Page 159 of 222 FirstFirst ... 59109149155156157158159160161162163169209 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,385 of 3319

Variant cover by Darick Robertson.

GREEN LANTERN: BLACKSTARS #1
    written by GRANT MORRISON
    art by XERMANICO
    cover by LIAM SHARP
    variant cover by DARICK ROBERTSON
    What has Hal Jordan done? Following the catastrophic events of The Green Lantern #12, no Green Lanterns can be found patrolling their space sectors...and not a single power ring lights the darkness. Across the universe, once-familiar faces now wear a different uniform and enforce a new type of galactic law. The Green Lantern Corps is dead—long live the Blackstars! Who are they? What are they? Answers will be revealed as the unstoppable Blackstars set their sights on the demons of Ysmault, Mongul...and a tiny, backwater planet called Earth. A dangerous new chapter of the Green Lantern mythology starts now!
    ON SALE 11.06.19
    $3.99 US |1 OF 3 |32 PAGES

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I'm currently not as annoyed by this show's portrayal of Hal as I used to be. Oliver is a pompous blowhard, Barry is an incompetent speedster, Carol is a crazy ex-girlfriend, Supergirl is somewhat of a bully, etc. Hal being a Superman fanboy who is comically full of himself isn't anymore unlikable than the rest of the changes for most of the characters. The fact that Hal keeps being portrayed as a goof in outside media is where my concern comes from, but otherwise this show isn't really doing much harm to the character.
    It's actually not such a bad show. They all have personality quirks and flaws and that's what makes it fun. Maybe Jessica they make a bit too perfect and is a bit boring but the rest are good.

Even my favorite of the main cast, Zatanna they make vain and a show off. I dont mind because it's a lot of fun and matches with the character herself being an entertainer.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    It's actually not such a bad show. They all have personality quirks and flaws and that's what makes it fun. Maybe Jessica they make a bit too perfect and is a bit boring but the rest are good.

Even my favorite of the main cast, Zatanna they make vain and a show off. I dont mind because it's a lot of fun and matches with the character herself being an entertainer.
    I guess for me it mostly boils down to the fact that we barely even see Hal in animation anymore, so whenever he does show up I'd like him to get a respectable portrayal. This show is obviously aimed at a younger audience so I don't expect a Justice League Unlimited level of writing, but I'm just not a fan whenever writers decide to basically wipe their ass with Hal for no reason. But again, I understand what they're going for with basically all the characters so I'm okay with it.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I am so looking forward to this story. Batman Universe has been amazing so far.

I guess for me it mostly boils down to the fact that we barely even see Hal in animation anymore, so whenever he does show up I'd like him to get a respectable portrayal. This show is obviously aimed at a younger audience so I don't expect a Justice League Unlimited level of writing, but I'm just not a fan whenever writers decide to basically wipe their ass with Hal for no reason. But again, I understand what they're going for with basically all the characters so I'm okay with it.
    Yeah, since the DCSHG reboot has been an equal opportunity offender in terms of portraying everyone as an idiot, I've enjoyed their take on the Hal/Carol relationship. The original DCSHG was too vanilla in that it didn't want to offend anyone. It was basically Barbie in DC cosplay. This new one is much more Looney Toons and has benefited greatly from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Yeah, since the DCSHG reboot has been an equal opportunity offender in terms of portraying everyone as an idiot, I've enjoyed their take on the Hal/Carol relationship. The original DCSHG was too vanilla in that it didn't want to offend anyone. It was basically Barbie in DC cosplay. This new one is much more Looney Toons and has benefited greatly from it.
    I mean, for the age group it was aimed at and what it was trying to do I think the original DCSHG was good. It didn't necessarily have the flair or style of the current reboot, but it had a lot of positive messages and positivity that I think are equally as important. It didn't need to offend anyone.

About the most offensive thing I think it did was when they introduced Black Canary as a criminal, when they have people like Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn, and Killer Frost as pure heroes (Catwoman was borderline).

I personally think the fact that it treated the female and male heroes as equals who work together is an improvement from the gender dynamics of the current show.

The idiot ball is definitely shared by both genders but when it comes to the male heroes it feels more negative and mean-spirited since they so often just end up being obstacles or even antagonists for the female heroes, and some even come off as genuinely sexist.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    It's amazing how great Hal works in so many different duos. Hal and Barry. Hal and Ollie. Hal and John. Hal and Guy. Hal and Wally. Hal and Kyle. Hal and Jessica. Only Batman has him beat for better team-up character in the DCU.

I'd love to see a team-up book with Hal and various DC heroes.
    A Bave and Bold title starring Hal? Count me in.

Epic.

Really looking forward to this.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Haha. I love it.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, for the age group it was aimed at and what it was trying to do I think the original DCSHG was good. It didn't necessarily have the flair or style of the current reboot, but it had a lot of positive messages and positivity that I think are equally as important. It didn't need to offend anyone.

About the most offensive thing I think it did was when they introduced Black Canary as a criminal, when they have people like Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn, and Killer Frost as pure heroes (Catwoman was borderline).

I personally think the fact that it treated the female and male heroes as equals who work together is an improvement from the gender dynamics of the current show.

The idiot ball is definitely shared by both genders but when it comes to the male heroes it feels more negative and mean-spirited since they so often just end up being obstacles or even antagonists for the female heroes, and some even come off as genuinely sexist.
    I haven't been following the show much these days (my students are knee-deep in Justice League Action now) so I couldn't comment on any sexism there may be. I think the original show was aiming at a younger audience and clearly did a great job of gaining a big audience. This new version is definitely aiming for a slightly older audience with its new 'edge'. Dunno if that's been as successful as the original was though.

Hope down the line there's another original JL line-up run, even if it's a limited series.

Hope down the line there's another original JL line-up run, even if it's a limited series.

I think it'll happen. Maybe not in the immediate future, but some day.

There's gold in them hills. Waid & Kitson only scratched the surface and were stuck with the ridiculous Post-Crisis retcons. That many iconic characters at the start of their careers is too great an idea to lay dormant for long

I feel like Hal right now is quietly getting some of the best books right now. GL Earth One, Morrison on GL, the upcoming team-up Batman and Hex, and the upcoming Blackstar stuff.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics