Page 151 of 222 FirstFirst ... 51101141147148149150151152153154155161201 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,265 of 3319
    Extraordinary Member

I finally did it.

I downloaded the 2814 books that reprinted the run from the 1980's. I've been reading a lot of Bronze Age Pre-Crisis DC, and the reading experience has been great.

The first chapter was just great!

Wein & Gibbons are in top form. I really liked the way Gibbons drew Hal's mask. It is hilarious that Hal never bothers to change his hair, but the mask, drawn by Gibbons does cover his face.

Hal had a supporting cast, of humans! Hal had the supporting cast of the GLC. Gibbons space and Earth settings were seamless. I love his GL art.

I actually liked Javelin! I have a weird fascination with German characters.

The stories were very exciting to me. I enjoyed the action, and characterization. On a side note, those stories took place prior to Barry Allen's trial. It was weird that Hal's adventures were bright (and anything could happen) while Barry's were dark.

It totally made sense to me that Hal would address Superman as Kal.

Hal was not that dependent upon the ring. He used his wits, and them hands!

I highly recommend reading this. You see the highs & lows of Hal's struggle to balance his life on Earth with his cosmic duties. The Guardians are kinda cold-blooded, but not evil. I'm literally tripping on the size of Hal's Earth-based supporting characters. A key point that struck me was Hal's resistance to lose his ties to Earth, and his friends. This is a far cry from Hal's perspective in recent years.

Extraordinary Member

One thing that I find funny is the number of characters that I will call Hal-Haters.

Jason Bloch

Salaak

Richard Davis

I'm not gonna list Tom, as he's just nursing hurt feelings.

I'm not sure if I should list my Katma just yet. I'm thinking she's on the same boat with Tom.

I normally get a kick out of Hal-Haters online, but the comic HH's are rather hilarious.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I finally did it.

I downloaded the 2814 books that reprinted the run from the 1980's. I've been reading a lot of Bronze Age Pre-Crisis DC, and the reading experience has been great.

Wein & Gibbons are in top form. I really liked the way Gibbons drew Hal's mask. It is hilarious that Hal never bothers to change his hair, but the mask, drawn by Gibbons does cover his face.

Hal had a supporting cast, of humans! Hal had the supporting cast of the GLC. Gibbons space and Earth settings were seamless. I love his GL art.

The stories were very exciting to me. I enjoyed the action, and characterization. On a side note, those stories took place prior to Barry Allen's trial. It was weird that Hal's adventures were bright (and anything could happen) while Barry's were dark.

I highly recommend reading this. You see the highs & lows of Hal's struggle to balance his life on Earth with his cosmic duties. The Guardians are kinda cold-blooded, but not evil. I'm literally tripping on the size of Hal's Earth-based supporting characters. A key point that struck me was Hal's resistance to lose his ties to Earth, and his friends. This is a far cry from Hal's perspective in recent years.
    I envy you. I imagine it would be fun to read Silver and Bronze age stories on a free weekend.

Who is Javelin by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    I envy you. I imagine it would be fun to read Silver and Bronze age stories on a free weekend.

Who is Javelin by the way?

Extraordinary Member

Thanks, Johnny!

I did not know Javelin appeared in animation.

The aerial battle in the comics was fun.

I didn't even know about this character until you mentioned him. And I never finished the Batman: Brave and the Bold cartoon so I didn't know he showed up in it either.

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

The Wein and Gibbons run is fun but I prefer the short Mike W. Barr run that preceded it. Wein's Hal is a bit too "normal" for my tastes lol, but he does have his great moments. And yeah, he did have a huge supporting cast then, didn't he? It would be fun to have some of them back.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I didn't even know about this character until you mentioned him. And I never finished the Batman: Brave and the Bold cartoon so I didn't know he showed up in it either.
    Unfortunately, I only caught a few episodes. Just about every episode I watched, I enjoyed it.

It looks like from the image, that battle was taken straight from the comic.

BANNED

Gibbons' art on Green Lantern was good, but RIGHT before his run began, Alex Toth drew an issue of Green Lantern, and it is incredible. I found myself thinking that I preferred Toth's look to Gibbons and would have rather Toth stayed with the title. Interestingly, I also liked what Joe Staton did right after Gibbons left more than Gibbons. But all that stuff back then was really good.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    The Wein and Gibbons run is fun but I prefer the short Mike W. Barr run that preceded it. Wein's Hal is a bit too "normal" for my tastes lol, but he does have his great moments. And yeah, he did have a huge supporting cast then, didn't he? It would be fun to have some of them back.
    I see what you mean by normal. Still, I do enjoy this particular take on Hal. So far, I am viewing this as Hal's version of Superman II, and Spider-Man II.

The supporting cast just seems so crazy to me given Hal's life since 2005. I think some attempt should be made to reestablish an Earth-based supporting cast.

I do think the Hal-Haters in the cast, in their own misguided way, show that Hal is one of a kind (via wrath & envy). I think that is evident with the Guardians. They even acknowledged that he'd been under a great deal of stress, and they kept pushing him.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Gibbons' art on Green Lantern was good, but RIGHT before his run began, Alex Toth drew an issue of Green Lantern, and it is incredible. I found myself thinking that I preferred Toth's look to Gibbons and would have rather Toth stayed with the title. Interestingly, I also liked what Joe Staton did right after Gibbons left more than Gibbons. But all that stuff back then was really good.
    I'll look for it. I noticed some Bronze Age GL stuff is not so readily available on comixology.

BANNED

I'll look for it. I noticed some Bronze Age GL stuff is not so readily available on comixology.
    It's issue #171, I think. I don't believe it was collected in anything. Here's some info on it:
    http://pencilink.blogspot.com/2009/0...-toth-art.html

All-star art team. Gil Kane cover, Alex Toth interior pencils, and Terry Austin inking it. The issue had a really cool look. It was also featured Dorine.

Last edited by Vampire Savior; 08-05-2019 at 02:30 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I also read the first appearance of John Stewart. The story beats are dated. However, I found myself laughing out loud at John's antics. I actually do understand why Hal's was initially wary of him. John may not know how close he was to catching Hands, lol. John had a method to his madness that not everyone will readily see. Another note worth mentioning is Guy Gardner. He was so...wholesome. Guy was the kinda man you could leave your drunk sister, and open wallet around.

It is very weird that John now acts more like pre-accident Guy while Guy is more like first time with a ring John.

Those three Earth GL's are just hilarious to me. I honestly think you can do a non-superhero TV show with those three, plus Kyle with Sinestro as the evil neighbor.

No disrespect to RV, but Hal & Pals should have been equal character study, and sci-fi action. Hal & Pals should have been more successful than what it was. DC did themselves (and the fans) a real disservice by not maximizing the potential of that book, imo.

I would be very open for modern retelling of how Hal met both Guy & John.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I finally did it.

This whole 2814 collection is probably my favorite continuous run on Green Lantern. I love Johns's run, but I think Wein & Gibbons, then Englehart & Staton were able to balance all the various Earth GLs better and the time period spanning the entirety of Crisis on Infinite Earths pushes it over the top for me.

Hal's whole arc here is something special, as is the wonderful work that was done with John, Kat, Guy, Salaak, Ch'p, Tomar-Re, and--well, the stuff with Arisia is still weird as hell, but female characters have fared worse (particularly in the 90s)

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I adore that Alex Toth issue!