Page 129 of 222 FirstFirst ... 2979119125126127128129130131132133139179 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,935 of 3319
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    That is a great image.

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret View Post
    I think it is a rather unnecessary retcon. I don't believe anyone cared that much about Martin until Geoff Johns made him a big deal in Hal's life. Having dead dad being the motivation is a tale as old as time, and nearly all heroes have some sort of dead parent figure being the catalyst for their heroism. I've always considered one of Hal's most definitive character traits is that he's someone who is just born a hero, not made into one. Nowadays people just love making heroes into these troubled souls burdened by ghosts of the past, which is cool, but I think it's refreshing to have someone like Hal who has such an innate, unwavering faith in himself.
    Apparently they think heroes need to be "deconstructed" in order to be more interesting in this day and age. That's what Zack Snyder thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    That is a great image.
    Shame Banks never got to draw GL Hal more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I liked it because I felt it added more to Hal then it took away but wasn't the sole defining thing that made Hal Hal.

Especially compared to how much the "dead mom" retcon has defined Barry the past few years.
    Yeah most of Hal’s stories have thankfully not revolved around his dead father, and they haven’t revealed Sinestro as the reason his dad died lol. It’s a bit of unnecessary tragedy imo but it’s not an overbearing development.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I think this is what makes Hal & Barry so great. I don't see the need to add any emotional stimuli to their backstories.

They were basically decent, heroic men from the start. Sure, they had their quirks, but nothing linked to tragedy. When they got powers, they decided to use them for good. Simple.
    The same probably is true for a lot of silver age JL members.

Although the retcon for the modern age, I think, was a nice addition to the lore. Well, if not counting Hawkman.

Astonishing Member

Shame Banks never got to draw GL Hal more often.
    He and Reis are my two favorite modern era GL artists. As much as I hate the heel turn that Parallax armor might be my all time favorite non traditional look for Hal. As problematic as it might be I would love it to be Hal's super sayian form, like when Thor would put on his armor and power augmenting belt for supremely powerful foes.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    Except for the evil mask this is the look

Astonishing Member

Just a note to say it's been interesting reading over the last few pages - I came to Green Lantern (and modern DC comics) through Green Lantern Rebirth, and so I assumed that all the history being thrown at me was "correct" - so Martin Jordan's death seemed no less a part of Hal's history than meeting Abin Sur, or becoming the Spectre.

Genuinely quite shocked to see it's such a recent addition!

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Just a note to say it's been interesting reading over the last few pages - I came to Green Lantern (and modern DC comics) through Green Lantern Rebirth, and so I assumed that all the history being thrown at me was "correct" - so Martin Jordan's death seemed no less a part of Hal's history than meeting Abin Sur, or becoming the Spectre.

Same here .

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Johns did it waaayy better though, then ED. Over there it was used to tear Hal.down.and make him a sorry loser in life and an alcoholic.

Johns made it inspire Hal, overcome fear and have a very special affection and connection.to his dad.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Extraordinary Member

[Activates Leonard Nimoy's Galvatron Autotune]

Why, Johnny?!

Why you gotta post those scans?!

I am fighting the urge to go on a rant about how I think Hal's retconned daddy issues ties into this weird need to be friends with Sinestro.

[Steps away from thread.....]

Astonishing Member

I know. I could've sworn that it's been a part of the lore since the Silver Age. As a fan I'm embarassed.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Johns did it waaayy better though, then ED. Over there it was used to tear Hal.down.and make him a sorry loser in life and an alcoholic.

Johns made it inspire Hal, overcome fear and have a very special affection and connection.to his dad.
    I agree. Geoff wrote a noble Hal.

That drunk driving idea from Emerald Dawn was bad.

Astonishing Member

I wonder if the GL uniform is another retcon.

Was it originally supposed to be made of cloth?