Page 216 of 222 FirstFirst ... 116166206212213214215216217218219220 ... LastLast
Results 3,226 to 3,240 of 3319
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It was pretty clear once things got going that the other heroes weren't going to play a big part. Despite initial promotions, it was never a "Crisis" type series where everyone gets involved.
    I hear you...it makes sense that Superman would be centered in the finale.

IMO, I think the issue where Manhattan defeated the American heroes should have been substituted with Doc defeating the entire GLC & the Guardians (with only heavy hitters like Captain Atom, Martian Manhunter, & Firestorm present).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    I'm just getting annoyed that Hal has to share everything with other Green Lanterns. His villains, his stories, his interactions with other characters, and so on. And still there are people out there saying Hal is the oppressor.
    The GL are suppose to be a police force not one guy.

Not one guy who has headline his OWN SOLO book at various times.

How many volumes starring him ALONE has he had versus the others? What about minis? Elseworlds? Merchandise?

He has had way more than all the others. WAY MORE. To be fair.

Folks are not asking to get rid of Hal but remember you got now 10 other Earth Lanterns running around. Who have fans-who are getting the hint that their money does not matter to DC with the only Hal matters.

That is not a Hal Jordan issue but a DC management issue.

Batman is not having this issue. How many of his kinfolks are boasting 100+ solo issues?
    Nor Superman. Supergirl, Steel, Conner, Lois & Jimmy boast at least 50 solo issues.
    Nor Spider-Man. Miles, Miguel, Venom, Jessica, Gwen, Mary Jane, Black Cat, Carnage and too many more to name.
    Everyone else can accept sharing the sugar but for some odd reason this one franchise can not.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

How many volumes starring him ALONE has he had versus the others? What about minis? Elseworlds? Merchandise?

Folks are not asking to get rid of Hal but remember you got now 10 other Earth Lanterns running around. Who have fans-who are getting the hint that their money does not matter to DC with the only Hal matters.

Batman is not having this issue. How many of his kinfolks are boasting 100+ solo issues?
    Nor Superman. Supergirl, Steel, Conner, Lois & Jimmy boast at least 50 solo issues.
    Nor Spider-Man. Miles, Miguel, Venom, Jessica, Gwen, Mary Jane, Black Cat, Carnage and too many more to name.
    Everyone else can accept sharing the sugar but for some odd reason this one franchise can not.
    The GL Corps isn't supposed to be about one guy, but it's a franchise that usually has a lead character or someone at the fore front. That's true for every franchise.

It's not like the other GL's haven't had solo content if we're going to be mentioning characters whose tiles have ended.

Reminder that this is an appreciation thread. It has been one of the few appreciation threads that have not resorted to mud-slinging towards other representatives of the same mantle, or people airing their own grievances towards the character the thread is meant to appreciate, or towards the way the current DC management supposedly sees that character. Let's try to keep it that way.
    Last edited by Johnny; 12-18-2019 at 07:02 PM.

The Four Corpsmen :

Incredible Member

Sorry, that’s not a problem to me. Hal should have more than others. He is the most popular Green Lantern. Hey, GL are supposed to be a police force because Julius Schwartz and John Broome added that concept into Hal Jordan when they revived the Green Lantern title. So please remember the corps exist because of Hal Jordan.
    Green Lantern is not a franchise as big as Batman, Superman or Spider-man. A lot of Batman’s kinfolks have 100+ solo issues, but Batman himself has tens of thousands of books. You can do the math. Calculate the ratio. Dick Grayson has way more appearances in comics than Hal. I do believe if John was a Robin he would get better treatment.
    Last edited by HAN9000; 12-18-2019 at 07:29 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Johns finally finished DDC.

I'm a broken record, but it is baffling as hell that Hal & the Guardians had no significant role in dealing with Dr. Manhattan.

Even if Jordan lost, I would have been game for the Guardians to give Hal all their power (making him a good Parallax with new armor) as he confronts Manhattan.
    Obviously it's not a story about fighting Manhattan but taming him.

Sorry, that’s not a problem to me. Hal should have more than others. He is the most popular Green Lantern. Hey, GL are supposed to be a police force because Julius Schwartz and John Broome added that concept into Hal Jordan when they revived the Green Lantern title. So please remember the corps exist because of Hal Jordan.
    Green Lantern is not a franchise as big as Batman, Superman or Spider-man. A lot of Batman’s kinfolks have 100+ solo issues, but Batman himself has tens of thousands of books. You can do the math. Calculate the ratio. Dick Grayson has way more appearances in comics than Hal. I do believe if John was a Robin he would get better treatment.
    Yep, that's how I see it too. Hal is the Green Lantern... the same way Bruce Wayne is 'Batman'. There may be others, but they are spin-offs of the 'main' character.The corps was a 'police force' but only very loosely, and no more than one active lantern in a sector at a time. They didn't NEED multiple lanterns. There weren't many jobs that ONE Lantern couldn't do. Best case scenario I've always advocated... Go back to the 90's version where Hal, John, Guy and the rest of the corps all had their own books.

The ones that sell, get the exposure.. the ones that don't, don't.

Trying to cram everyone into one or two books and sharing a spotlight has just been a disaster that frustrates everyone.

Let's not forget that it was supposed to be one guy who was meant to be the sole Green Lantern of our sector and then the concept got more and more diluted as creators decided to muddy the waters by creating pet characters of their own. While it has become ludicrous at this point Hal remains the core of the entire concept.
    Visit The Blog of Oa for Green Lantern News, Reviews, Podcasts and more

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The Four Corpsmen :

Now I'm thinking....Evolution.

Hal is HHH....I'm sure the haters will love that comparison.

Kyle is Randy Orton...another funny comparison.

John is Batista....the guy who got injured during basic stuff.

Guy is Nature Boy....no words needed.

Extraordinary Member

Obviously it's not a story about fighting Manhattan but taming him.
    Well......naturally.

My point was that it baffles me how Manhattan operated without any resistance from the Guardians. The New Gods, too, for that matter.

Then I remembered....Geoff Johns wrote this.

No biggie.

Extraordinary Member

TThat is not a Hal Jordan issue but a DC management issue.
    The run from the 1980's showed that multiple ring-slingers can operate within one book.

I think Hal should have a solo, with Guy, John, Kyle, Kilowog, Kat (wishful thinking), Sora, & Arisia headlining a GLC book. Although I think DC should have two Justice League books with Hal & Guy/Jessica as the GL representatives.

I really blame the creative forces at DC for not being able to properly exploit the GL franchise.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrumsey View Post
    Let's not forget that it was supposed to be one guy who was meant to be the sole Green Lantern of our sector and then the concept got more and more diluted as creators decided to muddy the waters by creating pet characters of their own. While it has become ludicrous at this point Hal remains the core of the entire concept.
    Yes, and from a narrative perspective I don't like aiming to be like Batman or Spider-Man at this point. Gotham has so many vigilantes they are practically the X-Men, and Spider-Man having a Spider-Family across time and the multiverse takes away from the grounded life story of Peter Parker and his supporting cast. Hell, the X-Men were designed to be a team and they were generally far better back when they were a smaller cast across only 1-2 books.

Nothing is so interesting that it needs to be franchised and have a multitude of spin offs that need to have 50-100 issues each. The original silver age GL concept was one GL per sector. I wouldn't mind going back to that and limiting it to one GL book starring Hal. I understand why they can't at this point, but it would be more interesting and less diluted.

Extraordinary Member

I think a Hal solo works with him operating in sector 2814. He should be a member of the Justice League, and deal with threats from space, and home-grown on Earth.

I think writers need to beef up the Earth-born threats.

Earth is supposed to be a big deal, but writers don't present enough reasons for a GL to spend much time on it.

A GLC book should be an honor guard book where the cast deals with cosmic threats, and assist GL's who need occasional assistance with their sectors.

The two books should have yearly 4-issue minimum crossovers every year.

Hal should be the GL of Earth, and more involved in big events.

Another cosmic book not GL related should be introduced. DC should try to establish a cosmic line of about three books (including GLC). DC needs to make space great again.

Somebody call Keith Giffen.

I think Hal should divide his time between Earth & space.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I think a Hal solo works with him operating in sector 2814. He should be a member of the Justice League, and deal with threats from space, and home-grown on Earth.

I think writers need to beef up the Earth-born threats.

Earth is supposed to be a big deal, but writers don't present enough reasons for a GL to spend much time on it.

A GLC book should be an honor guard book where the cast deals with cosmic threats, and assist GL's who need occasional assistance with their sectors.

The two books should have yearly 4-issue minimum crossovers every year.

Hal should be the GL of Earth, and more involved in big events.

Another cosmic book not GL related should be introduced. DC should try to establish a cosmic line of about three books (including GLC). DC needs to make space great again.

Somebody call Keith Giffen.

I think Hal should divide his time between Earth & space.
    I agree with absolutely everything you wrote.

Especially Kieth Giffen.