Page 4 of 222 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I first heard of Hal Jordan the moment I first heard of Green Lantern. My question was... so which one is this? Hal or Kyle?

My first read of him is in New 52 Justice League where he carries most of the joke and I immediately peg him as the dumb jock to Barry's nerd and the stupidly funny to Batman's comically serious comedic duo.

DIG007907_1._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Basically he's dumb is what I take from it

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I first heard of Hal Jordan the moment I first heard of Green Lantern. My question was... so which one is this? Hal or Kyle?

My first read of him is in New 52 Justice League where he carries most of the joke and I immediately peg him as the dumb jock to Barry's nerd and the stupidly funny to Batman's comically serious comedic duo.

Hal's showing in the first few arcs of the New 52 Justice League run is...not the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Hal's showing in the first few arcs of the New 52 Justice League run is...not the best.
    I wouldn't say anyone was with the except of Barry because he was just the nice guy.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Johns was aware the New-52 would bring in a lot of new readers so he probably decided to give the JL characters a rather "simpler" characterization, while if the new readers wanted to have a better understanding of their personalities, they would check out the standalone titles. The fact that they were all younger and less experienced perhaps also provided an excuse for them to be written in a somewhat unlikable fashion at times. Compare Johns' Amazo Virus or even Darkseid War arcs to JL Origin and it's like he's writing different characters.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Green Lantern has, from day one, always been my favorite DC hero, and Hal has always been my favorite Lantern.

Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Johns was aware the New-52 would bring in a lot of new readers so he probably decided to give the JL characters a rather "simpler" characterization, while if the new readers wanted to have a better understanding of their personalities, they would check out the standalone titles. The fact that they were all younger and less experienced perhaps also provided an excuse for them to be written in a somewhat unlikable fashion at times. Compare Johns' Amazo Virus or even Darkseid War arcs to JL Origin and it's like he's writing different characters.
    It works. I like him.

My next venture for Hal was Green Lantern Secret Origin, where I see his more melancholy side as he reminisce about his dad and connect with Carol over missing fathers. His bravado still shows but I see this other side of him.

Also apparently, according to Hector Hammond, he gets laid a lot XD

I agree, Secret Origin is a great arc. Very enjoyable and accessible for new fans much like Rebirth.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Yeah. Sounds about right.

That's a terrible introduction to Hal. I'm sorry for that .

I hope you read some actual good and accurate portrayals of Hal shortly after.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Yeah. Sounds about right.

That's a terrible introduction to Hal. I'm sorry for that .

I hope you read some actual good and accurate portrayals of Hal shortly after.
    Hal was pretty bad but Green Arrow had it worse. Poor guy just kept getting made fun of.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

It works. I like him.

My next venture for Hal was Green Lantern Secret Origin, where I see his more melancholy side as he reminisce about his dad and connect with Carol over missing fathers. His bravado still shows but I see this other side of him.

Also apparently, according to Hector Hammond, he gets laid a lot XD
    OK good. I see you got a good second exposure to Hal. That's a great story and a great intro as well. Probably one of my favorite stories of Hal. Also I'm glad it erased the terrible Emerald dawn.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Hal was pretty bad but Green Arrow had it worse. Poor guy just kept getting made fun of.
    At least GA wasnt out of character and writen as an anoyying dumbass like Hal in new 52 JL.

Oh wait. Actually Green Arrow was written ooc since he wasn't written as an annoying dong.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    At least GA wasnt out of character and writen as an anoyying dumbass like Hal in new 52 JL.

Oh wait. Actually Green Arrow was written ooc since he wasn't written as an annoying dong.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Green Lantern has, from day one, always been my favorite DC hero, and Hal has always been my favorite Lantern.

BANNED

I feel weird when i see Hal with black hair, that doesn't feel like Hal, i'm so used to brown hair...