Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

First post of the new year! Pretty burnt out on super heroes atm, so it will probably be a little more slow going for me in the coming months. Also trying to be more selective buying moving forward since i didn't read a good chunk of what I purchased last year. May even end up (gasp!) downsizing eventually. Anyways, on to the reads!

Doctor Star and the Kingdom of Lost Tomorrows TP (4) - At this point anything Black Hammer is a must buy for me. This was a sad short story that really pulls at the heart strings. It's also very much standalone and can be enjoyed without any prior reading.

Copperhead TP v1 (5) - Entertaining murder investigation a new sheriff in a new town is thrust into. This sorta reminded of Fables first volume, where they creators sort of test the water by laying an interesting groundwork but structure the arc to stand on its own if not successful. Will check out the next volumes.

Batman: Rebirth HC v3 (13) - Most of this collection consisted of shorter arcs focusing on Cat and Bat (ugh) and their relationship. Mostly good but nothing worth singling out here. Joelle Jones' art is the real highlight of this collection. I had an opportunity to buy a piece a year ago and passed, and now I kind of regret it.

Goodnight, Paradise TP (6) Dysart has been hit or miss for me, but this was pretty solid. He manged to write a compelling drama while highlighting the ugliness of addiction, homelessness, and mental health most of us are probably guilty of turning a blind eye to.

Sara TP (6) I've been very pleased with the last several Ennis works I've sampled, and this was great as well. Epting's art was strong, as expected. Even though these TKO books are only six issue, they were very dense, and i feel like i really got a fully fleshed-out story with both of them. Pleased on that front, and looking forward to a couple more solicitations due in the spring/summer.

Isola TP v1 (5) - Beautiful book but lacking in the story department. I get letting things unfold slowly, but 5 issues in and not much has happened or been explained really. There's better fantasy options if you're looking to scratch that itch.

*Oops forgot one

Dept. H HC v1 (6) - Yet another story revolving around the investigation of a murder (seems a lot of these are finding their way into my read pile). Not particularly engaging through one volume, but i already purchased the others, so I'll get to them eventually.

45 issues fty
    Last edited by awayne83; 01-17-2019 at 11:24 AM.

Spectacular Member

2019 Week 2

Broussaille Intégrale 2 (312 pages, 14 issues)
    Berserk 1-3 (240 pages, 33 issues)

Total for the week: 47
    Total for the year: 67

Spectacular Member

2019 Week 3

Thor Epic Collection 5 The Fall of Asgard (21 issues)
    Berserk 4-7 (240 pages, 44 issues)

Total for the week: 65
    Total for the year: 132

Astonishing Member

New Readings:

Fantastic Four#20 (True Believers#1)
    What If#9 (True Believers#1)
    Conan.The Barbarian#4 (True Believers#1)
    Marvel Fanfare:Strange Tales (TPB) (12)
    Batman.The Dark Knight Detective Vol:1 (TPB) (15)
    The Immortal Hulk Vol:1 (TPB) (6)
    Doctor Strange#5 (LGY:395)

Total:104.
    Last edited by comicscollector; 01-22-2019 at 06:41 AM.

First post of the year in this thread:

Ex Machina 54
    Ex wannabe superhero in a world where there are no superheroes, becomes the mayor of New York post 911. Read this before and it's still a really entertaining read. Why is it not a hit tv series already?
    Only problem is Harris' artwork. He used tons of photo references and you can really tell. All the poses and facial expressions are just weird. I appreciate the effort but a lot of times it just doesn't work (I liked the book more every time someone filled in for him)

Silver Surfer by Dan Slott and Mike Alred omnibus 30
    What if Silver surfer was Doctor who but at the same time utterly preposterous, goofy, silver age sci-fi? It's a series that's not afraid to throw in big ideas and look silly and colourful but what holds this whole thing together is always the emotional core. Sometimes it almost went a bit too far with how goofy it was but the stories always worked on an emotional level (especially the last couple of issues, I had to put down the book a few times to wipe my ...glasses).
    Beautiful stuff.

That's 84 issues so far

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    First post of the year in this thread:

Ex Machina 54
    Ex wannabe superhero in a world where there are no superheroes, becomes the mayor of New York post 911. Read this before and it's still a really entertaining read. Why is it not a hit tv series already?
    Only problem is Harris' artwork. He used tons of photo references and you can really tell. All the poses and facial expressions are just weird. I appreciate the effort but a lot of times it just doesn't work (I liked the book more every time someone filled in for him)

Silver Surfer by Dan Slott and Mike Alred omnibus 30
    What if Silver surfer was Doctor who but at the same time utterly preposterous, goofy, silver age sci-fi? It's a series that's not afraid to throw in big ideas and look silly and colourful but what holds this whole thing together is always the emotional core. Sometimes it almost went a bit too far with how goofy it was but the stories always worked on an emotional level (especially the last couple of issues, I had to put down the book a few times to wipe my ...glasses).
    Beautiful stuff.

That's 84 issues so far
    I loved Silver Surfer, and to be honest, before this I didn't know Dan Slott had it in him. He and the Allreds' killed it on this book.

Quote Originally Posted by OldManBrian View Post
    I loved Silver Surfer, and to be honest, before this I didn't know Dan Slott had it in him. He and the Allreds' killed it on this book.
    I enjoyed everything I've read from him so far (even Mighty Avengers although not as much as his other stuff). Probably she-hulk was my favourite until this SS run. Is his F4 series still going on? Didn't hear much buzz about it other then someone here or in the FB group mentioning how bad it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I enjoyed everything I've read from him so far (even Mighty Avengers although not as much as his other stuff). Probably she-hulk was my favourite until this SS run. Is his F4 series still going on? Didn't hear much buzz about it other then someone here or in the FB group mentioning how bad it is.
    I've never read that She-Hulk series and have always heard good things. I'll have to check it out. I haven't read any of his FF and have read very mixed reviews. Unless it's selling very poorly, I'd expect there will be an OHC at some point. I'd definitely check out at least a first volume.

Astonishing Member

I have been collecting the new Fantatsic Four stories in Singles.
    So far the stories by Dan Slott of the Fantatsic Four have been great.It´s one of my favorites ongoing comic books now.
    Dan Slott stories in Amazing Spider-Man were a must read to me,so i was intrigued to read the new FF stories by him.And it have not disapointed me.
    The stories take in consideration the previous stories of Fantastic Four and build upon that.Something that the writer is very good at.

Mighty Member

Update:

Thief of Thieves TP v5-6 (12) - This was a series i enjoyed a lot when it first came out, but when it went on hiatus i never bothered to catch up. Now that the final installment is under way i decided I'd grab the next couple volumes. Still a quick, fun read

Giant Days HC v2 (10) - Im not as high on this series as some on these boards, but it has its moments. Which is weird, cause the teen/college era media is usually right in my wheelhouse

Dept. H HC v2-4 (18) - Talked before about not really liking the first volume but had already purchased the others. I'm glad i did, because the focus shifted a bit in the 2nd collection and it becomes much more interesting. The story becomes less a murder investigation and more an introspective on what turns out to be a pretty compelling cast.

45 + 40 =85 fty

Astonishing Member

New Readings:

Fantastic Four:36(True Believers#1)
    Fantastic Four:62(True Believers#1)
    Savage Tales:5(True Believers#1)
    Conan the Barbarian:17(True Believers#1)
    Conan the Barbarian:23(True Believers#1)
    Conan the Barbarian:37(True Believers#1)
    Conan the Barbarian:58(True Believers#1)
    Venom (2018) :1-6 (TPB) (6)
    Avengers (2018):1-6 (TPB) (7)
    Fantastic Four:6 (2018)
    Superior Spider-Man:2 (2018)
    Conan the Barbarian:2 (2018)
    Guardians of the Galaxy:1 (2019)
    Marvel Comics Presents:1 (2019) (2)
    Avengers:13 (2019)

Total:131.

Here is my list for January. Am digging through my back issues.

Brave and the Bold - 1
    Gotham Central - 15
    Green Lantern -2
    Justice League - 20
    Daredevil - 18
    West Coast Avengers - 26
    X - Force - 6

Total - 88
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Spectacular Member

2019 Week 4

Avengers Epic Collection 22 Operation Galactic Storm (21 issues)
    X-Men Epic Collection 3 The Sentinels Live (22 issues)
    Berserk 8-12 (240 pages, 55 issues)

Total for the week: 98
    Total for the year: 230

All-New Member

Ending this month with the following titles:
    Kill or be killed vol 1 (4)
    Deadly class vol 1 (6)
    Deadly class vol 2 (5)
    Hellboy Omnibus vol 1 (15)
    Batman: the Black mirror (10)
    Monstress vol 1 (6)
    Monstress vol 2 (6)