Page 27 of 222 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777127 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    Reminds me a lot of the late, great, Darywn Cooke .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Reminds me a lot of the late, great, Darywn Cooke .
    Darwyn Cooke is missed. Great respect for the man.

Darwyn's depiction of Hal in New Frontier was one of Johns' main inspirations for the character, so in a way we may not have Hal's Rebirth without Cooke. He's dearly missed.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    Oh wow, that makes me really excited. The art is amazing. I remember some review mentioning how Morrison's GL felt like the wild west in space and a "man with no name" is definitely a western trope. Wonder who that is.
    It was a solid issue, really interesting. What we all expected to happen happened, and the art in most pages is absolutely gorgeous (I felt some pages were a bit rushed). Looking forward to the next issue.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Darwyn's depiction of Hal in New Frontier was one of Johns' main inspirations for the character, so in a way we may not have Hal's Rebirth without Cooke. He's dearly missed.
    Quite right. Mr. Cooke was nothing short of amazing, and he got Hal.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Mighty Member

TGL #4 was great! Love Hal going all Eastwood.

Quote Originally Posted by vartox View Post
    Cue Morricone's theme song.

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    I agree with this. I hope Morrison's prepared something for the city without fear.
    i'd love to see the city without fear idea get expanded. like how metropolis is the city of tomorrow.

like how gotham is so rich in character, i'd like to see what makes coast city unique from the rest of the dcu.

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vartox View Post
    Hehe, I kind of saw this coming as soon as he was referred to as a "man with no name". Really cool issue, though it was mostly setup.

Incredible Member

I've been reading interviews and articles about Gil Kane these days. I found that he complained about early inkers always made the Green Lantern costume look like a sleeveless sweater, which bothered him no end. When Hal first came out in comics, his costume did look like a sleeveless sweater. After a few issues they changed it into representing a "diamond shape". Was Hal's costume originally designed that way, and the first sweater-like costume was just a result of the inkers not understood what Gil Kane tried to do?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    I've been reading interviews and articles about Gil Kane these days. I found that he complained about early inkers always made the Green Lantern costume look like a sleeveless sweater, which bothered him no end. When Hal first came out in comics, his costume did look like a sleeveless sweater. After a few issues they changed it into representing a "diamond shape". Was Hal's costume originally designed that way, and the first sweater-like costume was just a result of the inkers not understood what Gil Kane tried to do?
    I think Kane's own design evolved quite a bit, irregardless of the inker, but I am sure he had specific ideas about how he wanted his work finished.

I think his final design works best, but I think Cooke showed how cool Kane's original design was, too.

There were a few times in between when the suit looked really bad, though. Once the kinks were worked out, it became one of the best costumes in comics

Thought this review was pretty cool.

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...-with-no-name/

Digging into Hal Jordan himself, the issue literalizes another key aspect of the run that may be overlooked. Geoff Johns and Darwyn Cooke, with their respective turns on the character, explored a great facet of Jordan: the ace test pilot. However, that era of his life is long past and The Green Lantern has been exploring him as a nomadic cowboy hero. That subtext is now brought to the forefront as we see Jordan in a cowboy outfit, with an explicit reference being made to The Man With No Name, the iconic cowboy protagonist of the Sergio Leone film trilogy. Evoking the legendary Clint Eastwood character, Morrison and Sharp immediately establish what they’re going for here in their epic. Reading Jordan’s scenes in the issue, one can practically hear Morricone’s iconic The Ecstasy of Gold playing in the background. It’s the absolute perfect connection to draw between icons of pop culture and it absolutely works.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    Really cool colours!