Page 33 of 222 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383133 ... LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

As a Hal fan, this scene NEVER gets old, no matter how many times I read GL Rebirth!

Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    You can see Hal suited up and talking in this new DC Super Hero Girls trailer at 2:01:

I think he's voiced by Jason Spisak.
    I insist my opinion: Carol's design is ugly.
    And I hope someday creators will figure out how to build girls without making boys look bad.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Happy Valentines Day .

Ah, those were the days.

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    And I hope someday creators will figure out how to build girls without making boys look bad.
    Well, how long did it take before creators were able to make guys look good without making women victims? It might take a little while...

I'm sure there's only going to be a select few male characters made to look bad to prop the girls. I seriously doubt Batman or Superman would be made to look like fools for Batgirl and Supergirl's sake. Hal is an easy choice because that's what WB turned him into. To a certain degree Barry is an easy choice too. So is Aquaman obviouisly. Or "was" I guess.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    As a Hal fan, this scene NEVER gets old, no matter how many times I read GL Rebirth!

One of the best scenes ever. I love Guys face in the background. So much glee. "Revenge is sweet"
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

I actually like Carol's design. At least she looks to be the same height as the rest of the villain girls .
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I'm sure there's only going to be a select few male characters made to look bad to prop the girls. I seriously doubt Batman or Superman would be made to look like fools for Batgirl and Supergirl's sake. Hal is an easy choice because that's what WB turned him into. To a certain degree Barry is an easy choice too. So is Aquaman obviouisly. Or "was" I guess.
    I think Supergirl gave Superman a wedgie in a Super Best Friends Forever short by the same creator. He had to call Ma Kent in to rein in Supergirl.
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    One of the best scenes ever. I love Guys face in the background. So much glee. "Revenge is sweet"
    That punch looked like it made Guy's life.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post

This was also during the height of Batman being a complete ass in the early 2000's so it was satisfying even as a Batman fan. I'm so glad Morrison of all people lightened him up

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Well, how long did it take before creators were able to make guys look good without making women victims? It might take a little while...
    Well it still happens sometimes. But two wrongs don't make a right. This shouldn't be a competition or some kind of vengeance. You can't antagonize male characters' fans to push female characters. I've seen too many times creators using comics as a cathartic method.
    Actually I think the problem isn't women being victims in comics, but is them being bland and boring victims. Do you care about Alex DeWitt? I don't. She's nothing more than a plot tool. Dare the creators make Wonder Woman a victim to make guys look good? No, because she is more important than most guys. Many female characters are expendable because they are unimportant, not because they are female. Unimportant guys are expendable in comics, too. To improve women's status in comics, it is more effective to make female characters important than waging holy wars against them getting any form of hurt. Suffering makes heroes. We can truly see their highlight moments when they are in misery. You can't have female heroes safe and sound all the time while being well-depicted. Unfortunately writers always intend to avoid doing that. For instance, Nightwing just got shot in head, fans are unhappy about that. But if the same thing happened on Barbara or Helena, we both know it would cause another level of storm in fandom.
    Another ironic thing is that only I'm a female so I can say this freely.

Well it still happens sometimes. But two wrongs don't make a right. This shouldn't be a competition or some kind of vengeance. You can't antagonize male characters' fans to push female characters. I've seen too many times creators using comics as a cathartic method.
    Actually I think the problem isn't women being victims in comics, but is them being bland and boring victims. Do you care about Alex DeWitt? I don't. She's nothing more than a plot tool. Dare the creators make Wonder Woman a victim to make guys look good? No, because she is more important than most guys. Many female characters are expendable because they are unimportant, not because they are female. Unimportant guys are expendable in comics, too. To improve women's status in comics, it is more effective to make female characters important than waging holy wars against them getting any form of hurt. Suffering makes heroes. We can truly see their highlight moments when they are in misery. You can't have female heroes safe and sound all the time while being well-depicted. Unfortunately writers always intend to avoid doing that. For instance, Nightwing just got shot in head, fans are unhappy about that. But if the same thing happened on Barbara or Helena, we both know it would cause another level of storm in fandom.
    Another ironic thing is that only I'm a female so I can say this freely.
    Anyone is always free to say anything.(except where it incites a riot or is slander) Some people just like to passive-aggressively pretend that if someone disagrees with them that their detractors are infringing on their rights. But that's neither here nor there. (just to avoid confusion, I am not trying to accuse you of that, just that it happens)

To address the rest of your statement, forgive me if I miss some of your points, but it is a big and complicated topic and this is already off-topic for this thread, so I will be brief:
    -- I agree, two wrongs absolutely don't make a right. I was just noting that if it took this long for the people making these stories to realize one wrong, it might take them awhile to realize the other wrong as well. I believe that equality is equal for everyone and that one should never put down anyone else in the attempt to raise up someone else.
    -- I actually did like Alex DeWitt more than Kyle. I was hoping Kyle was a red herring and that she was actually going to end up with the ring.
    -- Wonder Woman may not have been depicted as a victim because of her gender, but Black Canary certainly was (and in one of the worst ways) - and not in her book. Yes, a lot of the victims were these expendable, uninteresting characters but there's a reason so many of these uninteresting characters were women and that so many of the heroes were men. I ultimately agree with what you're saying in the abstract, but history can't be ignored either.
    -- Yes, Nightwing was shot in the head, but it was a launching point for his title - his story. And it was intended as such. Batgirl crippled in "Killing Joke?" nope. It wasn't intended to be the birth of Oracle - it just turned out that way.
    -- Yes, suffering is frequently a key part of a hero's journey - and the suffering or death of others is a standard. Uncle Ben, Bucky, Thomas and Martha Wayne, Martin Jordan. (also in cinema, a man named "Goose" twice - Mad Max and Top Gun) But there has been a history of female heroes having to overcome their own victimization to become a hero - moreso than men. Again, there's so much more to this, and I could go on, but it's becoming too much a distraction to this thread. Thanks though for your thoughts and I am glad for any opportunity (especially these days) for genuine, rational and courteous discourse.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Here's the crux of Batman's retconned hissy fit with Hal, courtesy of John Stewart:

"Hal was the man without fear. And what is 'The Batman' when you're not afraid of him? Just a man."
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 02-16-2019 at 03:58 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Always nice to see Bats get told.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

As a Batman fan, scenes like that are kind of annoying.
    But also even as a Batman fan, I kind of loathe all the "Almighty Bat-God/Batman is a Jerk" BS that we and the character have been saddled with that also brings down other characters. So at the same time, those scenes are kind of awesome. Like a big middle finger to Frank Miller's crappy legacy.