Page 59 of 222 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109159 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    So glad that era of Hal is over with, that I am.
    Seconded. I stI'll don't believe that one of the greatest voices for Hal, Geoff Johns, actually wrote that crap. Right, smack, on the middle of writing one of the best Hals to boot.

I think Johns was ghost writing for Didio or Lee.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Seconded. I stI'll don't believe that one of the greatest voices for Hal, Geoff Johns, actually wrote that crap. Right, smack, on the middle of writing one of the best Hals to boot.

I think the rumor was that arc was ghost-written to some degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Forewarning...Hal doesn't come off that well in this video (sorry Johnny ).
    Oh, wow, I'm... not a fan of this, especially since DC isn't gonna do a good adaptation for Hal anytime soon. I wish they would because I actually want there to be more fans but, yeah, that's not gonna happen.

Eh you gotta take what you can get I suppose. Hal hasn't had a good adaptation outside of comics since the Green Lantern cartoon, so I wouldn't expect them to suddenly start trying to make some effort with him. I hate the New-52 made the "dumb jock" thing such a big deal to the point where almost a decade later they still portray Hal that way, but it is what it is. Maybe if they do end up making that rumored reboot film, the "older veteran Hal" won't be so bad after all. It can't be worse than what I'm seeing here. :/

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I kinda enjoy Hal in DC Superhero Girls. I mean, people don't think Dick Grayson is a dummy who's insecure about his tiny hands because of Teen Titans Go, do they? Keep in mind that Green Lantern: The Animated Series is still out there, along with all the other JL movies in which Hal is portrayed pretty damned well.

Good characters can always handle crazy comedy versions of them.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I much prefer Wolfman’s far too short run on GL, than Johns. Don’t get me wrong. Johns did some great things for Hal, just personal growth wasn’t one of them.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Astonishing Member

Forewarning...Hal doesn't come off that well in this video (sorry Johnny ).
    Well that wasn't flattering.

Incredible Member

At least they should know Green Lantern stands for overcoming great fear...

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    At least they should know Green Lantern stands for overcoming great fear...
    Yes. That's like his whole thing! I am glad though that they refrained from having him be a total jerk pushing her into that locker (which I was expecting) or splashing her with the water. Laughing at her for doing it to herself keeps him from being the outright villain. And they're carrying over the idea that Superman (or Batman) doesn't give him the time of day. Oh well....

I must admit that the running joke of Hal being ignored by Superman is one I enjoy a lot. Bendis played off the idea nicely in his Superman stuff. It's a tricky balance though. In the wrong hands, this could end up making Supes look bad. Thankfully, it's been used pretty well so far.

The Green Lantern vol.1 tpb is due out in June, I believe.
    Yep, I need to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    hoping that the show will eventually portray hal in a better light...

looks like hal and jess are good friends here.

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post

I wasn't a big fan of Hal in the New 52 Justice League, but admittedly there was one moment in the second volume I kind of thought was interesting where they addressed him being so glib and cocky in Justice League is because he treats it as "break" compared to the normal work he has to do as a Green Lantern in space.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I kinda enjoy Hal in DC Superhero Girls. I mean, people don't think Dick Grayson is a dummy who's insecure about his tiny hands because of Teen Titans Go, do they? Keep in mind that Green Lantern: The Animated Series is still out there, along with all the other JL movies in which Hal is portrayed pretty damned well.

Good characters can always handle crazy comedy versions of them.
    More zany and comedic takes on characters have their place, I just think there does seem to be a tendency to portray Hal as an idiot or a dumb jock in other media, which I'm not as crazy about.

More zany and comedic takes on characters have their place, I just think there does seem to be a tendency to portray Hal as an idiot or a dumb jock in other media, which I'm not as crazy about.
    In Justice League Origin/War, that was true because one of the main character arcs of that story was Hal's growth from being a cocky hot head. Other than that story and overtly comedic takes like LEGO and DC Super Hero Girls, when has Hal been portrayed as an idiot or dumb jock?

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    In Justice League Origin/War, that was true because one of the main character arcs of that story was Hal's growth from being a cocky hot head. Other than that story and overtly comedic takes like LEGO and DC Super Hero Girls, when has Hal been portrayed as an idiot or dumb jock?
    The problem was he never seemingly grew out of that when you read the second volume (even though supposedly it was supposed to have taken place five years later), aside from when he left the team to save face for the League.

Animated Feature Hal is kind of a jock in personality, even if at this point his role seems to be less an idiot and more someone who pushes everybody's buttons by insensitive comments.

I'm not saying all of his portrayals are as an idiot or dumb job, but as it is right now the Lego and DCSHG versions are the current primary media representations for Hal.