Page 106 of 222 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116156206 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,590 of 3319
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Guys, is it possible that DC Super Hero Girls isn't really for you? Just because you're a fan of Hal Jordan doesn't mean you are required to consume everything he appears in, particularly when it's proven to be something you don't enjoy. Why do this to yourselves? I honestly don't understand this constant need to get yourselves worked up over a Looney Toons-styled superhero show aimed at pre-pubescent kids.

How about just not watching this if you hate this depiction of Hal so much? If you are worried that these silly shorts are somehow poisoning kids' perception of Hal, let me assure you that my students still think Hal Jordan is awesome, even when he's acting like a self-centered dudebro. They think it's hilarious, and they can easily discern the difference between that Hal and the one they read about in the comics and see in all the other cartoons he's in, just as they can understand the difference between the Cyborg who appears in Teen Titans Go from the other one in the Justice League.

I watch those DCSHG shorts because I'm curious. For instance it's interesting to me why Hal hasn't used his ring even once on this show yet. For all I know it could lead to some good scene where he finally uses it and starts to move on from being such a coward in this version. I fully understand I'm not the target audience and at this point I'm not worried about bad public perception towards Hal(the 2011 movie already made sure of that), it's more about some type of of morbid curiosity where I'm wondering where this version of the character could go, and also due to the fact that it's the only place to see him outside of comics currently.

I don't really have anything against the new DCSHG. It's a pretty fun and vibrant show most of the time, I like the art style, voice cast, energy, etc.

I do think their use of the male heroes in contrast to the female heroes is a little bit much. Especially in contrast to the original where the portrayal of the female heroes vs. the male heroes felt much more even-handed.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't really have anything against the new DCSHG. It's a pretty fun and vibrant show most of the time, I like the art style, voice cast, energy, etc.

I do think their use of the male heroes in contrast to the female heroes is a little bit much. Especially in contrast to the original where the portrayal of the female heroes vs. the male heroes felt much more even-handed.
    I think that's more a byproduct of the more bombastic "edgier" tone that this new incarnation of DC Super Hero Girls is taking, so the underlying "Grrls RULE! Boys DOOL!" shtick is simply a part of that. They're just playing to their audience who's grown slightly older and want their toys to reflect their own frustrations with gender politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think that's more a byproduct of the more bombastic "edgier" tone that this new incarnation of DC Super Hero Girls is taking, so the underlying "Grrls RULE! Boys DOOL!" shtick is simply a part of that. They're just playing to their audience who's grown slightly older and want their toys to reflect their own frustrations with gender politics.
    I mean, I don't think "edgier" is the right term, even if I think it is definitely less rosy-sweet then the old DCSHG.

That kind of stance on gender politics just seems a little too old-fashioned for my tastes. I'm not sure if that's what modern kids still feel like, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I watch those DCSHG shorts because I'm curious. For instance it's interesting to me why Hal hasn't used his ring even once on this show yet. For all I know it could lead to some good scene where he finally uses it and starts to move on from being such a coward in this version. I fully understand I'm not the target audience and at this point I'm not worried about bad public perception towards Hal(the 2011 movie already made sure of that), it's more about some type of of morbid curiosity where I'm wondering where this version of the character could go, and also due to the fact that it's the only place to see him outside of comics currently.
    If your morbid curiosity is worth the obvious frustration and disappointment this show seems to be dredging up, I guess you should keep watching. Maybe they'll be a payoff in the end, but, if Hal does end up doing something cool, you'll find about it without having to hate-watch each new clip that comes out.

I think you simply wallowing in pointless negativity is not a particularly worthwhile use of your time. Why not use that time to read an old Hal comic or cartoon in which he isn't being depicted as a comedic self-centered Dudebro?

I mean, I don't think "edgier" is the right term, even if I think it is definitely less rosy-sweet then the old DCSHG.

That kind of stance on gender politics just seems a little too old-fashioned for my tastes. I'm not sure if that's what modern kids still feel like, but that's just me.
    Again, we are not the target audience for this show.

Again, we are not the target audience for this show.
    I mean, I never said I was, and I probably wasn't the original target audience for the original DCSGH, but I did still enjoy it .

Just offering my perspective is all.

I mean, I never said I was, and I probably wasn't the original target audience for the original DCSGH, but I did still enjoy it .

Just offering my perspective is all.
    And I appreciate your perspective.

To be clear, I am not trying to lecture anyone here, but we all seem to be engaging in weird cycle of the same outrage, disgust and resentment anytime a new DC Super Hero Girls gets posted that I simply don't understand the purpose of.

If this is not a depiction of Hal Jordan you enjoy, that's perfectly understandable, but continuing to watch and get upset about something designed to entertain small children doesn't seem like a very healthy expression of our fandom.

If your morbid curiosity is worth the obvious frustration and disappointment this show seems to be dredging up, I guess you should keep watching. Maybe they'll be a payoff in the end, but, if Hal does end up doing something cool, you'll find about it without having to hate-watch each new clip that comes out.

I think you simply wallowing in pointless negativity is not a particularly worthwhile use of your time. Why not use that time to read an old Hal comic or cartoon in which he isn't being depicted as a comedic self-centered Dudebro?
    I wouldn't call it pointless negativity, like I said currently it's the only place to see Hal outside of comics and I'm interested to see where the character goes. I don't watch those clips just to hate on them on principle, if something should happen to annoy me, then I could express myself about it, despite that I'm not the target audience. Those DTV Lego Justice League movies are also catered to a younger audience, yet I thought Hal was really well portrayed there.

The following isn't aimed at anyone specifically, but I think it's something that needs to be said from time to time.

I love Hal Jordan. He's awesome and my favorite superhero hands down (whereas Superman is my favorite fictional character who transcends the genre he helped create). He's got the best costume in comics. His powers are fantastic and his entire premise is the greatest platform for superhero space opera ever concieved for my money.

However, I don't view Hal Jordan as corporate product that I am obligated to consume, particularly if it isn't to my liking. Hal Jordan is more than yet another piece of intellectual property owned by a giant multinational corporation that views the character only in terms of potential profit and loss.

To me, he's an idea that inspires me to be better in my own life. His qualities of fearlessness and honesty have made me a better person, beyond how much entertainment I have gotten from his adventures.

Why not spend more time appreciating the character and everything that makes him special to us and less on endlessly complaining about every perceived slight.

I understand the value of venting our frustrations with like-minded fans. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's also important to not focus too much attention on the negative because that's exactly what Hal Jordan would do.

Hal Jordan doesn’t waste his time complaining about the $#/+ he can't do anything about. Hal Jordan gets the job done and has a great time while doing it.

I wouldn't call it pointless negativity, like I said currently it's the only place to see Hal outside of comics and I'm interested to see where the character goes. I don't watch those clips just to hate on them on principle, if something should happen to annoy me, then I could express myself about it, despite that I'm not the target audience. Those DTV Lego Justice League movies are also catered to a younger audience, yet I thought Hal was really well portrayed there.
    Fair enough. If you are getting something of value out of watching these clips, then you should. However, I think you've got to understand what this show is going for and it's not meant to be a showcase for how cool Hal Jordan is.

If you are waiting for it to do so, I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment

I'm not even all that bothered by Hal's treatment on DCSHG (well, beyond my overall issues) it just felt like the only appropriate place to bring up my issues with how they treat male heroes in general since it came up again .

I am kind of glad they didn't bring Josh Keaton back for Hal, even if he looks kind of like Keaton would've fit here. But I'd rather Keaton voice Hal for better appearances then this.

I'm not even all that bothered by Hal's treatment on DCSHG (well, beyond my overall issues) it just felt like the only appropriate place to bring up my issues with how they treat male heroes in general since it came up again .

I am kind of glad they didn't bring Josh Keaton back for Hal, even if he looks kind of like Keaton would've fit here. But I'd rather Keaton voice Hal for better appearances then this.
    Yeah, Keaton has been killing it as Dudebro Aquaman, so he'd do great with this version, too. It's a shame that Keaton's Aquaman and Fillion's smart-ass Hal don't get much time to bounce off each other.

At one point, they had Keaton playing Barry to Fillion's Hal. That was a great match.

Astonishing Member

Well, in the latest episode she called him to remind him that it was "picture day" and then helped him block Carol on his phone, because apparently he didn't know how to do it himself. Ugh. I guess she does see him as her dimwitted friend of sorts that she otherwise doesn't seem to care all that much about.

And I guess this Hal likes boy bands, too? They seriously gave him every lame stereotype there was to give.

So I guess Hal and Jess might be friends here.

Amazing that Jessica here is so different.