56 PM.

Continuing my summer reading...

Infinity #1-6/ Avengers (Hickman) #18-23/ New Avengers #8-12: Fast read given the number of pages/ issues (granted I got it all for a dollar in one of the infamous Kindle sales) but this may be the closest comic to Infinity War/ Endgame featuring the major Avengers tackling a few end of the world problems, some Thanos related.

Mind MGMT #1-17: Decent world-building from Lemire with subsequent volumes building on initial twists in interesting ways.

Batman (Rebirth) #24-32: The War of Jokes and Riddles might be the highlight of Tom King's Batman run/ regular DC work, showing a major conflict in an accessible way.

Amazing Spider-Man Volume 5 #16-23/ 16 HU/ 17 HU/ 18 HU/ 19HU: "Hunted" is an imperfect but solid Spider-Man crisis/ Kraven's Last Hunt homage.

Marvel Premiere #9-10/ 12-14: Englehart and Brunner's Doctor Strange ties up a cosmic saga with an encounter against Shuma Gorath (an interesting enough bad guy that he's been in video games) and another villain who could remake history. Very high-stakes bronze age sagas.

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers #0, 1-16: The Boom Studios saga would have been ten year old me's favorite comic building on the series to deliver the greatest challenge for the characters in a satisfying way that develops themes and character nicely.

Total So Far: 230 single issues, 0 graphic novels

Best of the batch: The War of Jokes and Riddles. As an early Batman adventure, it's not quite Batman Year One but on the level of The Long Halloween.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

New around here, and just noticed this thread. I just got back into reading comics about two months ago. I'm starting with re-reading the more than 7 longboxes in my old collection, so it'll keep me busy for a while, even if I never buy any new stuff.

Not specifically shooting for 1000 in one year, but I've been reading so much lately that it may actually be possible, despite the late start in the year. But I doubt if I'll keep up this rate of reading all year. Here's what I've read so far:

I started last month with a Neil Gaiman marathon, then continued with the rest of my related Vertigo collection:

Sandman #1-75 - Needs no introduction
    Death: The High Cost of Living #1-3 - The first Sandman spinoff, good stuff
    Death: The Time of Your Life #1-3 - Not as good
    The Books of Magic (miniseries) #1-4 More fantastic work from Gaiman
    The Children's Crusade #1-2 - The first and last "company wide" crossover event for the Vertigo line. Actually pretty good, but I agree with them not doing it again.
    Arcana: The Books of Magic Annual #1 - Tie into The Children's Crusade, and launch book for The Books of Magic ongoing series. Honestly, better than the ongoing series that followed it.
    The Books of Magic (1st ongoing) #1-41 - Not bad, but not great
    The Books of Faerie #1-3 - BOM prequel. Unnecessary and kinda boring, IMHO.
    Dead Boy Detectives #1-4 - I like the characters, but not the story here.
    Zatanna: Everyday Magic (One shot) - Not impressed.
    Hunter: The Age of Magic #1-6 - Better than the previous BOM ongoing, actually, but I didn't like it enough to track down later issues from this series.

After that, since I was done with all of my Sandman-related Vertigo comics, I moved on to other things, starting with what is oddly the only Dark Horse series I ever bought:

Fray #1-8 - Joss Whedon's sequel to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, set roughly 200 years in the future. I remember when this came out, while the TV show was on the air, and it actually introduced a detail to Slayer lore that was later used in the final season of the TV show.

Then I went for some Batman comics:

Detective Comics #27/Batman #1 - I have a reprint with just the stories from these two issues that introduced Batman, Robin, and Joker.
    Batman: Gotham by Gaslight - The book that introduced the concept of alternate histories, which later came to be known as Elseworlds. I like the idea and the art, but I wasn't overly impressed by the story.
    Batman #404-407 - Batman: Year One - One of my all time favorite Batman stories.
    Detective #575-578 - Batman: Year Two - Nowhere near as good as year one. But then, not much is.

At that point, I decided that instead of focusing just on Batman, I'd read some more of my older DC stuff. I only have about 30 or so issues of pre-Crisis DC, so I figured I'd start with those. It was kind of odd going from some of the darkest, most mature books in my collection to the Golden Age and Silver Age silliness.

Shazam! Family Annual - An 80 page reprint book with stories from 5 issues from the Fawcett era, including the first appearances of Mary Marvel and Black Adam.
    Flash, volume 1 #162, 237, 259, 267, 269, 274-276, 283-284, 295, 300, 309, 312, 315, 317, 323-324 - I don't know why I have such a random collection of Flash issues. It's probably just whatever I found cheap over the years, since I started collecting comics 10+ years after any of these were published. Somehow, I got lucky in owning most of the absolute biggest issues of that era, featuring the deaths of two major recurring characters.
    Justice League of America #209 - Final issue of a 5 part crossover event including the JSA, but I don't have the first 4 parts.

Still have about 9 more pre-Crisis comics to read, mostly Flash and JLofA, along with one issue of Action Comics. Then, I'll probably read Crisis itself and move into the post-Crisis stuff, which I own a LOT more of (most of 5 longboxes).

Read so far: 185

That's counting the 80 page Shazam! reprint as 5 issues, since it has content from that many, though I'm sure they're not all complete. But it's also counting a couple of longer one shot and Annuals as only a single issue, even if they're as long as 2-3 issues each. It's just a guesstimate. I'm not worried about having a perfect count.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit to add: I just finished reading all of my pre-Crisis DC books, since there really aren't that many of them. So here's the update:

Flash, volume 1 #325-326, 340
    Justice League of America #224, 226, 233, 235-236
    Justice League of America Annual #1, 2
    Action Comics #559

Read so far: 196

Next up: I'll read the 12 issues of the all important Crisis on Infinite Earths, then on to my MUCH larger collection of post-Crisis DC stuff, which should keep me busy for a year or two.
    Last edited by Fromper; 06-24-2019 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Update

Spectacular Member

2019 Week 24

Gunslinger Girl 9-15 (180 pages, 56 issues)

Total for the week: 56
    Total for the year: 1354

Spectacular Member

2019 Week 25

Iron Man Epic Collection 14 Return of the Ghost (19 issues)
    The Promised Neverland 7 (208 pages, 9 issues)
    Platinum End 9 (208 pages, 9 issues)
    Moriarty The Patriot 4 (208 pages, 9 issues)

Total for the week: 46
    Total for the year: 1400

Spectacular Member DamianWayne1's Avatar

June 15-21 - 133 Books
    • Magneto: Testament #1-5 (5)
    • Uncanny X-Men Masterworks Volume 2 (9) - So basically, I decided to bite the bullet and finally started reading Claremont's X-Men...
    • Uncanny X-Men #111-122 (12)
    • Uncanny X-Men Annual #3 (2)
    • Uncanny X-Men #123-138 (17)
    • Uncanny X-Men Annual #4 (2)
    • Uncanny X-Men #139-150 (13)
    • Uncanny X-Men Annual #5 (2)
    • Avengers Annual #10 (2)
    • Uncanny X-Men #151-160 (10)
    • Magik #1-4 (4)
    • Uncanny X-Men #161-166 (7)
    • Special Edition X-Men (1983) #1 (2)
    • Uncanny X-Men Annual #6 (2)
    • Marvel Graphic Novel #4: The New Mutants (3)
    • Marvel Graphic Novel #5: God Loves, Man Kills (3) - Brent Anderson's art is gorgeous. Also, this works much better after having read Claremont's other stuff. I originally tried to read this when I first started reading comics and it just didn't really work for me. I didn't even finish it. Totally understand why it's considered a classic now though.
    • New Mutants #1-3 (3)
    • Uncanny X-Men #167 (1) - Kitty/Doug Forever! (Like seriously, Kitty/Piotr is sooo creepy, especially in hindsight)
    • New Mutants #4-7 (4)
    • Uncanny X-Men #168-171 (4)
    • Wolverine #1-4 (4)
    • Uncanny X-Men #172-175 (5) - Can Wolverine move to Japan permanently?
    • Uncanny X-Men Annual #7 (2)
    • Uncanny X-Men #176-179 (4)
    • New Mutants #8-14 (7)
    • Uncanny X-Men #180 (1)
    • New Mutants #15-17 (3)

Best Of: X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills; Wolverine #1-4; Magik #1-4

June Total: 444 Books

2019 Total: 1,227 Books
    Last edited by DamianWayne1; 06-29-2019 at 08:36 AM.

January: 261
    February: 59
    March: 54
    April: 105
    May: 138
    June:

BPRD Hell on earth 5 (15)
    Blue estate deluxe (12)
    PTSD (9)
    Harrow County Library Edition 2 (8)
    Berlin by Jason Lutes (25)
    Black Magick book 1 (11)
    Nailbiter deluxe 3 (11)
    Wayward deluxe 1, 2 & 3 (30)

Total: 738

Fantastic Member Captain Buttocks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Buttocks View Post
    So haven't updated in months, but I like this thread for getting good recommendations from other voracious readers, so here are some things I recall reading

Giant Days : Not on the test edition 1 (9 issues) - really cracking read. Looking forward to buying more.
    New Frontier (6 issues) Possibly not my cup of tea due to lack of DC knowledge. Good though.
    Planetary Omnibus - (30 issues) very good indeed, from a writer I hadn't previously been sold on
    Immortal Hulk Volumes 1-3 TPB - (15 issues) phenomenal stuff, Brian.
    Transformers #1-7 not quite meh, but definitely eh.
    Captain America: Steve Rogers vol 1-3 (16 issues) intriguing enough but felt a little stretched out.
    Green Lantern #1-5 Grant Morrison doing Grant Morrison. Good if you like Grant Morrison, which I do!

My "to read" pile now has the original Claremont/Miller Wolverine mini, Superman: Red Son, the first volume of Umbrella Academy and Alan Moore's Swamp Thing. Exciting times ahead!
    In the last week (previous total 158 issues)

Wolverine by Claremont and Miller - (4 issues) - a top quality read and it still holds up.
    Red Son - (3 issues) - one of the better Millar comics
    Umbrella Academy vol 1 - (6 issues) - a surprisingly great little gem
    Mr & Mrs X #6-12 (7 issues) - good fun

That takes me up to 178!

January-May total 566 issues, and for June...

The Spirit Book Four (includes Spirit #21-25; DC; 2008-2009)
    The Spirit Book Five (includes Spirit #26-32; DC; 2009)
    The Spirit Archives Vol. 2 (216 pp; DC; January 5-June 29, 1941)
    Hellstorm by Warren Ellis Omnibus (includes Hellstorm #12-21, Druid #1-4 and the unpublished pages from Santana #1-3; Marvel; 1994-1995)
    Star Trek Year Five #1-2 (IDW; 2019)
    Invisible Kingdom #1-3 (Dark Horse/Berger Books; 2019)
    Excellence #1 (Image; 2019)
    Gogor #1 (Image; 2019)
    Gladstone Comic Album #6 (Uncle Scrooge; including Uncle Scrooge #13; 1956 and Uncle Scrooge #30; 1960)
    Library of American Comics FCBD Edition #1 (IDW; 2010)
    Gladstone Comic Album #19 (Uncle Scrooge; including Uncle Scrooge #12; 1955 and Gutenberghus Group story reprint)
    The First Wave #1-6 (DC; 2010-2011)
    Batman/Doc Savage Special #1 (DC; 2010)
    Descender Vol. 1: Tin Stars (collecting #1-6; Image 2015)

73 issues, bringing my YTD total to: 639

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

I took a break for the first two weeks of June. I wanted to read some other stuff.

June: 65
    Hawkeye Deluxe 1-2: (22)
    Paper Girls Deluxe 1-2: (29)
    Asterio Polyp: (8)
    Full Metal Alchemist HC 1: (6)
    Last edited by Grapefruit; 06-30-2019 at 07:54 PM.

Astonishing Member

Some new readings and many re-readings as well.

Amazing Spider-Man#634,635,636,637,642,643,644,645,646,647,674,67 5,676,682,683,684,685,686,687. (22)
    Immortal Hulk.Vol.2 (TPB) (5)
    Imortal Hulk.Vol.3 (TPB) (5)
    Peter Parker.Spectacular Spider-Man#156.1
    Wolverine#305,306,307,308.
    Tintin.The Broken Ear (3)

Total:317.
    Last edited by comicscollector; 07-01-2019 at 04:35 AM.