Page 149 of 222 FirstFirst ... 4999139145146147148149150151152153159199 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,235 of 3319

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    Now that is some beautiful, classic art.

BANNED

Gil Kane was a really incredible artist. It's interesting how much his style changed over the years. My favorite work of his is on Sword of the Atom in the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    No can do, my friend. This is exactly what it looks like, although it's not some coordinated attempt on WB to suppress Hal's prominence, but rather the result of which characters are currently the most visible. Now, I can't speak from any authority here, but, from what I've heard, these covers go through a fair amount of market research that greatly determines which characters get featured.

Since Martian Manhunter is a major player on the Supergirl TV show, which has literally millions of viewers across the world, that is the likely reason for Hal getting bumped in favor of J'Onn.

And, as I mention in earlier posts, Hal has currently taken Aquaman's place as the red-headed stepchild of the DCU thanks to the failure of the movie. Sorry, I wish I could spin this some other way, but that's the situation these days unfortunately.

However, all it takes is one great movie, cartoon or TV show to change that perception. Granted, due to the recent readjustment in entertainment towards a more diverse set of protagonists, an old fashioned, well-adjusted straight white male hero like Hal Jordan isn't exactly going to be at the front of the line when it comes to getting attention, particularly when you have worthy alternatives like Jessica Cruz and John Stewart that could be used instead. This isn't necessarily a bad thing from a cultural standpoint, but it isn't exactly great news for fans of Hal Jordan hoping he'll be given the spotlight again in the mainstream.
    To be honest, I'd be very surprised if J'onn being on Supergirl factored into why he made it onto the cover. I just don't think they though it through that much.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To be honest, I'd be very surprised if J'onn being on Supergirl factored into why he made it onto the cover. I just don't think they though it through that much.
    Again, I'm no expert on this, but I can assure you that a great deal of thought goes into cover art, particularly when it comes to which characters are featured.

This is why it's such a big deal when simple mistakes get made, like having Nick Fury's eyepatch on the wrong side in the Spider-Man: Far From Home IMAX poster. These things have to go through so much scrutiny, it's why most stuff these days is so generic and uninspired.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    Well then let's be more vocal, speak out more for our boy. Silence will not change anything. Let DC know Hal's fans exist and they are not satisfied with this. Keep reminding them cause they seems a little forgetful.

I sure would love to do this. I just don't know what avenue to take.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Speaking with your wallet is #1. If you want to see more of Hal, buy stuff with him in it, be it books, toys, shirts, & merch. And let whatever retailer you buy this stuff from know you want more stuff with Hal.

As for communicating your feelings to DC, just do it respectfully.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I'm confused. When did I tell anyone to be silent or to not spend money on Hal Jordan?

There's a big difference between keeping things in perspective when it comes to Hal's current unimportance to the multinational corporation that owns the rights to the IP and doing nothing to support the character.

If you love Hal, as we all do, you should absolutely respectfully and reasonably voice your desire for the character to be better represented within the larger DCU and back that up by spending your hard-earned dollars on products you enjoy. However, paranoid conspiracy theories fueled by either anger, resentment, or frustration accomplish nothing of value, and often serve to drive away potential fans and alienate the very creators, editors and executives who have the power to change things. I've tried on more than one occasion to convince John Stewart fans of this, but with little success. Same goes for Wally West (which is a much larger hornet's nest)

Hate and fear are easy emotions to fall prey to, so it takes genuine will power to keep focusing on the positive. It doesn't mean you can't vent or be frustrated sometimes, but we've all got to remember that negativity shouldn't ever become the dominant feature of our fandom. No matter how bleak the present situation may be, there's always something positive to focus on. Currently, Hal Jordan is having one of his all-time classic runs by two creators at the very top of their game. That's what I'm paying attention to. The rest is just noise that I have little to no control over, so I largely ignore it unless I see my fellow fans getting bummed out and I think I can change their perspective a bit.
    Wow slow down. I thought it is a positive suggestion I offered, which part triggers you? I didn’t say sending death threats to creators.
    First, in my experience, you will never get what you want without efforts. If you don’t do anything, things you don’t like will happen again, and again, and again. Second, DC is built on fans. The company makes profits from fans. And sometimes fans’ desires can be obscure to them. To let them know your suggestions is good for a healthy relationship between customers and the supplier. Last time we had a talk about money and love, you said money doesn’t equal love. But I'd rather voting with my dollars instead of just talking about love.
    I don’t need to be hypnotized that I’m fine with this situation because I’m not. And I don't think Morrison and Sharp's book can make amend for this cover either.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    twitter, facebook, youtube channel, DC official site, DC Universe, emails... I think they have their way to collect big data.

It took DC almost half a century to dig Aquaman out of this hole and now they're thrusting Hal Jordan right back into it. The current book is one of DC's top sellers and that clearly doesn't speak to their marketing department to stop treating Jordan like a toxic character. If they want to treat the character that way because of a failed movie from a decade ago, that's their prerogative, they own the character, naturally they can do whatever they please with him. But it's not my job to try to convince them otherwise. If they plan to either ignore him or ridicule him for a number of years until they finally manage to make another movie and replace him with another character because he doesn't check diversity boxes, then I don't know if I should support their endeavors.
    Last edited by Johnny; 08-02-2019 at 10:13 PM.

twitter, facebook, youtube channel, DC official site, DC Universe, emails... I think they have their way to collect big data.
    sometimes you wonder if they really do....

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Hal just outed that The Flash is named "Barry" to a bunch of kids .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Hal just outed that The Flash is named "Barry" to a bunch of kids .
    Better than Flash calling him "Hal" in front of the villains.

Astonishing Member

Funny, I used to visit DC"s official site. But that was years ago.