Page 7 of 222 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret View Post
    His importance in the League has sadly been diminishing with each introduction of a new Green Lantern. There are so many people nowadays who genuinely believe John Stewart was the founder GL and that's kinda sad. I think that's just what happens when you have way too many GLs - they can't just cram everyone on Earth. Before I thought four was slightly over kill, but they went ahead and introduced Simon, then Jessica. I may be biased, but I missed the good old days when Hal was the only one (not that I didn't like the others, but still...)
    I like all the Earth GL's, but even I admit there are a lot, and right now it looks like Guy and Simon are going to be the GL's left in the lurch at the moment comic-wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I think the people who think John is a founding member are a portion of the people whose only familiarity to the Justice League came from the Bruce Timm cartoons. Over the past 15 years I believe DC has done a relatively decent job of making sure that people who were newly introduced to the DC universe are aware that Hal is a founding JL member, despite often putting other characters instead of him on the team. And ultimately the people that grew up during the social media age are seen as the current target audience since those of us that grew up in the 90s or early 2000s are starting to get a bit older. lol I would honestly have a hard time to believe that Gen Zs don't know who Hal Jordan is.
    I wonder if more people think of John as a founder then they think of Hawkgirl.

Hal has been pretty consistently a part of most DC media since Rebirth.

He's been in several cartoons, Lego games, Injustice, animated movies, etc. People can claim the Green Lantern that most people know about is John, and I won't dispute how important his being in Justice League was for pop culture and his character, but I can't see how anyone could follow DC media in the past decade or so and not have some awareness of who Hal Jordan is, even setting aside the failed movie.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

His importance in the League has sadly been diminishing with each introduction of a new Green Lantern. There are so many people nowadays who genuinely believe John Stewart was the founder GL and that's kinda sad. I think that's just what happens when you have way too many GLs - they can't just cram everyone on Earth. Before I thought four was slightly over kill, but they went ahead and introduced Simon, then Jessica. I may be biased, but I missed the good old days when Hal was the only one (not that I didn't like the others, but still...)
    Aaah... I remember when the Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern movie came out and there's a group of people protesting that Green Lantern is whitewashed... or at least asked why is he white

Astonishing Member

4 earth Lanterns do seem a lot. But DC keeps on pumping out more.

If DC wants more, how about a Green Lantern from the future named Martin Jordan. Hal and Carol's future son.

But seriously, how many active lanterns from earth do we have now? 8 maybe? (Amd I'm hoping there's not a dead Lantern once Heroes in Crisis is over).

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Aaah... I remember when the Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern movie came out and there's a group of people protesting that Green Lantern is whitewashed... or at least asked why is he white
    Always cracks me up when that type of people try to pretend to be speaking on behalf of the entire general audience. Thank god I don't spend that much time on social media anymore, the geek circles have unfortunately become as toxic as they could get.
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-06-2019 at 05:38 AM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Hal, Guy, John and Kyle (my personal pecking order) were more than enough when it came to Earth based Lanterns, but I'm guessing the head honchos at DC decided that more minorities were needed in today's SJW age, thus the introduction of Simon and Jessica, neither of whom I liked for even a second....and I'M a minority (I'm black).
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

Always cracks me up when that type of people try to pretend to be speaking on behalf of the entire general audience. Thank god I don't spend that much time on social media anymore, the geek circles have unfortunately become as toxic as they could get.
    I usually just stick to CBR forums. And I'm grateful for the nice atmosphere here. Maybe the other threads get toxic sometimes, but at least it doesn't get absurd here in Hal's thread.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    I usually just stick to CBR forums. And I'm grateful for the nice atmosphere here. Maybe the other threads get toxic sometimes, but at least it doesn't get absurd here in Hal's thread.
    Yeah, this thread very rarely gets into any kind of drama which I'm very grateful for.

I definitely appreciate the "Appreciation" threads here that are, by rule, hostility-free zones.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Oh trust me, they do. Sometimes I visit a few X-men threads and oh boy do they fight. Whenever I come back from over there it never fails to make me appreciate how nice it is here and everybody gets along.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

One of my all time favorite pictures of the Corps! Brilliant!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Oh trust me, they do. Sometimes I visit a few X-men threads and oh boy do they fight. Whenever I come back from over there it never fails to make me appreciate how nice it is here and everybody gets along.
    I think it's mostly because this thread truly does seem to focus on appreciating the character instead of going after other representatives of the mantle or the way some creators have handled Hal in the past. Even if there's frustration at times, it seems to dissipate rather quickly.

Astonishing Member

From time to time I do some complaining, like in the Heroes on Crisis thread. I guess it csn't be helped sometimes.

But at least here in Hal's thread it's been pretty hostile free. It's actually refreshing.

Alth9ugh I might visit the X-men thread just to see what people are talking about.

Some version of this used to be in the first post of every appreciation thread:
    DC Forum Appreciation Thread rules:

1) No negative comments about the honoree of this thread. It's an appreciation thread, not a non-appreciation one.

2) No negative discussion about any competitors of the honoree of this thread (i.e. John Stewart in the Hal Jordan thread). No ifs, ands, or buts. Find another non-appreciation thread to do that, just not here.

3) No negative comments about other versions of the character. For example, if you like the DCU version of Cyborg, but hate the DCnU version (or visa versa), just appreciate the earlier version and keep your comments about the latter to yourself.

It would be helpful if the OP put these back up in the first post, but thankfully it doesn't seem to be needed.

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Is the preview for TGL #3 out yet?