Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

January
    Aquaman by Johns omnibus: (31 issues) My first Aquaman series and a great start to the year.
    Global Frequency Deluxe: (12 issues) Good comics, but I think my expectations were too high going into this. I kept waiting for the different one-issue stories to culminate in an amazing finale, much like Planetary. So I was disappointed when that didn't happen.
    Usago Yojimbo Saga 3: (22 issues) I'm now over half way through this series and the quality is so consistent. I'll be sad to get to the end.
    Deadly Class Deluxe 1-2: (31 issues) Absolutely amazing in parts, very good in others. Really didn't take to the main character though.
    Usagi Yojimbo Saga 4: (22 issues) The best volume yet!
    Silver Surfer Omnibus: (30 issues) Another great read, I've had a great month. The ending was good, but not as good as I'd heard.
    Joe The Barbarian: (8 issues) Took a while to get into, I ended up having to start again and binge over a weekend. definitely not a good one to read an issue a night just before bed.
    Usagi Yojimbo Saga 5: (22 issues) I'm running out of things to say about how much I enjoy this, but I do!

Total for month: 178 issues
    Total for year: 178 issues
    Last edited by MagpieMad; 01-31-2019 at 02:44 PM.

January has been a good start to 2019 for me, in terms of reading at least. I'm definitely on more of a book run than comics/manga just now. I also have some Diablo 2 tournaments coming up in March, so I won't have much reading time.

Goals
    Comics - 1000
    Books - 30

This Month

Comics - 116
    • TMNT V4 - 13
    • TMNT V5 - 15
    • TMNT V6 - 15
    • TMNT V7 - 14
    • Winterworld/Wintersea - 7
    • Pokemon Adventures V1 - 14
    • Pokemon Adventures V2 - 13
    • Pokemon Adventures V3 - 13
    • Pokemon Adventures V4 - 12

Books - 9
    • JB: From Russia with Love
    • JB: Forever and a Day
    • JB: Trigger Mortis
    • Fingersmith
    • Morse: Last Seen Wearing
    • Doctor Who: The Good Doctor
    • Doctor Who: Molten Heart
    • Drenai: The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend
    • Gotham: City of Monsters

Overall

Comics - 116
    January: 116
    February:
    March:
    April:
    May:
    June:
    July:
    August:
    September:
    October:
    November:
    December:

Books - 9
    January: 9
    February:
    March:
    April:
    May:
    June:
    July:
    August:
    September:
    October:
    November:
    December:

Complete Reading Record 2019

Comics
    • TMNT V4 - 13
    • TMNT V5 - 15
    • TMNT V6 - 15
    • TMNT V7 - 14
    • Winterworld/Wintersea - 7
    • Pokemon Adventures V1 - 14
    • Pokemon Adventures V2 - 13
    • Pokemon Adventures V3 - 13
    • Pokemon Adventures V4 - 12

Books
    • JB: From Russia with Love
    • JB: Forever and a Day
    • JB: Trigger Mortis
    • Fingersmith
    • Morse: Last Seen Wearing
    • Doctor Who: The Good Doctor
    • Doctor Who: Molten Heart
    • Drenai: The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend
    • Gotham: City of Monsters
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Here are my reads for January 2019. It's a nice jump from my last couple of months. Starting the year on a good note lol.

Amazing Spider-Man Vol.5 #12-13 (2)
    Animosity #1-4 (4)
    Animosity: The Rise #1 (1)
    Aquaman Geoff Johns Omnibus #1-8 (8)
    Avengers (2018) #12 (1)
    Breakneck #1 (2)
    Bully Wars #5 (1)
    Captain Marvel (2019) #1 (1)
    Cosmic Ghost Rider #5 (1)
    Criminal (2019) #1 (2)
    Gideon Falls #10 (1)
    God of War #3 (1)
    Green Lantern Rebirth #1 (1)
    Kick-Ass Vol.1 #1 (1)
    Leviathan #3 (1)
    Middlewest #2 (1)
    Miles Morales: Spider-Man #2 (1)
    Murder Falcon #4 (1)
    Old Man Hawkeye #11-12 (2)
    Rags #2-3 (2)
    Return of Wolverine #4 (1)
    Revival #1 (1)
    Riptide #1-2 (2)
    Sink #4-5 (2)
    Spawn Kills Everyone Too #1-2 (2)
    The Batman Who Laughs #2 (1)
    The Goon Vol.2 #1-4 (4)
    The Goon Vol.2 Special #1 (1)
    The Goon Vol.3 #1-8 (8)
    The Immortal Hulk #11-12 (2)
    The Source #1 (1)
    Unnatural #6 (1)
    Venom (2018) #10 (1)
    Weapon H #9-11 (3)
    White Widow #1 (1)
    X-23 #8 (1)

Total January: 67

The best read of the month were definitely The Goon and Aquaman. First time reading those and The Goon is amazing and like Aquaman a lot. Never read any Aquaman before and I'm glad I bought the Omni. Other great reads this month: ASM, The Source, Immortal Hulk, Sink, Gideon Falls. Everything was good to be honest except Spawn Kills Everyone Too that was kinda bad and God of War that is not that good..

Alex

January update:

Decent start to the year I’d say, I’m currently on track if I keep up this pace.

- Daredevil by Bendis Ultimate Collection Book 1 TPB (19): Throughly enjoyed this, great analysis of Murdock’s character coupled with a gripping story. The art was bleak and fit the book perfectly, really set the tone. Very engaging read, got through it all in about a day (very quick for me). Will finish up the run and then probably check out the Miller and Brubaker runs.
    - Spider-Man: Big Time Complete Collection Vol. 2 TPB (17): Bit of a mixed bag, but when it shines, it really shines. Didn’t care for much in here besides the Spider-Island story but that was fantastic. Pure comic book fun while also discussing who Spider-Man is at his core. The Big Time era contains a lot of middling shlock, but it sprinkles in some fantastic Spidey stories, too.
    - One-Punch Man Vol. 2 (8): Another great instalment. This is such a fun parody and a very refreshing read.
    - The Flash by Mark Waid Book 3 TPB (15): Probably my least favourite chapter in the Waid saga thus far, but it’s hard to follow up The Return of Barry Allen. I particularly loved the moments where Waid sets Wally against a clock and just has him outrun a threat: it’s very simple but also quite engaging. I’m also a fan of how Wally doesn’t seem completely omnipotent with his powers, he can still be defeated and it just makes the story more fun when Wally isn’t unbeatable. Issue #91 was also phenomenal: really cool depiction of what Wally can do with his powers (akin to how Waid explored Daredevil’s powers in his Daredevil run).
    - The Omega Men TPB (12): A great read. Started a little slow, but it reached some crazy heights. Solid, introspective sci-fi that hooked me. Would recommend. (I also really liked the covers, very cool)
    - The Immortal Hulk Vol. 1 TPB (6): I’ve heard a lot of hype about this story and it definitely delivered. Ewing and Bennet have such a strong command of structure and it shows. Engaging, well-told and overall a very satisfying read. Excited for volume 2.
    - Annihilation Complete Collection Vol. 1 TPB (17): This one is a collection of stories of varying degrees of quality. I didn’t care much for the prologue or the Super-Skrull mini, I found the Drax and Silver Surfer minis pretty good, but the Nova mini was amazing. It got me so invested in the character of Nova and I am very keen to try more Nova/cosmic stories. Will hopefully get volume 2 soon.

Monthly Total: 94 books
    Yearly Total: 94 books

Favourite for the month: Flash #91 or The Omega Men

Thrashing Like a Maniac! Gotham Thrasher's Avatar

Okay! Didn't think I was going to partake this year because all hell is about break loose for me personally but I thought I should At least challenge myself to try to read one comic a day...at the very least I can enjoy that one thing that day! So here we go again!

Action Comics #1006 : still don't know what to make of Bendis' run on the super books but I'm enjoying them much more than I thought I would so I guess that's a plus.

Freedom Fighters (Vol. 3) (2018) # 1 : an interesting start to the new series which sets up the history of Rebirth Continuity Earth X.

Hawkman (Vol. 5) (2018) #'s 5 - 8 (4 issues) : loving this series! Venditti & Hitch are on fire with an interesting plot, great art and also loved seeing the classic team up and interesting with Ray Palmer/ The Atom! New origin is an interesting addition to the Hawks mythology. Totally underrated series!

Champions (2019) # 1: hmm I wanted to like this and while I enjoyed Cummings art. Unfortunately, I found the writing lacking substance with little characterization and no plot. Shocking cliffhanger at the end but unfortunately I don't care enough to come back.

Justice League Dark (Vol. 2) (2018) # 3, Wonder Woman and Justice League Dark: The Witching Hour # 1, Wonder Woman (Vol. 5) (2016) # 56, Justice League Dark (Vol. 2) (2018) # 4, Wonder Woman (Vol. 5) (2016) #57 and justice league dark and Wonder Woman the witching hour # 1 (8 issues)

Young Justice (Vol. 2) ( 2019) # 1: really loved this book despite Bendis and it's great to see the gang( Tim, Bart and Cassie) back together...as for the missing party ...no Spoilers lol.

Martian Manhunter (Vol.5 ) ( 2018) # 2: ok Orlando's writing was little clearer here . His best scenes are the ones with J'onn and his human partner. But the flashback scenes this issue were better then last issue because Orlando tuned down the weird way J'onn and his wife were speaking. I find Orlando does this a lot when portraying aliens in his comics and I find it annoying to be honest. Rossomo's art is what it is. Ironically again , I thought it was best in the scenes with J'onn and his human partner.

The Punisher (2016) #s 218 - 228 , The Punisher (Vol. 12) (2018) #'s 1 - 5, ( 16 issues): A nice return to form for Frank in the more then capable hands of Matt Rosenberg! A spiritual successor to secret Empire and with Sam Jackson/Nick Fury acting strange in both this and Cap by Mr Coates below. One of the better titles coming from Marvel Comics along with Cap , Venom and Immortal Hulk .

Captain America (Vol. 8) (2018) #'s 4 - 6 ( 3 issues): wow this is my first time reading something by Mr. Coates and I don't know if this is usual style but he seems to be channelling Brubakers Cap with the political intrigue and what seems to be spiritual sequel to secret empire in the sense that we are basically dealing with the fall out of that series. Leinel Yu's artwork is the best it's been in a long time...perhaps because they aren't double shipping this series . This along with Venom are the best two marvel comics I 've read since Brubakers Cap. There I said it.

Catwoman (Vol. 5) (2018) # s 4 - 6 (3 issues): a fun yarn with great story and art by Joelle Jones dealing with the fallout /lack there of of Selina ditching Bruce at the altar and not wanting to deal with it, moves to a new city , where a corrupt governors wife wants to get rid of Catwoman , fearing that Selina will put a stop to her nefarious affairs.

Return of Wolverine (2018) # 4: i still don't know where the series is going by that being said i actually enjoyed this issue a little more despite the fact that very little happens.

The Green Lantern (2018) # 2 - 3 (2 issues): Meh. I really want to like the series but it's been 3 issues now, and i still cant tell what morrisons trying to say. However Liam Sharp s art is to die for. For those of you like me, who find morrisons work to be hit or miss, I think this is more final crisis then JLA

Guardians of the Galaxy (Vol. 5) (2019) # 1: Wow! I haven't read the guardians of the galaxy in a long time and i picked this up because of Donny Cates Venom. I think i'm hooked by all the new interesting things that there are going to be in the series plus hopefully we some Darkhawk! Also it looks like Mr Shaw has kicked up his art game!

Infinity Wars Prime # 1 , Infinity Wars (2018) #'s 1 - 6 Infinity Wars Iron Hammer #s 1- 2 , Infinity Wars Soldier Supreme # 1- 2, Thanos Legacy # 1 , Infinity Wars Weapon Hex #'s 1 - 2, Infinity Wars ArachKnight # 1 - 2 , Infinity Wars Ghost Panther #'s 1 - 2, Infinty Warps #s 1 -2 , Infinity Wars Sleepwalker #'s 1 - 4, Infinity Wars Fallen Guardian # 1 , Infinity Wars Infinity # 1 . (28 issues) :

After reading the new Guardians of the Galaxy, I felt like I had to go back and read the infinity Wars now despite its flaws and the fact that Marvel's checklist/ reading order is actually wrong, I did enjoy it. Gerry Duggan has a great handle on most of the characters and Deodato doesn't miss a beat in terms of art on the main series. I found that some of the tie ins were hit and miss but I did enjoy Soldier Supreme which was the combo of Doctor Strange and Captain America, iron hammer which was the combination of Thor and Ironman and the Sleepwalker Mini. I did feel like part of the of the reason I I found this here he's flawed was it did seem like it existed only to get some characters and story Beats from point A to point B and to set up the new Guardians of the Galaxy and the 10 realms storyline over in Thor all in all if you can get these issues for cheap then go for it.

Supergirl (Vol. 6)(2016) #'s 25 - 26 (3 issues) : I've been loving this totally underrated series. Andreyko and Maguire have put Kara on an interesting cosmic adventure while investigating why Rogol Zaar destroyed Krypton and This last issue had The Omega Men! 'Nuff Said!

Marvel Knights (Vol. 2) (2018) # s 1 - 6 ( 6 issues): Ok. I didn't know what to make of this series but you had me at Donny Cates and Matthew Rosenberg . I really liked the character interactions between a amnesiac Frank Castle as a cop and Bruce Banner and Matthew Murdock an Electra and Black Panther coming together to try to find out what is going on in this universe. That was really fun and interesting. Also the fact that there is a character thatCates himself brought back in his doctor strange run is also interesting however you have to question whether it was real or not. The same can be said for a mysterious Dead character who it'r not clear whether this person actually returned or not. These uncertainties along with the question of this mini being in continuity or not is never answered and that is what ruined this otherwise good and fun series.

Man Without Fear (2019) #'s 1 - 5 (5 issues) :
    Now I don't know what to make of this series either. I did like it. Maybe because I read all 5 issues together . Beyurths art is really good. The thing i didn't like was that it was too similar to what we saw happen in the marvel Knights series with the use of a ghost of a certain dead character and also the fact that Matt was hallunicating yet again after that series and the end if Soules 'run. I guess they're really trying to push the fact that Matt was really injured and that it took its toll. Anyway looking forward to the new Volume of Daredevil next.week!

Justice League Odyssey (2018) #'s 1 - 5 (5 issues): totally enjoying this just for the interaction between Cyborg, Jess, Starfire and Azrael alone ! Williamson, Briones and Sejic are doing a phenomenal job!!

Total issues for the Year so far : 89
    Last edited by Gotham Thrasher; 02-02-2019 at 01:00 AM.
    And then there were none...

Custom Binding Thread: http://community.comicbookresources....0645aadbab2369

The All Purpose Metal Thread : http://community.comicbookresources....5299bbaefeffe8

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Thrasher View Post
    Okay! Didn't think I was going to partake this year because all hell is about break loose for me personally but I thought I should At least challenge myself to try to read one comic a day...at the very least I can enjoy that one thing that day! So here we go again!

Action Comics #1006 : still don't know what to make of Bendis' run on the super books but I'm enjoying them much more than I thought I would so I guess that's a plus.

Freedom Fighters (Vol. 3) (2018) # 1 : an interesting start to the new series which sets up the history of Rebirth Continuity Earth X.

Hawkman (Vol. 5) (2018) #'s 5 - 8 (4 issues) : loving this series! Venditti & Hitch are on fire with an interesting plot, great art and also loved seeing the classic team up and interesting with Ray Palmer/ The Atom! New origin is an interesting addition to the Hawks mythology. Totally underrated series!

Champions (2019) # 1: hmm I wanted to like this and while I enjoyed Cummings art. Unfortunately, I found the writing lacking substance with little characterization and no plot. Shocking cliffhanger at the end but unfortunately I don't care enough to come back.

Justice League Dark (Vol. 2) (2018) # 3, Wonder Woman and Justice League Dark: The Witching Hour # 1, Wonder Woman (Vol. 5) (2016) # 56, Justice League Dark (Vol. 2) (2018) # 4, Wonder Woman (Vol. 5) (2016) #57 and justice league dark and Wonder Woman the witching hour # 1 (8 issues)

Young Justice (Vol. 2) ( 2019) # 1: really loved this book despite Bendis and it's great to see the gang( Tim, Bart and Cassie) back together...as for the missing party ...no Spoilers lol.

Martian Manhunter (Vol.5 ) ( 2018) # 2: ok Orlando's writing was little clearer here . His best scenes are the ones with J'onn and his human partner. But the flashback scenes this issue were better then last issue because Orlando tuned down the weird way J'onn and his wife were speaking. I find Orlando does this a lot when portraying aliens in his comics and I find it annoying to be honest. Rossomo's art is what it is. Ironically again , I thought it was best in the scenes with J'onn and his human partner.

The Punisher (2016) #s 218 - 228 , The Punisher (Vol. 12) (2018) #'s 1 - 5, ( 16 issues): A nice return to form for Frank in the more then capable hands of Matt Rosenberg! A spiritual successor to secret Empire and with Sam Jackson/Nick Fury acting strange in both this and Cap by Mr Coates below. One of the better titles coming from Marvel Comics along with Cap , Venom and Immortal Hulk .

Captain America (Vol. 8) (2018) #'s 4 - 6 ( 3 issues): wow this is my first time reading something by Mr. Coates and I don't know if this is usual style but he seems to be channelling Brubakers Cap with the political intrigue and what seems to be spiritual sequel to secret empire in the sense that we are basically dealing with the fall out of that series. Leinel Yu's artwork is the best it's been in a long time...perhaps because they aren't double shipping this series . This along with Venom are the best two marvel comics I 've read since Brubakers Cap. There I said it.

Catwoman (Vol. 5) (2018) # s 4 - 6 (3 issues): a fun yarn with great story and art by Joelle Jones dealing with the fallout /lack there of of Selina ditching Bruce at the altar and not wanting to deal with it, moves to a new city , where a corrupt governors wife wants to get rid of Catwoman , fearing that Selina will put a stop to her nefarious affairs.

Return of Wolverine (2018) # 4: i still don't know where the series is going by that being said i actually enjoyed this issue a little more despite the fact that very little happens.

The Green Lantern (2018) # 2 - 3 (2 issues): Meh. I really want to like the series but it's been 3 issues now, and i still cant tell what morrisons trying to say. However Liam Sharp s art is to die for. For those of you like me, who find morrisons work to be hit or miss, I think this is more final crisis then JLA

Guardians of the Galaxy (Vol. 5) (2019) # 1: Wow! I haven't read the guardians of the galaxy in a long time and i picked this up because of Donny Cates Venom. I think i'm hooked by all the new interesting things that there are going to be in the series plus hopefully we some Darkhawk! Also it looks like Mr Shaw has kicked up his art game!

Infinity Wars Prime # 1 , Infinity Wars (2018) #'s 1 - 6 Infinity Wars Iron Hammer #s 1- 2 , Infinity Wars Soldier Supreme # 1- 2, Thanos Legacy # 1 , Infinity Wars Weapon Hex #'s 1 - 2, Infinity Wars ArachKnight # 1 - 2 , Infinity Wars Ghost Panther #'s 1 - 2, Infinty Warps #s 1 -2 , Infinity Wars Sleepwalker #'s 1 - 4, Infinity Wars Fallen Guardian # 1 , Infinity Wars Infinity # 1 . (28 issues) :

After reading the new Guardians of the Galaxy, I felt like I had to go back and read the infinity Wars now despite its flaws and the fact that Marvel's checklist/ reading order is actually wrong, I did enjoy it. Gerry Duggan has a great handle on most of the characters and Deodato doesn't miss a beat in terms of art on the main series. I found that some of the tie ins were hit and miss but I did enjoy Soldier Supreme which was the combo of Doctor Strange and Captain America, iron hammer which was the combination of Thor and Ironman and the Sleepwalker Mini. I did feel like part of the of the reason I I found this here he's flawed was it did seem like it existed only to get some characters and story Beats from point A to point B and to set up the new Guardians of the Galaxy and the 10 realms storyline over in Thor all in all if you can get these issues for cheap then go for it.

Supergirl (Vol. 6)(2016) #'s 25 - 26 (3 issues) : I've been loving this totally underrated series. Andreyko and Maguire have put Kara on an interesting cosmic adventure while investigating why Rogol Zaar destroyed Krypton and This last issue had The Omega Men! 'Nuff Said!

Marvel Knights (Vol. 2) (2018) # s 1 - 6 ( 6 issues): Ok. I didn't know what to make of this series but you had me at Donny Cates and Matthew Rosenberg . I really liked the character interactions between a amnesiac Frank Castle as a cop and Bruce Banner and Matthew Murdock an Electra and Black Panther coming together to try to find out what is going on in this universe. That was really fun and interesting. Also the fact that there is a character thatCates himself brought back in his doctor strange run is also interesting however you have to question whether it was real or not. The same can be said for a mysterious Dead character who it'r not clear whether this person actually returned or not. These uncertainties along with the question of this mini being in continuity or not is never answered and that is what ruined this otherwise good and fun series.

Man Without Fear (2019) #'s 1 - 5 (5 issues) :
    Now I don't know what to make of this series either. I did like it. Maybe because I read all 5 issues together . Beyurths art is really good. The thing i didn't like was that it was too similar to what we saw happen in the marvel Knights series with the use of a ghost of a certain dead character and also the fact that Matt was hallunicating yet again after that series and the end if Soules 'run. I guess they're really trying to push the fact that Matt was really injured and that it took its toll. Anyway looking forward to the new Volume of Daredevil next.week!

Justice League Odyssey (2018) #'s 1 - 5 (5 issues): totally enjoying this just for the interaction between Cyborg, Jess, Starfire and Azrael alone ! Williamson, Briones and Sejic are doing a phenomenal job!!

Total issues for the Year so far : 89
    I feel you
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Thrashing Like a Maniac! Gotham Thrasher's Avatar

Hahaha! Thank you Enigma! May we both surprise ourselves and read much more then our expectations!
    And then there were none...

Custom Binding Thread: http://community.comicbookresources....0645aadbab2369

The All Purpose Metal Thread : http://community.comicbookresources....5299bbaefeffe8

Here's my first post for 2019!

1. Amazing Spiderman (2018) 12
    2. Amazing Spiderman (2018) 13
    3. Avengers (2018) 12
    4. Avengers (2018) 13
    5. Conan (2019) 1
    6. Daredevil 609
    7. Defenders- Best Defense 1: What a weird and wild mini-event. This was a total surprise and a wonderful love letter to the totally bizarre and entertaining spirit of classic Defenders stories.
    8.Doctor Strange 7
    9.Doomsday Clock 8- This might be my favorite issue so far. If the series continues this quality, it looks like our patience will be rewarded with an awesome ending.
    10. Fantastic Four(2018) 4
    11. Fantastic Four (2018) 5
    12. Fantastic Four (2018) 6--- This series is losing steam already for me. I love Doom, but Slott's version isn't quite doing it for me yet. i'm giving this series one more issue to change my mind.
    13. Flash 59
    14. Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman 1
    15. Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman 2--- I wasn't planning on getting this Spidey series, but Taylor writes a good Peter Parker. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.
    16. Green Lantern (2018) 2
    17. Guardians of the Galaxy (2019) 1
    18. Hawkman (2018) 5
    19. Immortal Hulk 10
    20. Immortal Hulk 11
    21. Immortal Hulk 12----I love this run so much. It's the crown jewel of Marvel's entire line right now.
    22. Invaders (2019) 1--- Guardians is going to get a lot of attention(and so far it looks worth it), but I have a feeling that this series is going to be the sleeper classic of 2019.
    23. Martian Manhunter 1---- Worst book I've read in a while. It's a cross between Mr. Miracle and Hawkworld in all the worst ways.
    24. Superior Spiderman 1
    25. Superior Spiderman 2--- Another surprise book I didn't expect to like, but I did. A really strong first issue and number 2 is fun too. If I drop this book, it will be entirely budget based. It's definitely worth checking out.
    26. What If Magik became Sorcerer Supreme 1--- Great short one shot story. This is what the whole What If concept is all about. Great story.
    27. Justice League (1987) 1
    28. Justice League (1987) 2
    29. Justice League (1987) 3
    30. Justice League (1987) 4
    31. Justice League (1987) 5
    32. Justice League (1987) 6
    33. Justice League (1987) 7---- Starting to re-read this classic run for the first time in decades. So fun. I missed you guys!
    34. Heroes in Crisis 4
    35. Heroes in Crisis 5

I think that's a respectable start to the new year. I'm planning on reading a bunch of Post-Crisis DC this year. Some of the titles I'll be revisiting. Others will be brand new to me (I never read Peter David's Wonderwoman and hope to get to that this year). i also picked up a bunch of Hellboy trades and can't wait to dig through those.

Onward to 1000!
    Last edited by General Woundwart; 02-03-2019 at 02:20 PM.

Fantastic Member Captain Buttocks's Avatar

Probably get nowhere near 1,000 but here's my January reads..

The Omega Men TBP - Wasnt feeling it at first but brought me round with some solid, solid storytelling. (12 issues)
    Domino #9 & 10 - Read it cos Longshot is in it (my fave character) - solid, albeit rushed story with some up-and-down art
    Runaways #16 & 17 - as comfy as my slippers
    Saga volumes 1-9 - fantastic (54 issues)

Thats 70 issues in total. Not bad. Got New Frontier and the Goon volume 4 to look at this month, and eyeing up some Giant Days hardcovers

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Buttocks View Post
    Probably get nowhere near 1,000 but here's my January reads..

The Omega Men TBP - Wasnt feeling it at first but brought me round with some solid, solid storytelling. (12 issues)
    Domino #9 & 10 - Read it cos Longshot is in it (my fave character) - solid, albeit rushed story with some up-and-down art
    Runaways #16 & 17 - as comfy as my slippers
    Saga volumes 1-9 - fantastic (54 issues)

Thats 70 issues in total. Not bad. Got New Frontier and the Goon volume 4 to look at this month, and eyeing up some Giant Days hardcovers
    With you on Omega Men. Took a little bit to get going, but when it did, it was fabulous.

Mighty Member

update:

Secret Warriors Omni (33) - For this collection to center around either characters i don't really care for or characters i'm not familiar with, i was pleasantly surprised how well Hickman delivered here. Once i got settled in, the pace was nonstop, and i was looking forward to the next issue until the end.

Absolute Transmet v1 (18) - Ellis could fill a book with all the unique insults he throws around in this series. Some genuinely funny parts among the absurd, and the story somehow seems more relevant now almost 20 years later.

*I'm going to take a minute to rant about the disappointment of the quality of the Absolute line. A lot of these I've owned for years, either not opening or not reading, and recently flipping through several of them was highly disappointed in the condition of the binding. Frankly, I'm surprised this doesn't come up more often, because at the frequency I've seen I refuse to believe it's coincidence or "bad luck". Maybe I expect more than others, but these aren't cheap. I've been really pleased with DC's omnibus line lately, but Absolutes are supposed to be a cut above. I'm seriously considering selling these off and not supporting anymore. Transmet v1 & v2, B&R Reborn, Batman Inc., Authority v2 etc all with various block separation, excessive cracking, miscut pages, pages stuck together. Ridiculous.

Farmhand TP v1 (5) - Enjoyed the humor from Chew, so i gave this a shot. More of the same from Guillory, and was pretty satisfied with his writing on this as well. He does introduce a lot of plot lines in the first 5 issues, so we'll see how he manages to address them as the series moves forward.

Kick-Ass TP v1-2 (13) - My interest in Millar has waned as I've gotten older, but these first to arcs hold up pretty well and were still funny in parts. (The new trades publish the story chronologically, so v2 was the Hit-Girl mini)

Black Hammer TP v3 (5) - After much anticipation, we finally get some answers about the farm and how they all got there.

Pestilence TP v1-2 (11) - What if the plague was really a zombie outbreak covered up by the Church? That's the basic premise of this story, with the follow-up delving deeper into the supernatural. Decent, not great

85 + 85 = 170 fty
    Last edited by awayne83; 02-09-2019 at 04:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    update:

*I'm going to take a minute to rant about the disappointment of the quality of the Absolute line. A lot of these I've owned for years, either not opening or not reading, and recently flipping through several of them was highly disappointed in the condition of the binding. Frankly, I'm surprised this doesn't come up more often, because at the frequency I've seen I refuse to believe it's coincidence or "bad luck". Maybe I expect more than others, but these aren't cheap. I've been really pleased with DC's omnibus line lately, but Absolutes are supposed to be a cut above. I'm seriously considering selling these off and not supporting anymore. Transmet v1 & v2, B&R Reborn, Batman Inc., Authority v2 etc all with various block separation, excessive cracking, miscut pages, pages stuck together. Ridiculous.
    reading this I'm so glad I went with the trades. Got a deal on them on ebay for £60 which is £90 cheaper than the 3 Absolutes. If an omnibus comes along I'll probably upgrade but I just couldn't make myself spend that extra money on the absolutes (even tho I know I'll love the guff out of the series).

latest:

Grayson The Superspy 26
    much better than I expected it to be, lot of fun, some cool concepts and even the Robin Wars event was entertaining (and important for later stuff). Fans of Robin and Nightwing or Archer and James Bond should give this a shot I think.
    Nightwing Rebirth deluxe v1 15
    Not as good as Grayson, I really liked Seeley's Revival and this just doesn't feel like the same writer. Some of the writing is very forced and clunky but over all it is engaging enough and the art is pretty good, I'll be checking out further volumes.
    JLI omnibus 40
    Heard it from multiple sources that this book starts out well and then sags badly in the middle but I was entertained throughout the whole thing. Loved this wacky, comedic take on the League and Maguire's art style and storytelling elevated it to a whole new level. It's not even the jokes but just the way the action is set up and the scenes are played out, it's so different from anything else involving the League (huge kudos to Maguire and the second best artist on the book, Templeton)

Thats 81 issues
    Total: 165

Best of the batch: JLI issues drawn by Maguire, if I have to pick one it's the Guy Gardner vs Lobo one or the one where they're trying to set up the new JLI embassy and the whole building is falling apart (the last scene with Miracle landing the ship is just comedy gold).

Spectacular Member

2019 Week 5

Punisher Epic Collection 2 Circle of Blood (20 issues)
    Berserk 13-17 (240 pages, 55 issues)
    Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 1 Phantom Blood 1-3 (300 pages, 39 issues)

Total for the week: 114
    Total for the year: 344

January: 261
    February:

OZ omnibus (43)
    I hate fairyland deluxe 1 (10)
    Pride of Baghdad deluxe (6)

Total: 320
    Last edited by JPAR; 02-15-2019 at 11:27 AM.