Page 183 of 222 FirstFirst ... 83133173179180181182183184185186187193 ... LastLast
Results 2,731 to 2,745 of 3319

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    See the green gloves? That's a joke about where the character ended up after the movie was a disaster. Same deal with Mxy, who has mostly been confined to the cartoons because he's viewed as too silly to ever appear in the live-action films.

It's not meant to be a slam against Hal.
    Stuff like this just hurts the character. It doesn't really matter if it's meant to be a slam against Hal or not, it simply hurts him and it needs to stop.
    Last edited by Johnny; 10-05-2019 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Stuff like this just hurts the character. It doesn't really matter if it's meant to be a slam against Hal or not, it simply hurts him and it needs to stop.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Hmmm.

Bradley Cooper sounds better.
    He probably would have been, because the director would have been able to concentrate on making the film, rather than torturing Reynolds with endless takes because he wasn't Cooper.

I think the film still would have been a fiasco, because there were larger issues than Campbell not wanting Reynolds, but it might have helped.

I think you're being overly-sensitive about this. Aquaman spent literally decades being the butt of jokes and that didn't prevent his movie from being wildly successful. I understand you're protective of Hal, but these characters are incredibly resilient.

If a character is so fragile that they can't be made fun of, then the character ain't that good to begin with, and I think Hal Jordan is a great character. Joke away, I say. I mean, do you honestly believe that Aquaman is somehow a stronger character than Green Lantern?

I think you're being overly-sensitive about this. Aquaman spent literally decades being the butt of jokes and that didn't prevent his movie from being wildly successful. I understand you're protective of Hal, but these characters are incredibly resilient.

If a character is so fragile that they can't be made fun of, then the character ain't that good to begin with, and I think Hal Jordan is a great character. Joke away, I say. I mean, do you honestly believe that Aquaman is somehow a stronger character than Green Lantern?
    Aquaman just needed the right type of spin on it to change the way he was perceived by the public. In terms of the mainstream audience, Hal Jordan is seen as being completely replaceable as far as the Green Lantern property is concerned. He is not "needed" the way Arthur Curry was to make a good Aquaman movie. The more you make fun of the character, the more redundant you make him look. I think I was being realistic rather than protective or overly-sensitive and I even pointed out that I had no intention to complain about this, I posted that picture because it caught me off guard.

Hal feels like the new Aquaman sometimes...

Aquaman just needed the right type of spin on it to change the way he was perceived by the public. In terms of the mainstream audience, Hal Jordan is seen as being completely replaceable as far as the Green Lantern property is concerned. He is not "needed" the way Arthur Curry was to make a good Aquaman movie. The more you make fun of the character, the more redundant you make him look. I think I was being realistic rather than protective or overly-sensitive and I even pointed out that I had no intention to complain about this, I posted that picture because it caught me off guard.
    I agree that Aquaman is a slightly different animal than Green Lantern, because there are many different characters who wield a power ring, as opposed to the singular Aquaman. However, I don't think the general public much cares or notices about that kind of stuff or become stuck on one particular notion of the character, be it as cool or lame. Like you said, all it takes is a good interpretation to change people's perceptions.

Like with Aquaman, they are perfectly happy to laugh at the character for being lame, as much as they are also willing to enjoy him being awesome. Same deal with Hal Jordan.

Most people don't even distinguish between the different GLs. He's just the white one, as opposed to the black one, and soon, the one that's a Latina.

Hal Jordan's place is secure because of all the great stories that have been told with him over the decades. Darwyn Cooke and Geoff Johns, among others, have cemented Hal as an all-time classic of the DCU.

He may not get used as much as Batman anymore, and they'll always be other GLs out there that will be getting attention because they're newer or shinier or give an underrepresented group a hero for themselves, but Hal Jordan will prevail.

You can count on that. You don't need to view every joke as a slight. Just view it for what it is... a joke.

hey look, it's hal....

I agree that Aquaman is a slightly different animal than Green Lantern, because there are many different characters who wield a power ring, as opposed to the singular Aquaman. However, I don't think the general public much cares or notices about that kind of stuff or become stuck on one particular notion of the character, be it as cool or lame. Like you said, all it takes is a good interpretation to change people's perceptions.

Like with Aquaman, they are perfectly happy to laugh at the character for being lame, as much as they are also willing to enjoy him being awesome. Same deal with Hal Jordan.

Most people don't even distinguish between the different GLs. He's just the white one, as opposed to the black one, and soon, the one that's a Latina.

Hal Jordan's place is secure because of all the great stories that have been told with him over the decades. Darwyn Cooke and Geoff Johns, among others, have cemented Hal as an all-time classic of the DCU.

He may not get used as much as Batman anymore, and they'll always be other GLs out there that will be getting attention because they're newer or shinier or give an underrepresented group a hero for themselves, but Hal Jordan will prevail.

You can count on that. You don't need to view every joke as a slight. Just view it for what it is... a joke.
    You know I appreciate what you're doing but sometimes it comes off as patronizing. Just because I point out that the character is currently an easy target for silly jokes doesn't mean I can't see the joke for what it is. Fans can have certain level of concerns about what's going on with the character and it doesn't mean they're being paranoid or overly sensitive or can't recognize or appreciate humor for what it is. For what is worth, the good portrayals of Hal in outside media will always stick with me more than jokes about him.

You know I appreciate what you're doing but sometimes it comes off as patronizing. Just because I point out that the character is currently an easy target for silly jokes doesn't mean I can't see the joke for what it is. Fans can have certain level of concerns about what's going on with the character and it doesn't mean they're being paranoid or overly sensitive or can't recognize or appreciate humor for what it is. For what is worth, the good portrayals of Hal in outside media will always stick with me more than jokes about him.
    Fair enough. If you just want a safe place to complain about how you feel Hal is being mistreated, I don't want to be the guy always ruining it for you

How about this, I will leave this particular topic alone for the foreseeable future. The next time you guys just want to gripe about the latest perceived slight, I am going to let you guys go, without chiming in with my usual "You might be taking this a bit too seriously" routine.

I will just come to this thread to appreciate Hal and won't try to convince anyone else that he isn't doomed to be joke for all eternity because of one box office flop from eight years ago.

Sound good?

Fair enough. If you just want a safe place to complain about how you feel Hal is being mistreated, I don't want to be the guy always ruining it for you

How about this, I will leave this particular topic alone for the foreseeable future. The next time you guys just want to gripe about the latest perceived slight, I am going to let you guys go, without chiming in with my usual "You might be taking this a bit too seriously" routine.

I will just come to this thread to appreciate Hal and won't try to convince anyone else that he isn't doomed to be joke for all eternity because of one box office flop from eight years ago.

Sound good?
    Mate I'm in my 30s now, safe spaces have long been a thing of the past for me. Just pointing out I'm not as overly-sensitive as you apparently assumed I was. Goes without saying that you should feel free to post whatever you wish. Anyway I'm sure interesting things are in store for Hal, whether inside or outside of comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I don't know much about Green Lantern and I can only make out a few words from DC's blurry new timeline

Generation 2 The Space Age 15 Year Time Window
    Year 1 Batman and Superman debuts
    Year 2 Hal Jordan debuts as Green Lantern
    Year 3 Sinestro something
    Year 15 Crisis on Infinite Earths - The Green Lantern part is covered by a spoiler box

Generation 3 The Age of Crisis 15 Year Time Window
    Year 5 - Covered with spoiler box
    Year 6 Zero Hour - Final Night - Hal Dies?
    Year 11 - Infinite Crisis - GL part is empty, I just put this here as a benchmark
    Year 14 - Final Crisis - same
    Year 15 Blackest Night - Brightest Day - Flashpoint

Generation 4 The Flashpoint Age 5 Year Time Window - Confirmed as Didio posted the clear version
    Year 1 War of The GLs - Hal kills Mad Guardian
    Year 2 Hal = Green Lantern in Justice League - Kyle debuts as White Lantern

By the way, the Green Lantern and Green Arrow plus Black Canary timeline are in the same row so it's even harder to guess. That's all I got.
    i wonder what year gl rebirth happened... ok, i guess that's somwhere between year 6 and year 11 of season 2.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    i wonder what year gl rebirth happened... ok, i guess that's somwhere between year 6 and year 11 of season 2.
    It's likely in gen 3, year 10 and we just don't know what it says (year 9 has Kyle resurrecting the Guardians).