Page 221 of 222 FirstFirst ... 121171211217218219220221222 LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,315 of 3319
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    Not to nitpick, but the artist has Hal wearing his ring on the wrong hand. Still, that was a great drawing.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

To be fair, it never made much of a difference to me which hand he has his ring on. Not nearly as annoying as giving him the white boots. :/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Hal not being in even one panel of the original "Crisis" sticks in my craw, but Dc has done pretty well by Hal considering how anyone who's not the Trinity gets treated. Hal was the center of three event series - "Zero Hour", "Final Night" and "Judgement Day" as part of his fall/redemption arc. And he was front and center for years during Johns's run. After the movie he's never had that kind of exposure, but they've always kept him around, sometimes even in JLA stories when he's not even on the team. I know that as fans we always want more, but he's got a solo title when two are on teams and three are in limbo, so I'm less frustrated these days.
    That was really surprising to learn when I first got into comics. It saved me money though since I was almost ready in buying the collected edition.

Besides Hal, who were the other major character that Crisis ignored?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    That was really surprising to learn when I first got into comics. It saved me money though since I was almost ready in buying the collected edition.

I actually think he was the only major character not to appear in the main Crisis book? To my knowledge EVERYONE else made at least a cameo...

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post

Quote Originally Posted by vartox View Post
    I actually think he was the only major character not to appear in the main Crisis book? To my knowledge EVERYONE else made at least a cameo...
    Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    Tales of the GLC was one of DC’s highest selling books after CoIE and was ONLY cancelled because Action Comics (DC’s first pulp comic featuring Superman) was selling TERRIBLY and DC only cares about the Big 3 and no one else
    Also, what I said about Wolfman wanting Hal out of the way during CoIE because Wolfman was afraid that the readers would simply expect Hal to save the universe (because Hal had saved multiple universes so many times before that it became part of Hal’s whole schtick) was confirmed by Wolfman himself on his old Yahoo page (same place he confirmed his Barry Allen loophole)
    When it comes to Guy, that’s much more complicated.
    Originally, DC only had one plan for an event after CoIE and it was going to be huge. That event was going to be called Twilight of the Superheroes and it was going to be written by Alan Moore.
    In the event, the Earth was going to be quarantined by the Controllers after the events of CoIE and an antihero lawman/Guy would be needed to “keep the peace so to speak” in a lawless world where half of the worlds heroes would have turned evil under the quarantine.

Looking at it long and hard afterward, DC Editorial decided against it and came up with Legends instead.
    ^This is why Hal wasn’t in CoIE.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

It can also be used by some as an argument for why Hal is a bad character and nobody ever really liked him lol
    Even if he was excluded for that reason, Firestorm was featured pretty heavily in the early issues and now you'd be hard pressed to find anybody who gives a crap about Firestorm lol. So it'd be dubious logic to apply to the entire publishing history (IF it were true).

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It can also be used by some as an argument for why Hal is a bad character and nobody ever really liked him lol
    Even if he was excluded for that reason, Firestorm was featured pretty heavily in the early issues and now you'd be hard pressed to find anybody who gives a crap about Firestorm lol. So it'd be dubious logic to apply to the entire publishing history (IF it were true).
    Why would anyone think Hal is a bad character after being supplied with Wolfman’s reasoning for keeping Hal out of CoIE?

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    Why would anyone think Hal is a bad character after being supplied with Wolfman’s reasoning for keeping Hal out of CoIE?
    Keep in mind that there was a regime change on GL during Crisis. Virtually nothing that happened during Englehart's stories would've happened had Wein stayed on the book. For example, he created the Predator, but intended him to be a new character, not Carol Ferris. Wein included references to Crisis to help out Wolfman, but he had no intention of tying in to the crossover in a big way.

So they didn't originally plan to use Hal in Crisis because Wein replaced Hal. He was both editor and writer of Green Lantern, so that was his call. And when he left, Englehart devised a new plan with Wolfman, including a series of tie-ins.

Big picture, thematically, sure Hal should have been used - both Wolfman and Perez have said so. George Perez from a recent interview:

Unless you have somebody you really want, I would love to do a book like this. Draw everybody? Now you do mean everybody right? We don’t have to leave anybody out?” (Laughter.)

They did leave somebody out — Hal Jordan wasn’t in that book, I always regretted that.
    But I suspect that was less an omission, and more a design to let Englehart's arc play out in the GL series proper.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    Not for nothing, but Hal looks like he's fresh off a New Year's morning hangover.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

^ happy new year everybody!

hopefully 2020 is a great year for green lantern.

and i imagine that the boards will get locked again soon, so i hope someone gets to create a new appreciation thread for hal as soon as possible.

Happy New Year and happy new Hal thread for 2020!

Happy New Year to all GL fans .