Page 73 of 222 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783123173 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 3319
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Wonder what the continuity concern was. Could'nt Superman just told his League buddies a bit of his history.

And Niel Gaiman wasn't probably that big name back then I guess.
    Mike Carlin was, to put it lightly, a bit of a stickler for continuity back in the day. It's probably one of the reasons the DCU had its most consistent period of continuity stability during his tenure as DC's Executive Editor. Unfortunately, Carlin also had a habit of sticking to bad continuity decisions, such as nobody knowing Superman's secret ID, no Kryptonian survivors, the Superboy-less LSH, removing Wonder Woman from the founding JLA, and whatever Hawkman became. Rather than just reversing course and admitting that these were horrible retcons, Carlin doubled-down on them again and again.

The decade of creative floundering that Hal Jordan underwent is a perfect example. It took Carlin stepping down and Didio taking over for Hal to finally return as GL, along with the rest of the Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Wonder what the continuity concern was. Could'nt Superman just told his League buddies a bit of his history.

And Niel Gaiman wasn't probably that big name back then I guess.
    "A bit of history" is very different than Hal and Clark being buddies and confiding in each other, which is what their whole teamup is about - it starts with them in their secret ID's hanging out and that was not allowed by the Superman office. Almost nobody was supposed to know Clark was Supes then. The other Leaguers were just "professional colleagues." (There was even a teamup with Hal and Guy and when Guy refers to "Jordan," Superman responds "Jordan? Is that Green Lantern's real name?" (or something...))

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Mike Carlin was, to put it lightly, a bit of a stickler for continuity back in the day. It's probably one of the reasons the DCU had its most consistent period of continuity stability during his tenure as DC's Executive Editor. Unfortunately, Carlin also had a habit of sticking to bad continuity decisions, such as nobody knowing Superman's secret ID, no Kryptonian survivors, the Superboy-less LSH, removing Wonder Woman from the founding JLA, and whatever Hawkman became. Rather than just reversing course and admitting that these were horrible retcons, Carlin doubled-down on them again and again.

The decade of creative floundering that Hal Jordan underwent is a perfect example. It took Carlin stepping down and Didio taking over for Hal to finally return as GL, along with the rest of the Corps.
    Carlin was actually wrong about the continuity errors, though. He initially thought that LotGF would be messing with continuity since the recent reboot of the Superman books had everyone forgetting Clark Kent was Superman, however two separate issues Green Lantern Special #1 and Action Comics Weekly #606 (LotGF was the finale to the stories in ACW) , post Crisis stories that were published before the issue, featured both Clark and Hal knowing each other's identities. So it turns out Mike Carlin prevented that story from being published for literally no reason, it would have perfectly fit in canon

where was didio before he became editor?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Rejected by Catwoman. That's gotta sting .
    For me, being rejected by a man-eater after a brief introduction is a blessing.

Being rejected by a man-eater after catching feelings can be extremely painful.

Extraordinary Member

Damn, Carlin saved me money during the 1990s.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    For me, being rejected by a man-eater after a brief introduction is a blessing.

Being rejected by a man-eater after catching feelings can be extremely painful.
    I don't know if I would really describe Selina as a man-eater, she's a survivor with bad family history hiding behind a femme fatale facade, but the notion of her and Hal is as weird as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I don't know if I would really describe Selina as a man-eater, she's a survivor with bad family history hiding behind a femme fatale facade, but the notion of her and Hal is as weird as it gets.
    Yeah, Selina is flirty and sexual as heck but I don't know if I'd call her a "man-eater." She's not that voracious .

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, Selina is flirty and sexual as heck but I don't know if I'd call her a "man-eater." She's not that voracious .
    I must commend the valiant effort from the both of you.

Yet, I still can't get that Hall & Oates song outta my head.

In my mind, she is strutting down the street with that song in the background.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

THE GREEN LANTERN ANNUAL #1
    written by GRANT MORRISON
    art by GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI
    cover by GUILLEM MARCH
    A Green Lantern tradition is reborn when the annual Jordan family reunion takes a turn for the bizarre, leaving Hal and his nearest and dearest on the front line of a terrifying invasion from an impossible reality that’s closer than you think!
    There’s only one way for intergalactic lawman Hal “Green Lantern” Jordan to prevent the ultra-crime of the millennium—but what will be the outcome when Green Lantern takes on a young superhero sidekick? And who will it be? Also featuring an incredible guest appearance by the strangest Lantern of all—you must not miss THE GREEN LANTERN ANNUAL!
    ON SALE 07.31.19
    $4.99 US | 48 PAGES
    FC | RATED T+

Awesome to hear the Jordan family is making an appearance. Love them.

Also is Air Wave coming back?
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

"Young superhero sidekick??" I'm hoping it's Hal Jordan (the other one )

Strangest Lantern "of all?" There have been some really weird ones already - some by Morrison. What could be stranger than a sentient mathematical equation?

I wonder if the "young superhero sidekick" is Teen Lantern. Bendis (or was it in a Morrison interview?) did say she'd be appearing in Morrison's book.

The person on the cover has Yellow Gloves. Air Wave has yellow gloves (and also could maybe use his powers to trap someone in a phone I think?). Hopefully the sidekick is Air Wave.
    Also hopefully Morrison will use the excuse to bring Jack and/or Helen back.

Mighty Member

Both of these solicits sound amazing! I'm thrilled TGL is getting an annual and I'm so, so happy there's a Jordan family reunion. I'm hoping the young sidekick is Air Wave, the yellow gloves make it seem plausible. Also Hal as a knight on a fantasy planet is perfect.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    where was didio before he became editor?
    He was a producer for cartoons, including Reboot.