Page 160 of 222 FirstFirst ... 60110150156157158159160161162163164170210 ... LastLast
Results 2,386 to 2,400 of 3319

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I feel like Hal right now is quietly getting some of the best books right now. GL Earth One, Morrison on GL, the upcoming team-up Batman and Hex, and the upcoming Blackstar stuff.
    Maybe it's good to be a bit under the radar these days. Much better than when there were NO stories of Hal as the heroic GL.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I feel like Hal right now is quietly getting some of the best books right now. GL Earth One, Morrison on GL, the upcoming team-up Batman and Hex, and the upcoming Blackstar stuff.
    I agree. Despite getting little love in outside media, his comics stuff has been amazing lately.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    Great point. Hal and Bruce is always a fun team-up too. Also Hal and Roy. It's a bit strange, isn't it? Like Hal's "disconnect" from Earth should make him one of the least approachable people and yet, he almost gets along well with everyone. Maybe he's just been exposed to too many different cultures to the point where he can pretty much adapt himself to any kind of person?

As a character, Hal's definitely larger than life and more like Bruce and Clark in a sense, but at the same time, there's something strangely down to earth about him. Like the dude goes on road trips, crashes on his friends' couches -- stuff you'd never see Bruce or Clark do. And at the same time, his idea of a vacation is taking a trip to some medieval fantasy planet.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Variant cover by Darick Robertson.

I thought black was supposed to make one look skinny.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Maybe it's good to be a bit under the radar these days. Much better than when there were NO stories of Hal as the heroic GL.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    There's gold in them hills. Waid & Kitson only scratched the surface and were stuck with the ridiculous Post-Crisis retcons. That many iconic characters at the start of their careers is too great an idea to lay dormant for long
    Agreed. And yet - I watched the JL Origin film based on the Johns/Lee run, and was surprised at how... ordinary it was.

I get that not everybody does scale like Grant Morrison, but lots of other writers did it in the old days - Wein, Englehart, Conway, etc.

I think the JL Origin arc just isn't a very good source material to adapt in other media. But you can tell that was basically how Johns wrote it, he knew that since it was the first arc of the New 52, it was going to be featured all over the place so he wrote it in a rather simplistic fashion: a group of heroes who don't get along fighting off an alien invasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I think the JL Origin arc just isn't a very good source material to adapt in other media. But you can tell that was basically how Johns wrote it, he knew that since it was the first arc of the New 52, it was going to be featured all over the place so he wrote it in a rather simplistic fashion: a group of heroes who don't get along fighting off an alien invasion.
    Yeah, that was absolutely the intention. To give a modern version of the origin that outside media could adapt. As a result, all the characters were "turned up to 11", as Johns once said, so that everyone was easily distinguished from each other. I think it was successful in that regard, but I'd rather someone do a more long-form version of the JLA's early years that works as a comic book rather than a blueprint for a multi-media adaptation.

Cooke's New Frontier is still one of my favorite DC stories ever, but I'd like to see what happens next, after the team is already formed. I want to see young, wet behind the ears, rookies like Barry & Hal navigate working within a team with Superman, Batman & Wonder Woman, while J'Onn & Arthur deal with finally operating in open after being hidden for so long.

Add in Dinah right after she decided to assume her mother's mantle, and a young, swaggering Ollie into mix, that's a recipe for a potentially great story.

Yeah, that was absolutely the intention. To give a modern version of the origin that outside media could adapt. As a result, all the characters were "turned up to 11", as Johns once said, so that everyone was easily distinguished from each other. I think it was successful in that regard, but I'd rather someone do a more long-form version of the JLA's early years that works as a comic book rather than a blueprint for a multi-media adaptation.

Cooke's New Frontier is still one of my favorite DC stories ever, but I'd like to see what happens next, after the team is already formed. I want to see young, wet behind the ears, rookies like Barry & Hal navigate working within a team with Superman, Batman & Wonder Woman, while J'Onn & Arthur deal with finally operating in open after being hidden for so long.

Add in Dinah right after she decided to assume her mother's mantle, and a young, swaggering Ollie into mix, that's a recipe for a potentially great story.
    Yeah, Johns really dropped the ball by not really exploring that with all those personalities working together and becoming a team after the Darkseid invasion. Instead of jumping 5 years, the second arc should have introduced Martian Manhunter and been all about the JLA finding how to be a team, but that's me...

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Yeah, Johns really dropped the ball by not really exploring that with all those personalities working together and becoming a team after the Darkseid invasion. Instead of jumping 5 years, the second arc should have introduced Martian Manhunter and been all about the JLA finding how to be a team, but that's me...
    It's not really fair to Johns to blame him. He was given pretty clear marching orders from Didio. Give the New 52 Justice League an origin, then jump ahead to the present. His original idea wasn't even supposed to be an origin story. Flashpoint wasn't meant to be a reboot, just another continuity revamp. Johns & Lee were going to relaunch the Justice League comic as the already established team with Cyborg joining to help stop the latest invasion by Darkseid after being upgraded with a mother box.

The New 52 was a bit of an organizational disaster...to say the least.

It's not really fair to Johns to blame him. He was given pretty clear marching orders from Didio. Give the New 52 Justice League an origin, then jump ahead to the present. His original idea wasn't even supposed to be an origin story. Flashpoint wasn't meant to be a reboot, just another continuity revamp. Johns & Lee were going to relaunch the Justice League comic as the already established team with Cyborg joining to help stop the latest invasion by Darkseid after being upgraded with a mother box.

Really? That's interesting - I had no idea about any of that.

Is that the Hal from "Red Son?"

I still am curious to know what the original plan was.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I still am curious to know what the original plan was.
    I think we could probably get a glimmer of it from that old teaser art that had other heroes on it like Hawkman, Green Arrow (with the goatee), alongside the League.

This was back when Wonder Woman was still sporting pants.