Page 148 of 222 FirstFirst ... 4898138144145146147148149150151152158198 ... LastLast
Results 2,206 to 2,220 of 3319

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Come on Hal, you're a Superhero. Don't steer Air Wave wrong .

Quote Originally Posted by vartox View Post
    Surprisingly no! His one and only appearance before now was GL #71. Although he looks like he's cleaned up slightly...

Jeez, Morrison is the G.O.A.T. lol The guy literally takes the most random characters and brings them back out the blue. Awesome guy.

Quote Originally Posted by mrumsey View Post
    I read it as Morrison's cheeky way of trying to make the Spectre run fit into continuity.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    Yep, I read it the same way. Very fun annual. No idea who Doug Jordan is but yeah, punch did serve him right lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by qwertyuiop1998 View Post
    Just finished reading currently GL's issue, Find I and Morrison are so many things in common for Hal's characterization, I mean I always thought Hal is more like a policeman than a superhero
    I also think it was interesting about Helen's adventure during Hal's near-death experience, I personally think morrison was implying hal spectre's stories

Surprise, surprise, guess who got **** on all over again.

Shows that WB doesn't think that Green Lantern in general is toxic, but Hal Jordan in particular. Jessica was front and center on the Justice League vs Fatal Five box art, but Hal can't even make it in a group shot.

Bored, you better be here to save the day, bud. :/
    Last edited by Johnny; 07-31-2019 at 01:11 PM.

Extraordinary Member

John Krasinski has been my pick for Reed Richards, but he could visually pull off Hal Jordan, imo.

Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 07-31-2019 at 01:22 PM.

Shows that WB doesn't think that Green Lantern in general is toxic, but Hal Jordan in particular. Jessica was front and center on the Justice League vs Fatal Five box art, but Hal can't even make it in a group shot.

They couldn't have had him in the sky somewhere...?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    They couldn't have had him in the sky somewhere...?
    They could, they just didn't want to. It's ironic when you think about that Hal was the one who lit the fire on Superman's statue. No matter how much I tell myself not to get upset about meaningless stuff like this, I just can't help but get annoyed by it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I recently read the DeMatties Spectre series and there's really no way for most of that series to fit within current continuity as anything other than a fever dream Hal was having while Parallax and The Spectre were playing tug of war over possession of his soul.

That's how I explain it anyway.
    That's like how magic crises work in the DCU, anyway. Reality collapses, reality gets put back together, people don't really remember much. Actually Final Crisis ended up being like a fever dream, too.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

They could, they just didn't want to. It's ironic when you think about that Hal was the one who lit the fire on Superman's statue. No matter how much I tell myself not to get upset about meaningless stuff like this, I just can't help but get annoyed by it.
    Well its OK cuz it's not like this particular story, Death and return of Superman, actually had any meaningful impact on Hal like Cyborg Superman destroying Coast city or Mongul being involv....wait a minute!!
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

No can do, my friend. This is exactly what it looks like, although it's not some coordinated attempt on WB to suppress Hal's prominence, but rather the result of which characters are currently the most visible. Now, I can't speak from any authority here, but, from what I've heard, these covers go through a fair amount of market research that greatly determines which characters get featured.

Since Martian Manhunter is a major player on the Supergirl TV show, which has literally millions of viewers across the world, that is the likely reason for Hal getting bumped in favor of J'Onn.

And, as I mention in earlier posts, Hal has currently taken Aquaman's place as the red-headed stepchild of the DCU thanks to the failure of the movie. Sorry, I wish I could spin this some other way, but that's the situation these days unfortunately.

However, all it takes is one great movie, cartoon or TV show to change that perception. Granted, due to the recent readjustment in entertainment towards a more diverse set of protagonists, an old fashioned, well-adjusted straight white male hero like Hal Jordan isn't exactly going to be at the front of the line when it comes to getting attention, particularly when you have worthy alternatives like Jessica Cruz and John Stewart that could be used instead. This isn't necessarily a bad thing from a cultural standpoint, but it isn't exactly great news for fans of Hal Jordan hoping he'll be given the spotlight again in the mainstream.

I think I probably have less of an issue with the fact that Hal is easily replaceable, and more of an issue with him not being promoted even when he is there, or being promoted as a joke like with The Lego Batman movies or DC Super Hero Girls(I get it, they're not meant to be taken seriously, but they're still outside media adaptations that do no favors to the character).

It's ironic to think of how the real DC underdog these days indeed happens to be Hal Jordan. Character that by today's standards or perceptions does nothing to advance anything, is seen by many fans as a character that holds other characters back, is plagued by bad past stories and terrible media adaptations, yet despite all of it he's still here fighting the good fight. Too overdramatic perhaps, but somewhat accurate. Part of me almost finds something inspirational about that, no matter how frustrating it can be.
    Last edited by Johnny; 08-02-2019 at 12:16 AM.

Incredible Member

Well then let's be more vocal, speak out more for our boy. Silence will not change anything. Let DC know Hal's fans exist and they are not satisfied with this. Keep reminding them cause they seems a little forgetful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    No can do, my friend. This is exactly what it looks like, although it's not some coordinated attempt on WB to suppress Hal's prominence, but rather the result of which characters are currently the most visible. Now, I can't speak from any authority here, but, from what I've heard, these covers go through a fair amount of market research that greatly determines which characters get featured.
    I know you didn't agree with me. But I still think I'm just being realistic: my way of loving a character is spending money on him/her.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    Well then let's be more vocal, speak out more for our boy. Silence will not change anything. Let DC know Hal's fans exist and they are not satisfied with this. Keep reminding them cause they seems a little forgetful.

I know you didn't agree with me. But I still think I'm just being realistic: my way of loving a character is spending money on him/her.
    I'm confused. When did I tell anyone to be silent or to not spend money on Hal Jordan?

There's a big difference between keeping things in perspective when it comes to Hal's current unimportance to the multinational corporation that owns the rights to the IP and doing nothing to support the character.

If you love Hal, as we all do, you should absolutely respectfully and reasonably voice your desire for the character to be better represented within the larger DCU and back that up by spending your hard-earned dollars on products you enjoy. However, paranoid conspiracy theories fueled by either anger, resentment, or frustration accomplish nothing of value, and often serve to drive away potential fans and alienate the very creators, editors and executives who have the power to change things. I've tried on more than one occasion to convince John Stewart fans of this, but with little success. Same goes for Wally West (which is a much larger hornet's nest)

Hate and fear are easy emotions to fall prey to, so it takes genuine will power to keep focusing on the positive. It doesn't mean you can't vent or be frustrated sometimes, but we've all got to remember that negativity shouldn't ever become the dominant feature of our fandom. No matter how bleak the present situation may be, there's always something positive to focus on. Currently, Hal Jordan is having one of his all-time classic runs by two creators at the very top of their game. That's what I'm paying attention to. The rest is just noise that I have little to no control over, so I largely ignore it unless I see my fellow fans getting bummed out and I think I can change their perspective a bit.

Loved it. I've been clamoring for more GL stories set on Earth, so anytime I get one it's a treat.

I'm slowly reading through the recent Silver Age GL omni's DC put out. The family fight scene in this Annual was particularly funny because I'm reading about Jim Jordan's (then) girlfriend believing that Jim (and not Hal) is GL, so I got a kick out Morrison mentioning it.

I also recently re-read the Morrison/Millar Flash fill-in year from the 90s, so I enjoyed the call back to the radio people. Never thought I'd see them again.

now that's disappointing...