Page 153 of 190 FirstFirst ... 53103143149150151152153154155156157163 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,295 of 2844
  1. #2281
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    4,603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ellingham View Post
    I've heard this too. There's actually a few different perspectives on what led to DC cancelling vol. 2.

    I suspect the ultimate reason was sales, which Waid alluded to in his last-issue editorial. When Englehart took over the book, he coordinated with Marv Wolfman to make the GL series integral to Crisis. He brought back Guy Gardner, and deftly juggled John and Hal through it.

    Sales increased quite a bit that year, so they elected to make GL a team book.

    Six months in, DC committed to Englehart's Millennium crossover pitch. But by that point, GLC was no longer doing big numbers - the buzz from Crisis was gone. Then Millennium tanked, dragging down volume 2 in the process. Then you have that editorial tug of war.

    I'd been reading GL a couple years by then, but I stopped reading in the leadup to that mini. I'm guessing DC saw ACW as the lowest-risk continuation available, which is how O'Neil gained control of GL.
    I think Englehart being pissed at DC also played into all this. From what I've heard, Millennium was not a great experience for anyone. It was a case of DC Editorial biting off more than it could chew with a weekly event that was trying to serve too many masters, and ended up satisfying none of them.

  2. #2282
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    43,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think Englehart being pissed at DC also played into all this. From what I've heard, Millennium was not a great experience for anyone. It was a case of DC Editorial biting off more than it could chew with a weekly event that was trying to serve too many masters, and ended up satisfying none of them.
    I guess I could kind of see how "hey everybody, we need you to turn an established supporting character into a servant for alien robots as part of an event" would kind of be a tough pill to swallow (but 'dems event comics).

  3. #2283
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    4,603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess I could kind of see how "hey everybody, we need you to turn an established supporting character into a servant for alien robots as part of an event" would kind of be a tough pill to swallow (but 'dems event comics).
    It doesn't help that Englehart's well-intentioned attempts to bring diversity to the DCU now comes off as painfully-stereotypical. I'll give Englehart credit for trying, but, oof, he really comes off as a sheltered white liberal who's never actually left his all-white neighbourhood. Don't know if that's true, but his writing of the Chosen was unintentionally hilarious.

    That said, Englehart is, by far, one of the better writers of his generation of sheltered white liberal comic book writers.

  4. #2284
    Spectacular Member MaxStirner_91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    143

    Default

    I love The Road Back. The Third Law was another high point but then the quality just plummets. The editorial tug of war makes a lot of sense.

    Also with Johnny in wanting Dorine for season 2, lol. If Morrison could bring back Eve, he can certainly bring back Dorine.

  5. #2285
    Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,517

    Default

    I'm just excited from today's issue that not only is Carol mentioned and a big part of the next issue but Hal actually shows he still cares about her and acknowledges her existence .
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

    Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake.

    Currently Reading: All Star Comics, Justice League of America (Satalite years era), Huntress ('89 series)

  6. #2286
    Extraordinary Member Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    6,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    I'm just excited from today's issue that not only is Carol mentioned and a big part of the next issue but Hal actually shows he still cares about her and acknowledges her existence .
    That was nice, even though he was talking about Carol from Earth-11. Maybe he knows her too.

  7. #2287
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    602

    Default

    Well, the Star Sapphire they talked about is from genderswap Earth 11. And from the cover and solicitation for the next issue we can see Carol is still a female...
    Sorry, but honestly I'm a little disappointed that we won't see a Star Sapphire Carl Ferris or a cute female version of Hal.

  8. #2288
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    Well, the Star Sapphire they talked about is from genderswap Earth 11. And from the cover and solicitation for the next issue we can see Carol is still a female...
    Sorry, but honestly I'm a little disappointed that we won't see a Star Sapphire Carl Ferris or a cute female version of Hal.
    I'm glad to see (a) Carol again but I was hoping for this too!

  9. #2289
    Extraordinary Member Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    6,010

    Default

    I haven't read Morrison's Multiversity in a long time, but I thought Earth 11 Carol was stated to be female, just one who was a member of the "Justice Guild", instead of Hal or a gender-swapped version of him.
    Last edited by Johnny; 08-07-2019 at 07:57 AM.

  10. #2290
    Extraordinary Member Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    6,010

    Default


  11. #2291
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I haven't read Morrison's Multiversity in a long time, but I thought Earth 11 Carol was stated to be female, just one who was a member of the "Justice Guild", instead of Hal or a gender-swapped version of him.
    It only told Star Sapphire was a member of justice guild in Multiversity. We didnít know the characterís name, gender or anything else.
    I used to think it would be a handsome black-haired man called Carl Ferris Jr. It could be more interesting if so.

  12. #2292
    Extraordinary Member Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    6,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    It only told Star Sapphire was a member of justice guild in Multiversity. We didn’t know the character’s name, gender or anything else.
    I used to think it would be a handsome black-haired man called Carl Ferris Jr. It could be more interesting if so.
    What's also interesting to me is how concerned Hal was for her even though she isn't his Carol.

  13. #2293
    Incredible Member Adset's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Comixology really needs to get this series into their catalog. It's been forever since I've read it.

  14. #2294
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    43,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Deep cut Hal. Deep cut .

  15. #2295
    Fantastic Member Dr. Ellingham's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Port Wenn
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    That said, Englehart is, by far, one of the better writers of his generation of sheltered white liberal comic book writers.
    Yup. To his credit though, I think he fleshed out John Stewart for every writer who followed.

    (In the comics, anyway. The Bruce Timm version is really a new character, just with the same name.)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •