Page 62 of 222 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672112162 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    By far. One amazing season.

I liked Aya, and I imagine she would have seen growth had the show continued, but I'm not the biggest fan of the naive, infantilized babydoll trope she fell right into. Nor the super powerful female who turns evil because her feelings are hurt in the second arc. It didn't help that she was the only female and designed to look half naked.
    Yeah, I can see how Aya might come off as a bit creepy if the sexy was cranked up too much...

That said, I can say from experience that Aya and Razer have always been among the most popular characters when I show GL: TAS to my students, along with Hal. Aya resonates particularly well with the girls, even more so than Wonder Woman, Supergirl and Catwoman. Only Harley Quinn comes close in terms of popularity in my classes.

Not to get too sidetracked on the Hal thread, but it was more Aya's glassy-eyed naivete housed in the body of an adult woman that's the problematic trope for me. The "living doll /empty vessel" characterization...

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Could you tell me which character does come off well? Wonder Woman is a self-important princess, Supergirl is violent hot head, Batgirl is an obsessive-compulsive fangirl, Jess is an overzealous SJW, Zatanna is a drama queen, and Bumblebee is a complete dork. They are all flawed teenagers who are prone to being overly emotional, crazy, and straight-up incompetent based upon what I've watched so far. Granted, I haven't been paying close attention to it, like I said, I'm not really the audience for this, but from what I've seen doesn't seem all that far off from the craziness of Teen Titans Go which goes out of its way to portray its protagonists as complete idiots and fools.

I mean, does anyone think any of the girls come off well here? Again, this is not Justice League Unlimited, this is more like a Looney Toons by way of Teen Titans Go.
    The girls have their flaws, personality quirks, and are also rookies, but I also think the show does a good job of portraying that in-spite of that they are also true heroes with good intentions who will always come through in thick and thin to do the right thing and save the day.

In contrast Hal just comes off as shallow, dumb, insensitive, and too afraid of his ex-girlfriend to even use his ring.

I also don't think they come off as incompetent. They're still getting the hang of their powers and working together as a team, but I don't think they're incompetent.

I'd say it's more Justice League Action then Teen Titans Go!.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I miss Alan...
    Yeah, I can see how Aya might come off as a bit creepy if the sexy was cranked up too much...
    She doesn't come off as creepy to me, but the face looks kind of weird being so "real."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    By far. One amazing season.

I liked Aya, and I imagine she would have seen growth had the show continued, but I'm not the biggest fan of the naive, infantilized babydoll trope she fell right into. Nor the super powerful female who turns evil because her feelings are hurt in the second arc. It didn't help that she was the only female and designed to look half naked.
    I 'm not sure Aya actuqlly "turned evil". Her logic wasn't really that too far off for me.

Pain is bad. Pain is caused by living things. Eliminate living things, eliminate pain. I even like that Hal was able to talk and reason with Aya in the end.

That said, I can say from experience that Aya and Razer have always been among the most popular characters when I show GL: TAS to my students, along with Hal. Aya resonates particularly well with the girls, even more so than Wonder Woman, Supergirl and Catwoman. Only Harley Quinn comes close in terms of popularity in my classes.
    That gives me flashbacks to EDI in ME3. Thank God they didn’t sexulaize her that much although I’m doubtful the average comic book artist would be as restrained if she were to show up in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The girls have their flaws, personality quirks, and are also rookies, but I also think the show does a good job of portraying that in-spite of that they are also true heroes with good intentions who will always come through in thick and thin to do the right thing and save the day.

In contrast Hal just comes off as shallow, dumb, insensitive, and too afraid of his ex-girlfriend to even use his ring.

I also don't think they come off as incompetent. They're still getting the hang of their powers and working together as a team, but I don't think they're incompetent.

I'd say it's more Justice League Action then Teen Titans Go!.
    I think this latest incarnation of DC Super Hero Girls is skewing closer towards wacky comedy than Justice League Action (which also portrayed its heroes, including Hal, as less than competent for laughs), but I've only seen a few online shorts and the first couple of episodes, so presumably they'll grow into being heroes more. However, it's also possible that so will Hal. Like with Justice League Origin/War, the idea of starting Hal off as a reckless jackass was to see his growth as a hero by the end of the story. Johns's may have fumbled that in the second storyarc (which, I admit, I've completely forgotten about because it wasn't that memorable ), but he course corrected really well when he brought Hal back for The Darkseid War, which did a great job of showing how far Hal had come.

Obviously, Hal is never going to be the main focus of anything called DC Super Hero Girls, but his issues with Carol and his flaws are likely meant to be his starting point, not the end of his character development. If that's what they're doing with the girls, why would you think Hal would be exempt from the same thing?

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but it seems like there's far too much unnecessary hand-wringing about Hal on this thread recently than genuine appreciation of him as a character. When did we all become so overly-sensitive? Hal Jordan is a great character. He's my favorite superhero. However, as with all characters, he's gonna have some good stories, some bad stories, a lot of mediocre stories and a few absolutely great stories.

Since Morrison & Sharp appear to be on their way to delivering a truly great run with Hal Jordan worthy of Broome, Wolfman, Englehart, and Johns, I'd much rather focus on that than worrying about whether or not Hal's being portrayed correctly in a zany comedy cartoon aimed primarily at preteen girls

first... isn't anybody bothered with aya's feet here? how is she able to walk? boot magnets maybe?

and that drawing is really cranking up aya's costume. it's really skimpy compared to this.

I still don't understand why they never introduced Aya in the comics. She was the breakout character on the show. On one hand introducing a character in the comics just for the sake of it because they happened to be popular on a TV show doesn't always work all that well, like they tried to do with Felicity during the New-52 Green Arrow run, but Aya could've been amazing. They could've also used the opportunity to tweak her design a bit if they thought it was "problematic" for some reason.

I still don't understand why they never introduced Aya in the comics. She was the breakout character on the show. On one hand introducing a character in the comics just for the sake of it because they happened to be popular on a TV show doesn't always work all that well, like they tried to do with Felicity during the New-52 Green Arrow run, but Aya could've been amazing. They could've also used the opportunity to tweak her design a bit if they thought it was "problematic" for some reason.
    The Interceptor appeared (and in Doomsday Clock), so does that count on a technicality ?

Agree 100%

Aya, along with Razer, are some of the best additions to the GL mythos since Kilowog back in '87. I don't know why the new Aqualad was introduced, but Aya & Razer weren't. It's not like Venditti was busy creating something better in the long post-Johns drought of creativity.

I mean, we've got our backwards Interceptor, why not Aya & Razer with their costumes on backwards, too?

When was the last time the Red Lanterns even did anything? I don't remember seeing them after that first arc in Green Lanterns during Rebirth.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    When was the last time the Red Lanterns even did anything? I don't remember seeing them after that first arc in Green Lanterns during Rebirth.
    That was it for the Reds, as far as I remember. I remember Van Scriver was adamant about bringing the Red Lanterns back to their more mindless non-verbal rage-monster status quo that he originally intended, which would certainly kabosh any meaningful use of Razer. The animated versions of the Red Lanterns were pretty much Yellow Lanterns with anger issues, which I prefered to the more one-note versions Van Scriver wanted.

However, now that Van Scriver has ***holed his way out of the mainstream comics industry, perhaps DC will be more willing to introduce more GL: TAS-style Red Lanterns like Razer, along with Aya, for Hal to meet up with.

Incredible Member

This is the first time for me to realize Aya could be seen as half-naked... She is an android. I've always considered those were just components of her body instead of underwear.

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    This is the first time for me to realize Aya could be seen as half-naked... She is an android. I've always considered those were just components of her body instead of underwear.
    I was the same, until I googled Aya images, I did not fully understand how sexually she was perceived by some