Page 130 of 222 FirstFirst ... 3080120126127128129130131132133134140180 ... LastLast
Results 1,936 to 1,950 of 3319

It was! I'm reading through the first Silver Age Omni right now, it's trippy to see Pie needing to remind Hal to take his mask off or Hal needing to sneak into the Ferris locker room to change into his duds.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    I wonder if the GL uniform is another retcon.

Was it originally supposed to be made of cloth?
    In his first appearance, Hal *literally* took the uniform off Abin Sur's corpse and put it on. I don't even want to think about that...

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

I wonder if the GL uniform is another retcon.

Was it originally supposed to be made of cloth?
    Yes. Throughout the 60's, 70'so and into the 80's as well I'm pretty sure.

Hal's suit is drawn with creases and moves like regular clothes. You even.see him take it off and put it on. Especially during the 60's.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    In his first appearance, Hal *literally* took the uniform off Abin Sur's corpse and put it on. I don't even want to think about that...
    Oh no.....

I like to think Abin was buried with his uniform on.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post

Hal's suit is drawn with creases and moves like regular clothes. You even.see him take it off and put it on. Especially during the 60's.
    Was it a 70's thing where the mask was a ring construct, and would disappear when Hal was completely out of energy?

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Hal does think to himself as he put on the suit in showcase 22. "The spaceman told me to take his uniform."

If that makes it any better. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Was it a 70's thing where the mask was a ring construct, and would disappear when Hal was completely out of energy?
    I don't recall that being a thing at all actually.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Showcase 22 is always a fun read every once in a while. I always spot something new each time. It's fun to read a comic that was 100% written for young kids growing up in the 50s and 60s before anyone cared about character motivation or plot holes. I mean, there's no mention of Hal's dead father or anything. He's just given a power ring by an alien and heck yeah he's gonna be a superhero! Why not? What did you think would happen? 10 years of moping around a farm cause he's "different" then NOT saving his father from a tornado? To quote Carol: "puh-lease"

Oh and Carol is just batsh!t crazy. Forget about Hal "hands" conducting a clinic on inappropriate workplace behavior. First Carol is all into Hal and agrees to dinner and a dance. Then big Carl Ferris (after going on a diatribe about how disappointed he was that he had Carol instead of a male child because I guess in the 60s you're only allowed to impregnate a woman once?) says he and the Mrs. are going to travel for 2 years and leaves Carol in charge. 2 years... so you know he's still not completely sold on having Carol in charge. Anyway, she's all "no romance" and Hal's like ah f@$k. Also, the no romance thing isn't really directed at employees at this point. It's just her saying she can't be distracted while proving herself as boss. But in the very next beat, she's going off to some gala ball to see Green Lantern for... wait for it... romance!

Buh buh buh buh wait it gets worse. So Carol and Green Lantern are hitting it off because he basically stalks her around the dance floor or something. Anyway, they kiss but then he flies away to stop a yellow missile because of course it's yellow. This pisses off Carol because, get this, GL didn't close his eyes during the kiss like she did. That rat bastard saw the missile and saved a bunch of people from a fiery explosion instead of giving her this unrealistic fantasy kiss. Why couldn't he just close his eyes and let them die?

Another thing about this issue, Abin's crash is completely glossed over. Is he just the sh!ttiest pilot in the galaxy or what? All he says is he hit some radiation which, who gives a chuck, you're in a freakin space ship which theoretically goes to different planets so you're gonna hit some radiation. Then there's a bright yellow aurora borealis light. Then he crashed. That's it. So you're telling me that light made him crash? Did he see it then start jerking the wheel like a lunatic? Even airplanes in the 60s could fly on instruments alone if visibility was poor. Are we saying that his interstellar space craft isn't as advanced as a 1960 turbo prop? And how come his ring didn't save him? Did he forget he was wearing it or was this magical yellow light shining on him all the way through the atmosphere and down to the ground? The thing had power. He used it to scan Hal. So what's up?
    Save Ferris...

Extraordinary Member

Hal does think to himself as he put on the suit in showcase 22. "The spaceman told me to take his uniform."

If that makes it any better. Lol.
    Oh....

I don't recall that being a thing at all actually.
    I have yet to fully read the snow-blind story (shame on me). I did see some scans from Denny's run during the 1970's where Hal's mask was constructed by his ring. When the ring ran out of power, his mask would disappear. I was just curious as to who invented that concept.

Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 06-25-2019 at 02:46 PM.

Astonishing Member

I assume Abin had undergarments on, at least.

Astonishing Member

I remember early in Geoff's run that Hal's uniform was cold to the touch (the black part). He was with Cowgirl at the time.

I don't know what the significance was.

I remember early in Geoff's run that Hal's uniform was cold to the touch (the black part). He was with Cowgirl at the time.

Yeah, the and green parts were hot. It was just a weird nerdy idea of his that Johns became enamored with that made no sense and nobody else picked up on.

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

Maybe just made GLs look more high-tech, I mean a space cop using the most powerful weapon in the universe fighting in the universe and they uniforms are tights is not as cool as the fighting in the universe with high-tech uniforms
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Sometimes I missing Hal's Spectre, This run was really good, And one of main reaons I liked Hal
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

I wonder if they'll ever collect that run again (or have they, and I just don't know about it?).