Page 153 of 222 FirstFirst ... 53103143149150151152153154155156157163203 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,295 of 3319
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ellingham View Post
    I've heard this too. There's actually a few different perspectives on what led to DC cancelling vol. 2.

I suspect the ultimate reason was sales, which Waid alluded to in his last-issue editorial. When Englehart took over the book, he coordinated with Marv Wolfman to make the GL series integral to Crisis. He brought back Guy Gardner, and deftly juggled John and Hal through it.

Sales increased quite a bit that year, so they elected to make GL a team book.

Six months in, DC committed to Englehart's Millennium crossover pitch. But by that point, GLC was no longer doing big numbers - the buzz from Crisis was gone. Then Millennium tanked, dragging down volume 2 in the process. Then you have that editorial tug of war.

I'd been reading GL a couple years by then, but I stopped reading in the leadup to that mini. I'm guessing DC saw ACW as the lowest-risk continuation available, which is how O'Neil gained control of GL.
    I think Englehart being pissed at DC also played into all this. From what I've heard, Millennium was not a great experience for anyone. It was a case of DC Editorial biting off more than it could chew with a weekly event that was trying to serve too many masters, and ended up satisfying none of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think Englehart being pissed at DC also played into all this. From what I've heard, Millennium was not a great experience for anyone. It was a case of DC Editorial biting off more than it could chew with a weekly event that was trying to serve too many masters, and ended up satisfying none of them.
    I guess I could kind of see how "hey everybody, we need you to turn an established supporting character into a servant for alien robots as part of an event" would kind of be a tough pill to swallow (but 'dems event comics).

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess I could kind of see how "hey everybody, we need you to turn an established supporting character into a servant for alien robots as part of an event" would kind of be a tough pill to swallow (but 'dems event comics).
    It doesn't help that Englehart's well-intentioned attempts to bring diversity to the DCU now comes off as painfully-stereotypical. I'll give Englehart credit for trying, but, oof, he really comes off as a sheltered white liberal who's never actually left his all-white neighbourhood. Don't know if that's true, but his writing of the Chosen was unintentionally hilarious.

That said, Englehart is, by far, one of the better writers of his generation of sheltered white liberal comic book writers.

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

I love The Road Back. The Third Law was another high point but then the quality just plummets. The editorial tug of war makes a lot of sense.

Also with Johnny in wanting Dorine for season 2, lol. If Morrison could bring back Eve, he can certainly bring back Dorine.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

I'm just excited from today's issue that not only is Carol mentioned and a big part of the next issue but Hal actually shows he still cares about her and acknowledges her existence .
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    I'm just excited from today's issue that not only is Carol mentioned and a big part of the next issue but Hal actually shows he still cares about her and acknowledges her existence .
    That was nice, even though he was talking about Carol from Earth-11. Maybe he knows her too.

Incredible Member

Well, the Star Sapphire they talked about is from genderswap Earth 11. And from the cover and solicitation for the next issue we can see Carol is still a female...
    Sorry, but honestly I'm a little disappointed that we won't see a Star Sapphire Carl Ferris or a cute female version of Hal.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    Well, the Star Sapphire they talked about is from genderswap Earth 11. And from the cover and solicitation for the next issue we can see Carol is still a female...
    Sorry, but honestly I'm a little disappointed that we won't see a Star Sapphire Carl Ferris or a cute female version of Hal.
    I'm glad to see (a) Carol again but I was hoping for this too!

I haven't read Morrison's Multiversity in a long time, but I thought Earth 11 Carol was stated to be female, just one who was a member of the "Justice Guild", instead of Hal or a gender-swapped version of him.
    Last edited by Johnny; 08-07-2019 at 07:57 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I haven't read Morrison's Multiversity in a long time, but I thought Earth 11 Carol was stated to be female, just one who was a member of the "Justice Guild", instead of Hal or a gender-swapped version of him.
    It only told Star Sapphire was a member of justice guild in Multiversity. We didn’t know the character’s name, gender or anything else.
    I used to think it would be a handsome black-haired man called Carl Ferris Jr. It could be more interesting if so.

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    It only told Star Sapphire was a member of justice guild in Multiversity. We didn’t know the character’s name, gender or anything else.
    I used to think it would be a handsome black-haired man called Carl Ferris Jr. It could be more interesting if so.
    What's also interesting to me is how concerned Hal was for her even though she isn't his Carol.

Comixology really needs to get this series into their catalog. It's been forever since I've read it.

Deep cut Hal. Deep cut .

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    That said, Englehart is, by far, one of the better writers of his generation of sheltered white liberal comic book writers.
    Yup. To his credit though, I think he fleshed out John Stewart for every writer who followed.

(In the comics, anyway. The Bruce Timm version is really a new character, just with the same name.)