Page 198 of 222 FirstFirst ... 98148188194195196197198199200201202208 ... LastLast
Results 2,956 to 2,970 of 3319

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    Hal being in his 40s is not really a problem. The problem was that the brasher aspects of his personality were all but gone by the time of ET (I think it was still present in the first few arcs of vol. 3, like in the first issue, when Hal just jumps off a cliff and changes into GL at the very last second; or when he gleefully accepts Guy's challenge to a fight without rings). The look of the gray hair also didn't help (imo, the gray should have been much more scraggy than so neatly combed). It wasn't until Waid's JL: Year One I think that we got back the more cocky hotshot Hal.

I think the problem was also that Kevin Dooley simply didn't understand the character.
    Hal being older wasn't a problem... his power is driven by will so he's okay to age... the issue then becomes when he's noticeably older and more experienced than Batman and that will never be allowed.

As it stands, I had no problem with post-crisis Hal. He had a legitimate character arc and growth. He was more introspective and more an authority figure and leader type... but he'd had a long journey to GET there... and when vol 2 ended and vol 3 started he was literally one of three Green Lanterns in the universe and the most experienced one there was. A TON of responsibility and he grew from it. That was fine. Emerald Twilight was hot garbage.. but elder statesman wasn't a bad fit for Hal. I loved the first 40+ issues of Vol 3 quite a lot. Even the grey streaks weren't bad depending on how the artist drew them... There were some ugly interpretations though...

I liked how he was less reckless and more confident. Less of 'I can do anything because i'm awesome.... ' and more 'I've been in tougher spots that this, this is nothing...'

I think Johns was channeling that a bit in his post rebirth earth issues. Hal falling out of a jet leaping at a manhunter with a battery in his head, thinking something like. "Rings dead, Jets gone, falling to my death... believe or not, I still have plan." I loved that.

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Hal being older wasn't a problem... his power is driven by will so he's okay to age... the issue then becomes when he's noticeably older and more experienced than Batman and that will never be allowed.

As it stands, I had no problem with post-crisis Hal. He had a legitimate character arc and growth. He was more introspective and more an authority figure and leader type... but he'd had a long journey to GET there... and when vol 2 ended and vol 3 started he was literally one of three Green Lanterns in the universe and the most experienced one there was. A TON of responsibility and he grew from it. That was fine. Emerald Twilight was hot garbage.. but elder statesman wasn't a bad fit for Hal. I loved the first 40+ issues of Vol 3 quite a lot. Even the grey streaks weren't bad depending on how the artist drew them... There were some ugly interpretations though...

I liked how he was less reckless and more confident. Less of 'I can do anything because i'm awesome.... ' and more 'I've been in tougher spots that this, this is nothing...'

I think Johns was channeling that a bit in his post rebirth earth issues. Hal falling out of a jet leaping at a manhunter with a battery in his head, thinking something like. "Rings dead, Jets gone, falling to my death... believe or not, I still have plan." I loved that.
    Yeah, absolutely. I loved "The Road Back". When I say the "brasher" aspects of his personality, I don't just mean the cockier aspects. Like you said, in the first arc itself, he was more like, 'I've been in tougher spots that this, this is nothing...' By "brash", I mean there's this Paul Newman Cool Hand Luke feel to him in the first few arcs. You can glimpse that from the narration too, and how he loves the road and just keeps moving because to him, it lets him *live*. Volume 3 kind of goes off the rails for me once Hal gets back to Earth (so after issue 25 I think though "The Third Law" is great). The more non-generic hero aspects of his personality kind of fade into the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Plus he didn't say "Green Lantern's Got This" which is probably why.

cbr has some great suggestions...

https://www.cbr.com/hbo-max-green-la...ntial-stories/

although a couple seem a bit far off, most really sound interesting to see on the small screen.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    This looks excellent! and I'm excited for Morrison riffing on modern stuff in issue 2.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    What is this about Meltzer? I remember Kevin Smith explaining that Hal as Spectre resurrected Ollie in his physical prime. And it really hurts my soul to give Kevin Smith credit for anything... but that was a good resurrection.
    Yep, Smith came up with the idea of the formerly middle aged Ollie being resurrected in his physical prime, while Meltzer applied that to Hal as well in his JLA run.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    This is gorgeous. Who's the artist? It looks like Cully Hamner, who always drew a great Hal.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Morrison taking shots at his own work? This will be interesting. He already took shots at Batman so it’s only fair he take shots at the rest. I do wonder how cynical these heroes are going to be, will we see Blackstar Hal vs. the JL Authority?

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    This is gorgeous. Who's the artist? It looks like Cully Hamner, who always drew a great Hal.
    i saw this on twitter. had to go back to look for it.

i thought it was cully hammer too.

the artist's twitter name is Cap White. and his info on twitter is Antonio Brice at info@ikaripress.com and that he welcomes commissions.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Morrison taking shots at his own work? This will be interesting. He already took shots at Batman so it’s only fair he take shots at the rest. I do wonder how cynical these heroes are going to be, will we see Blackstar Hal vs. the JL Authority?
    Frankly I expected Hal to really serve as the "bad guy" in this twisted universe, but it sounds like the Earth heroes would be even worse.

i have no idea what comic this is from.

^^ That's from #4 of "Batman: Universe" which collects the Wal-Mart issues.